Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Very aggressive female babies won't get along with anybody - is it puberty?

saresare93

Cavy Slave
I'd let them be. They're establishing their hierarchy. I've had a trio together for some time and they still go through phases where they test one another. It's normal.

How far/long do you suggest accepting it? Like should I be worried if it carries on for more than X amount of time, or if she starts nipping her more than Y times a day, etc?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You separate them when they turn into rolling, biting balls of fur, with bloodshed. Otherwise you leave them alone to work it out.

What your pigs are doing is perfectly normal.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I just got through introducing my newest pig to my pair. It was awful. My pair who had always gotten along started being aggressive to each other and almost fought a few times, and one kept lunging at the new pig and nipping her, then would chase her around nipping her repeatedly, while the new pig squeaked pitifully and attempted to hide in the corner all day. She was too scared to move because the other pig would attack her all the time. Thankfully blood was never drawn, but I was very tempted to separate them many times.

Then after about a week, I magically had a happy trio. My two original pigs still rumblestrut and hump the new one from time to time, but she's no longer afraid of them and they tolerate her being near them. I guess they got over themselves and decided she wasn't so bad after all.

Anyway I know that's not quite the same as your situation, but I just wanted to share my difficult intro story. Best of luck with your angry piggies!

saresare93

Cavy Slave
I just got through introducing my newest pig to my pair. It was awful. My pair who had always gotten along started being aggressive to each other and almost fought a few times, and one kept lunging at the new pig and nipping her, then would chase her around nipping her repeatedly, while the new pig squeaked pitifully and attempted to hide in the corner all day. She was too scared to move because the other pig would attack her all the time. Thankfully blood was never drawn, but I was very tempted to separate them many times.

Then after about a week, I magically had a happy trio. My two original pigs still rumblestrut and hump the new one from time to time, but she's no longer afraid of them and they tolerate her being near them. I guess they got over themselves and decided she wasn't so bad after all.

Anyway I know that's not quite the same as your situation, but I just wanted to share my difficult intro story. Best of luck with your angry piggies!

At first Cinnamon hated Ella but now they're best buds. Then when I tried reintroducing everyone, Ella and Cinnamon started fighting, and I was terrified that I'd lost a successful pair. However once they were on their own they were best friends again. I am hoping it is similar with Latte and Vera - hopefully Latte settles down and realises that Vera's not a threat, like yours did. Fingers crossed. ^_^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.