Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Jojo's best horrible

scoottie

Cavy Slave
My order of Jojo's best arrived today and the quality is just horrible orchard grass hay is nothing but pokey stalks and I found a dead fuzzy animal inside of the hay. I am so grossed out.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Ew! You should leave a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Oh I did alright and I email the company.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not very good hay, and anything packages in bags that small is going to get dried out and stale because it'll sit on the shelf in a warehouse.

Do yourself a favor and save enough money to order a 50 box online. American Pet Diner and Small Pet Select have excellent hay that will be fresh and green.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
it was in a 10 pound box

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I just ordered 2 12oz bags of Small Pet Select on Amazon for 4.99 each. I had ordered a 20lb box last fall not realizing how much hay that was. Cheaper, but I didn't have any way to store and in all honesty a lot ended up on the floor and in the trash. I must be handicapped at hay handling. LOL The quality of the hay was great. It's just that the amount was over whelming. Anyway, just to let people know that you can get Small Pet on Amazon for a fairly reasonable price, and that's with free shipping. They also offer their larger boxes with Prime if your a member of that. I don't know how long they've been doing this, so, it may be old news, but it's new to me. LOL

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I just ordered 2 12oz bags of Small Pet Select on Amazon for 4.99 each. I had ordered a 20lb box last fall not realizing how much hay that was. Cheaper, but I didn't have any way to store and in all honesty a lot ended up on the floor and in the trash. I must be handicapped at hay handling. LOL The quality of the hay was great. It's just that the amount was over whelming. Anyway, just to let people know that you can get Small Pet on Amazon for a fairly reasonable price, and that's with free shipping. They also offer their larger boxes with Prime if your a member of that. I don't know how long they've been doing this, so, it may be old news, but it's new to me. LOL

I ordered my normal hay which is oxbow my boys love it and I love it as well I may try small pet select eventually.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I normally buy my orchard grass hay from Sierra Valley, but noted that on their website they indicate their crop was not particularly good this year. So, after all the glowing reviews of Small Pet Select hay, I decided to try a 25lb box of their orchard grass.

Great price with a discount, but WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! There was a good bit of brown in the mix and it just didn't have that wonderful aroma of fresh hay. The strands aren't very long and the hay crumbles. And, the boys just aren't that excited about it either.

When KMS Bluegrass hay was good, there was nothing better. But, after getting burned on a couple of orders, I simply refused to put up with the service.......or lack thereof.

I guess it could have been a bad box ive seen reviews on youtube and the animals just love it.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Ewww @ the dead animal in the hay, they should send you a replacement bag/box. I get my timothy hay from Small Pet Select, but my boys have been off it lately, and decided orchard grass is their new favorite. I just received a 10 pound box from SPS yesterday and it's lovely. It has plenty of long green strands and smells fresh too. I guess it's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I normally buy my orchard grass hay from Sierra Valley, but noted that on their website they indicate their crop was not particularly good this year. So, after all the glowing reviews of Small Pet Select hay, I decided to try a 25lb box of their orchard grass.Great price with a discount, but WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! There was a good bit of brown in the mix and it just didn't have that wonderful aroma of fresh hay. The strands aren't very long and the hay crumbles. And, the boys just aren't that excited about it either.When KMS Bluegrass hay was good, there was nothing better. But, after getting burned on a couple of orders, I simply refused to put up with the service.......or lack thereof.
I switched from their 2nd cut to 3rd cut and the same thing happened to me. The strands are longish..but not as long as I'd like them to be. There are also a lot of tiny pieces or “clippings” that always gets in my pigs' eyes. I have to shoo them away when I'm re-filling their hayrack. SPS hay is also really dusty, or at least for me. I have to keep the hay in the garage so every time I go in there to get some, all the dust makes ME cough sometimes. It's not that bad though. My boys don't seem to have a problem with it. They seem to really like it since it's all leafy and soft :)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Honestly I don't like small pet select hey, it's kind of hard in the strands are cut a little longer than I would like, but every once in a while one of the rescues I follow will do a fundraiser with them vvv

Order your pellets and Timothy hay from Small Pet Select and don't forget to use our code : PIGGYHAVEN all caps no space to get free shipping and a portion goes back to our rescue to help feed the piggies at Piggy haven.

https://smallpetselect.com/timothy-hay/

aseycay

Cavy Slave
I ordered a 10 pound box of JoJo's best Timothy hay for my girls from Chewy and thought the quality was outstanding! I am a new piggie owner, but it is very green and smells wonderful!
I was not as happy with the 9 pound bag of Oxbow alfalfa hay though. It has very pokey branches and is so dry and brittle. The girls definitely prefer the JoJo's so far!
As a new piggie owner it is hard to know which hay to go with... as so many folks seem to have conflicting results!

This is a picture of the JoJo's
20170415_002927.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are three potential problems with hay quality: 1) the weather during the growing season, 2) the weather during harvesting season, and 3) how and how long it's stored. Nobody can do anything about the first two. Some years, some parts of the country will have wonderful weather for haying, other years much of the country will have horrible years. It's always good to ask a company how the quality of their hay is before you order. Most will tell you -- it costs them money and bad publicity when you're unhappy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.