Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth What is this lump?! Abscess?

• Thread starter ginipigsinspace
  • Start date

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I just returned from being gone overnight and when I checked in on my boys I noticed something red on Chewie's lip. Upon further investigation, I found this huge lump in his mouth/on his lip and cheek. I already have the first available appointment with my vet, at 6:30, but I would Love some feedback on what it might be. It definitely was not there two days ago when I had him out for lap time, and I am pretty sure it was not there yesterday when I loaded up their food, water, and hay. It doesn't look like it is keeping him from eating entirely--although he is definitely not diving in with the same gusto as normal--and he is acting pretty normal, but I am sure it must be painful. There are no cuts in his face near the lump, and none I can see inside his mouth. He does seem to have a scratch on his ear on that side... Could infection from that cause an abscess? It doesn't look infected, but that is the only thing I can think it would be. Here are some shots of the lump:
IMG_2871.jpgIMG_2875.jpgIMG_2879.jpgIMG_2877.jpgIMG_2882.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Possibly a tooth abscess, probably lymphadenitis. If the latter, it's very contagious if the lump opens, which it can do. He needs to see an exotic vet ASAP for antibiotics and possible surgical removal.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the quick response @bpatters. I already pulled him out of the cage and have him temporarily in a large plastic bin--partially in case it was contagious, partially so I could monitor him. I have an appointment with my exotic vet at 6:30--which was their first available appointment. I assume if it is the latter, he will need to be housed separately for the time being? If so, how removed should he be and for how long? Would it be quarantine rules? I assume I would have to reintroduce?

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
So an update and a few questions. I brought Chewie into the vet the day I first made this post, and to my relief the vet (who is the (broken link removed) recommended exotic vet from the rescue where I got my boys) said it was not a tooth issue or a lymph node issue--it was just a small abscess due to, as far as she could tell, a scratch or irritation in his mouth. Anyway, she drained it and gave us some antibiotics (Orbifloxacian). I asked about putting him back in with Han and she said it was no problem unless I thought Han would pick on him (since I mentioned they do tend to play rough). After some thought, I ended up putting Chewie back in with Han. While they do bicker, I figured it would be potentially worse to have to reintroduce and I really don't have a very good second set-up.

Everything has been great: the abscess was barely visible, Chew was great at taking his medicine, and there were no unusual fights. However, this morning I found Chewie with blood down the side of his face. At first I was terrified that he had bit Han, but I found Han and saw no marks on him. So it was obvious that the abscess must have opened. My husband took Chewie into the vet where they drained the abscess again and gave us a wash along with more antibiotics. My husband said they indicated that it would be fine to put him back in again, but I just wanted to check opinions here. I haven't put Chewie back in the cage yet--he has just been chilling in the little pouch I made for them while I write a paper. He is definitely extra cuddly and sweet right now. He keeps snuggling up and drowzing off and then asking for pets, which are greeted with his extra purry, clucky, bubbly sound.

I do want to mention that I have noticed a sudden increase in the amount that he nibbles on the coroplast. I covered up the spot he was going at the most with fleece, which helped but I wonder if that could be what irritated his mouth?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In pigs, an abscess can be encapsulated (surrounded by a sac). If you don't remove the sac, the abscess will keep returning. So it may be that the vet needs to remove the sac in order for things to get straightened out.

Chewing can be a sign of pain.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.