Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My little miss guinea has a boo boo

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you were so misinformed from the pet store. May I ask why did you get the piggy in the first place? I know first hand that piggys are not beginner animals and also not the right critter to get if you are looking for a easy animal not afraid of you or hard work. They also are a lot of money to care for. In addition to 24/7 high quality hay, they need high quality pellets and 1 cup of fresh veggies everyday to include high vitamin c veggies like bell pepper. These are all must for their health. You also need to factor in the cost of bedding. In addition to these are an initial vet visit plus any others. Now take these prices and double them for two piggys since they need friends. Honestly if I was in your shoes I would either 1) return the piggy to pet store or 2) bring her to an animal shelter so she can find a responsible home. I understand they are so cute and adorable it is easy to want to adopt one. Heck I saw my Little Bear for adoption and spent all night hastily putting together a cxc cage and getting all needed supplies. But I also have the time and finances to support a piggy. Now if her heart is deadset on keeping her then you need to be realistic about the quality of care required and first thing first get a bigger cage. Return the one at the petstore telling them you made a mistake and it is waay to small to fit a guinea pig. Cancel your order on Chewy and use that money to make a cxc cage. You need $15 for coroplast and $20 for a set of grids, plus $5 for zipties if you want to extra secure everything. All for 40$ which is significanly cheaper then any stupid too small pet store cage. Let us know what you decide/do.

jds2017

Cavy Slave
Excuse me for sounding rude but that cage is not acceptable no matter the age. What cage are you getting off chewy.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
You will need two of those cages to make a suitable cage for two guinea pigs.

jds2017

Cavy Slave
You will need two of those cages to make a suitable cage for two guinea pigs.

Okay so is one right now okay? Because she is not getting a friend until after Christmas and her sore is 100% better and she has had her check up with the vet.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Compared to the pet store cage she was in, yes one of the midwest will be okay. Bigger is always better. It also is easier to clean too :)

jds2017

Cavy Slave
Compared to the pet store cage she was in, yes one of the midwest will be okay. Bigger is always better. It also is easier to clean too :)

Thanks

jds2017

Cavy Slave
I don?t think her sore is getting any better

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are you treating it with? And how often?

jds2017

Cavy Slave
What are you treating it with? And how often?

I was not putting anything on it. Because she won?t allow me around it. I made a vet appointment on the 12th so let?s hope it?s nothing to worry about

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She won't allow you around it? You're a grown, or nearly grown human, and this is a two or three pound animal? Who's allowing who to do what? It's your responsibility to take care of her medical needs, whether she likes it or not.

You can treat it yourself. I recommended, in the second post on this thread, nine days ago, that you treat it with neosporin. It's available at any pharmacy or grocery store. You also need q-tips to apply it with. Apply a small amount twice daily, and rub it in well. If it doesn't improve after a week or so on neosporin, you can switch to triple antibiotic ointment and apply it the same way.

And get over the "she won't let me" excuse quickly. Because if she gets sick enough to need medication through a syringe, she really won't like that, and your failure to treat her may well mean that she'll die. She's yours, she's your responsibility, and you're not living up to it.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Okay so is one right now okay? Because she is not getting a friend until after Christmas and her sore is 100% better and she has had her check up with the vet.

Here you say her sore is and I quote "100% better" and then right after you say this-

I don?t think her sore is getting any better

Why lie about a serious medical issue?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Here you say her sore is and I quote "100% better" and then right after you say this-?

They meant that she won't be getting a friend until after all three of those conditions are met, those conditions are "after Christmas", "sore must be 100% better", "must have a vet check". Not that the sore was already better.

As for how to treat the sore I agree with bpatters, apply the cream she recommended. If your guinea pig is uncooperative it can help to hold them in a certain way. The easiest way to hold them to apply/give meds is to place them on a table, sit down, with your non-dominant hand place the guinea pig between your arm and body in the crook of your elbow (so that they can't back up or run to the sides) and use that hand to carefully but firmly secure their head, the use your dominant hand to give/apply the medicine. If that doesn't work well you can do a towel burrito, which is basically where you wrap the guinea pig up in a towel so they can't wiggle away, and have the bit you need to treat poking out the hole at the front, which in this case you would be her head.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Oops! I misread that sentence. I apologize.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.