Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating His pills- Hershy (foster)

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
I was finally able to take him the shelter vet yesterday. They shaved him because not only did he have the chin thing which I told them about he also had big nasty cuts all over his right side facing me (I didn't know about these. They gave me pills and told me to give him 1/2 every 12 hours and sent me on my way. They said he should just eat them by himself if not however then you need to put them in a fruit or vegetable, like a strawberry. So of course he refuses to take the pill. My problem with the strawberry method is he could not realize the pill is there and choke. What do I do?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Can you crush it and mix it in a little water or juice and syringe feed it to him? I know juice is not usually recommended because of the sugar content, but we're talking a cc or less, and if that's the only way he will take it, i say do it.

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89 Awesome thank you :) I just gave it to him so he's kind of mad :/

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Glad I could help! Sometimes you have to get a little creative with these guys. I've never actually heard of giving a guinea pig a pill before. I had a pig once that was sick and the vet crushed up his antibiotics and made a suspension with light corn syrup because they didn't have any liquid pig-safe antibiotics on hand.

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
I was questioning the pill method my self but he was a vet

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, a lot of vets don't know much about small animals. Even vets that claim to be exotic vets can be pretty ignorant and misinformed.

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
@Nazgul Sadly I can't do anything about it because he is a foster pig and can only go the shelter's vet :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.