Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking To Adopt 2 More Males!

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have currently two healthy males.

I am expanding their home, and I am trying to find local shelters in NewBrunswick, NJ USA to adopt 2 more male guinea pigs.
I want to have 4 because it want them to be a little herd and play with each other.
The current two get along very well and play a lot, but i want them to have more fun!

If its a good idea to get two more male guinea pigs and slowly introduce them to the current ones...let me know....

If anyone knows where I can adopt two more also let me know!

I don't want to purchase two more guinea pigs even though they're $37 at the petstore near me and it makes me angry that this still exists....they should ban selling them like they did with sellign puppies at the pet store.....sigh anyways different topic for different time....

Let me know if anyone knows a shelter near me listed above! I really want my own little herd <3 :love::love::love::love::love::love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't do it. Multiple males almost always makes for a disaster. Not only will they likely not get along, the two you currently have may not get along any more either.

You'd also need at least 14 square feet of flat, unblocked area for that many males, and more would be better.

If you want a herd, you'll much more likely be successful with sows, or with one neutered male and several sows.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Don't do it. Multiple males almost always makes for a disaster. Not only will they likely not get along, the two you currently have may not get along any more either.

You'd also need at least 14 square feet of flat, unblocked area for that many males, and more would be better.

If you want a herd, you'll much more likely be successful with sows, or with one neutered male and several sows.

The space isn't an issue.

adopting sows im concerned because i don't want to adopt one that can get pregnant. i dont want babies because i dont want to risk of losing the sow.
trying to research this.

the two males i currently have are so happy...but i just want them to have friends without having to risk of having pregnant guinea pigs haha....

ive seen that neutoring surgeries for the guinea pigs can be dangerous...most cases they end up getting an infection and they die....i dont want that either so its like i want a herd but i need to do it careful and thoughtfully.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
the two males i currently have are so happy..
ive seen that neutoring surgeries for the guinea pigs can be dangerous...most cases they end up getting an infection and they die

If you want them to remain happy, then listen to the voice of experience in @bpatters and don't try to add more unless they are in a separate cage.:eek:hmy:

You seem to be confused about certain aspects of cavy care. Be cautious as to where you get your advice from. The Internet is filled with people who have little knowledge of proper care AND health issues and yet they constantly offer advice. Neutering is very safe when done by a competent cavy-savvy Vet. I have had almost all my boars neutered with not one problem. Of course, there is a risk with any surgery, but in this case it can be minimal.

This Forum is loaded with extremely experienced guinea pig lovers & owners and is one of the best places to seek advice. I also recommend guinealynx.com especially for medical advice. However, all the good advice in the world won't help you if you are determined to do things your way and not listen to those who have far more experience.

You say that you have a lot of room to expand. That's great........I wish I had that luxury. But, please make your decision thoughtfully and carefully so that you don't later encounter problems and regret it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll add to the advice listed here. Two boars is plenty. If they are happy together already, count your HUGE blessings and keep it that way. I can speak from experience here, having tried more than two myself.

If you try to introduce more, you'll likely be setting yourself up for a bad scenario. Guinea pig teeth are extremely sharp and can inflict grievous injury on another, and I personally know of two instances where a bitten pig has lost their life due to those injuries.

If you've got two boars that get along great, my heartfelt advice would be to keep it that way.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
I'll add to the advice listed here. Two boars is plenty. If they are happy together already, count your HUGE blessings and keep it that way. I can speak from experience here, having tried more than two myself.

If you try to introduce more, you'll likely be setting yourself up for a bad scenario. Guinea pig teeth are extremely sharp and can inflict grievous injury on another, and I personally know of two instances where a bitten pig has lost their life due to those injuries.

If you've got two boars that get along great, my heartfelt advice would be to keep it that way.

Would it be safe to say then maybe i should look into getting two females instead?
that way each boar has a partner?

I just love having guinea pigs as my companions and i want to adopt more! Maybe right now it might not be good idea idk.

the boys love each other though so idk if adding females would make them happier or if they would even care haha

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd need to have the boars neutered or the females spayed if you put them in male-female pairs. Neutering the boars is the cheaper, safer option.

zazzgu198

Cavy Gazer
i'll add to the advice listed here. Two boars is plenty. If they are happy together already, count your huge blessings and keep it that way. I can speak from experience here, having tried more than two myself.

If you try to introduce more, you'll likely be setting yourself up for a bad scenario. Guinea pig teeth are extremely sharp and can inflict grievous injury on another, and i personally know of two instances where a bitten pig has lost their life due to those injuries.

great post!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.