Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Moths in my guineas food?

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
Ive been seeing more and more moths in my guinea pigs habitat so I was constantly cleaning it thinking that would help.. I just recently read a forum on here that said they are coming from the walmart brand food and that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I ordered this brand of food from chewy.com before and they loved it! They ate every single bite :) I just need to know your guy's opinion on it.
Its called Vitakraft VitaSmart Complete Nutrition Guinea Pig Food

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
The only pellet foods recommended on this forum come from either Oxbow or Kleenmama's Hayloft. Pretty much everything else is junk, including Vitakraft. Your money would be better spent paying a bit more for a high-quality food pellet. As for the moths, I don't really know... I suppose they could be coming from the food, especially if other people are having the same problem. If that is indeed where they're coming from, it's spoiled food and the pigs DEFINITELY don't need to be eating it!

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
@LittleSqueakers

I've been buying this food cuz right now it's all I can afford plus they get a handful of fresh veggies twice a day. I don't know if the manufacturer is packaging the food already spoiled but that could be a possibility.
I'm gonna go to petsmart this weekend and look for the oxbow brand so until I get it I'm going to just give them fresh fruits/veggies and their hay.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Moths can get in any grain product. You haven't lived until you've opened your pantry door and had a flock of moths fly out because your cereal was infested.

That Vitakraft food is not safe for guinea pigs. They have tiny throats, and should never be given hard seeds and nuts because of the danger of choking. Your pigs would be better off if you spent less on veggies and bought a better quality pellet.

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
@bpatters

I know they don't like food that is just pellets, I've had it before for them and they got tired of it and barely ate it after a week or so. I'll have to do more research on top rated food.

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
I have the oxbow skin and coat vitamins for them and they've never eaten them, if the pellets are anything like the vitamins id be wasting my money. the vitamins smell strongly like turmeric.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need skin and coat vitamins if they're getting a good quality pellet and veggies. You're spending more money than you need for less than good-quality products.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
My pigs never cared for the Oxbow vitamins either, but they ate the Oxbow pellets just fine.

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
@bpatters
do you know if there's anywhere that I can get a sample of those pellets before I buy a a whole bag?

pennayy

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]
do you know if there's anywhere that I can get a sample of those pellets before I buy a a whole bag?

buy a bag at petco, keep the receipt, & if they don?t like it, return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use KMS Hayloft pellets -- they're the freshest you can find. And about the price of Oxbow. Check with (broken link removed) and see if they'll send you a sample.

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
@bpatters the only two kinds they have are alfalfa and Timothy. I already give them timothy hay every day so should I be getting a different kind of pellet that has more nutrition?

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
I'd definitely try to switch their food! If they refuse eating the Oxbow then try mixing it with their old food and eventually they won't know the difference. I know Oxbow is pricey but I recently bought a 25 lb bag on chewy.com for $32.
I also use Small Pet Select pretty often. My pigs perfer their brand over anything. Their pellets and hay are fresh and shipped to you within a couple days. They also have healthy treats that are actually good and don't have any added sugars like most store bought items do. If you decide to give them a try they usually have a discount for new members and bundle deals.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
@Cierra_95 I got stuff off of the small pet select site before, I love it! Yeah im gonna have to mix it with their food to change them over lol. Thank you for the advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.