Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Expanding a 3x4 to a 3x5

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I'm needing to expand my current cage from a 3x4 to a 3x5 to have it divided into two separate cages, a 3x3 for two males and then a 2x3 for another male.

They were all together in the 3x4 but the one that I just separated last night kept attacking the other two and gave them wounds so I have him in just a small quick 2x2 I put together last night to get him out from the other two. I know that isn't enough room for him so trying my hardest to make things work or I will be made to find him a new home.

So as I have a stand on my cage would I go ahead and add the divider to make the 3x3 so I can cut the zip ties on the end to add in my grids to expand to a 3x5 while keeping the two piggies in their cage? Or would it be better to take the two piggies out while I redo the whole thing as most of my connectors will have to be switched and I have zip ties everywhere that will have to be cut? Is a 3x3 even enough room for two boars?

heather81

Cavy Slave
I have 2 boars in a 3x3 and they do fine, a lot better than when they were in the 2x3.5. I usually put them in the play pen while i redo the cage so they're secure and out of the way while i create.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Oh thanks [MENTION=37693]heather81[/MENTION] I'll have to do that then so I can redo the stand it's on too. Did you put a stand on yours? How did you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradishmc17

Cavy Slave
i have 3 sows in a 3x5 and i haven't heard any bickering from them sense makes me think ill have to make a bigger cage when i get my 4th piggie wishin the next two months

heather81

Cavy Slave
Oh thanks @heather81 I'll have to do that then so I can redo the stand it's on too. Did you put a stand on yours? How did you do it?

Mine is on a stand, I just ziptied grids to the bottom. I put them in 4 parallel rows and then had a row down the center (my bins are 1.5 grids long so I was making it to fit them) and then I have a grid floor to make sure the "legs" didn't move.

20160823_164842.jpg20160626_000513.jpg

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
@ heather81 would a stand with no connectors being used like yours work on hardwood floors? I do t have carpet where they are and so I do t want my stand to move around. Right now my stand is closed all the way around except the front part where I store their food and extra stuff but I would like to have the foot space to get on the sides so it's easier to reach in to clean, do you think if I built cubes for the stand it would be sturdy enough for it?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You can have a stand with the cubes open, the closed ends are just inside, like a cross shape. That way you have ample storage area. If you build it two grids high, you really have a lot of storage room for all the fleece and uhaul pads. If you go 3 wide and 5 long with 2x2 cuts to 33 inches you can have just the cubes on the ends and a wide open space in the center, run a 2x2 down the center of the outer two grids to shore up the cage and you can fit a huge bag of bedding and a 50 lb box of hay under it. another plue to two grid high stand is the pigs are more level with you and you aren't so much of a giant anymore to them.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION] I only have about 59 grids to work with, and I have two different sets of grids so one is very thick and the other is thinner. Right now I'm using all of the thicker grids for the 3x4 cage I have and the thinner for a makeshift 2x2 till I can get the bigger cage taken apart and redone so just for the sides and base of the new 3x5 I know I'll need 31 grids which only leaves me with 28 grids but I'm hoping to use all thick grids for the cage which means I'll have to the thinner plus the left over thick ones for the stand.

I would like to do double grids on the stand but it sits right in front of my cable box so covering it up too much makes the remote not work. Plus I wouldn't have enough grids to do so.

I'm not really sure what you mean on how to leave a big open space in the middle for the stand part, would I just be building cubes on each of the corners and one directly in the center of the cage? Do you ha e a pic of it so I can see? I would really like to redo the cage either tonight or tomorrow but as soon as possible so my little bully in the 2x2 can have alittle more space to run in as he will be in the 2x3 section of the 3x5.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Thanks @lunarminx I only have about 59 grids to work with, and I have two different sets of grids so one is very thick and the other is thinner. Right now I'm using all of the thicker grids for the 3x4 cage I have and the thinner for a makeshift 2x2 till I can get the bigger cage taken apart and redone so just for the sides and base of the new 3x5 I know I'll need 31 grids which only leaves me with 28 grids but I'm hoping to use all thick grids for the cage which means I'll have to the thinner plus the left over thick ones for the stand.

I would like to do double grids on the stand but it sits right in front of my cable box so covering it up too much makes the remote not work. Plus I wouldn't have enough grids to do so.

I'm not really sure what you mean on how to leave a big open space in the middle for the stand part, would I just be building cubes on each of the corners and one directly in the center of the cage? Do you ha e a pic of it so I can see? I would really like to redo the cage either tonight or tomorrow but as soon as possible so my little bully in the 2x2 can have alittle more space to run in as he will be in the 2x3 section of the 3x5.

I will as soon as I can get to my pc. my son is playing games on it. But if you are just putting cubes at each corner that leaves the center open too. i use bedding so i have to make mine have lots of support.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Oh ok yeah I use fleece liners but I do have a small coroplast kitchen insert I will be using in each to contain the hay a bit more then all over the fleece but I only use alittle bit of bedding In those.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
100_0658.jpg100_0678.jpg100_0741.jpgAs you can see, two grids high give a huge amount of storage space. And to hold the huge box of hay, I leave open an area the would have been two cubes wide. I do use brackets to support the area, either wood i have had cut down or the support brackets from the cage store. And yes, Andy loves the piggies.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
b42ca8ff3b597161b518d4e587431818.jpg

So I've upgraded my cage to a 3x5 to house 3 boars in. 2 are in a 3x3 part of it and the other is in a 2x3. It's all I had space for as I did t want to get rid of the one who kept attacking the others.

I did a makeshift divider though that sits on top of my fleece. Does anyone have a way to make that more stable? Do I have to build it into the whole cage like make a 3x3 then attach a 2x3 next to it where the one wall they share? If that makes sense. And would I need to make a new coroplast base for each side then having it as one single like I do now? Can I get two bases out of a full sheet?

My single piggie Kylo tends to chew at the divider and moves it a bit so just trying to think of ways to make it better.

Any ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could put plexiglass along the inside of the cage that Kylo is in. It would both stop the chewing and support the divider.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah that could work, is that pretty cheap like coroplast?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.