Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

She’s here!

petluv

Cavy Slave
Ok that one was sideways but whatever. Here’s her in her favorite place her pigloo.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Hope this one works!

Attachments

D7DCC5D6-961C-4273-B3B0-B9688E53C1C5.jpg

petluv

Cavy Slave
Sorry don’t know how i got the first one but now it won’t post again.

petluv

Cavy Slave
One last try.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Bummer, sorry, at least I got one up! lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@petluv, you can edit a post for 10 minutes after you make it. No need to keep making new ones.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Sorry bpatters. I really was struggling to get it to show. I thought a new post would help it take. I’ll just not post pics then since I don’t have the hang of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nobody knows why some of them post sideways, so don't worry about it. But all you have to do is click on the Insert Image at the top of these reply boxes and choose your image.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry bpatters. I really was struggling to get it to show. I thought a new post would help it take. I’ll just not post pics then since I don’t have the hang of it.

You'll get the hang of it. Don't give up, we all had to start somewhere!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Princess Abby is as cute as ever!! :love: I'm horrible with technology myself lol . Looks like both pics are up now!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
She is adorable and looks like she has it made!

The photos post sideways because the forum software doesn't rotate photos right side up. Cell phones and tablets do that automatically, so no matter how you hold your phone or tablet when you take a photo, they will be shown right side up. But other software doesn't know which way is up. If you snap the photos with your phone vertical or portrait, it should post right side up. I think you could also edit the photo on your phone, rotate it 90 degrees and save it.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the techno encouragement! lol

My girl is doing great with hay and a small veggie assortment. She won’t touch her pellets! She has the premium Oxbow kind and just ignores it entirely. She is a bit of a picky piggy. She likes her hay refreshed every few hours. She will snub the leftovers and waits for the fresh stuff. It’s so cute! Veggies she still only eats leaf lettuce (I make sure to give her as much as the leafy parts as I can) and one baby carrot a day. She snubs peppers. She’d eat a lot of carrots if I let her but I know she should only have one baby carrot a day based on what I’ve read here. She also LOVED the apple slice I gave her and would eat daily if I let her. I think she has a bit of a sweet tooth! lolI’ll keep trying peppers, as I know they are so good for them, but we will see if she picks up on them.

So is leaf lettuce alone enough Vitamin C for her since she won’t eat the peppers or her Oxbow pellets? I’m worried it might not be but you aren’t going to force undesirables down a picky piggy. :p I’m still going to offer her pellets, but is it a huge deal if they won’t eat it? Suggestions? Thanks!

petluv

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add we are making big progress in her getting used to me. She still of course hides immediately when I come near or open her cage but if I have treats she will stick her head out to get them from my hand and takes them immediately in with her but that’s progress! Fresh hay I think is her absolute favorite thing to eat. After she runs laps and hides, and runs more laps and hides, if there is fresh hay my hand is an acceptable sight but only if it’s freshening the hay. lolShe will even come out of hiding to get the hay while I’m still there, course she runs away again if I move wrong, and doesn’t want touched of course, but hands touching and bringing her the fresh hay is a good thing in her mind! lol

She is also still allowing me to pet her in her pigloo. Today I picked her up and she didn’t really like it, tried to jump back in the cage, but once wrapped in the towel she let me hold her a couple minutes before she started nipping the towel and considering piggy suicide. lol

So these small steps are huge progress in my book! Oh and she always wheeks when she hears us getting up or coming in front door. Then again if she hears the fridge. She actually wheeks if she hears us get up to use those bathroom at night but of course we just say hi, but I think she’s understanding that 2 am isn’t treat time., as much as she hopes it was otherwise. :p

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
@petluv -- which kind of Oxbow pellets do you have? I use the Oxbow Essentials, but there's also Garden Select, and I've heard that some piggies don't like the taste of the Garden Select. If that's the case, you could try the Essentials and see if Abby likes them better. Or try Kaytee Timothy Complete; it's reasonably good quality as well. Don't know what to say about the peppers, though... Tannim loves them so I haven't had any problems that way. Have you tried different colors? I just get yellow for Tannim, but I know that orange and red are a bit sweeter, so maybe Abby would like one of them better? Might be worth a try.

So awesome that Abby is getting so used to you! Tannim isn't much of a talker, but he gets his wishes across to me anyhow. He comes over to the side of his cage at the same time every evening and stares at me as if to say, "Mama... Salad time. NOW." (Either that, or he stands on the side of his pellet bowl and gives me a big-eyed "I'm starving..." look. :p)

Oh, and back to the veggie/pellet thing... I don't know how much leaf lettuce you're giving her, but maybe she's filling up on that and that's part of the reason she's snubbing the pellets? I don't know. It's a thought.

petluv

Cavy Slave
MaiaBex: My bag says Oxbow Essentials adult guinea pig. She does eat a good amount of lettuce, 3-4 leaves. It says to give them as much as they are big. So I think 3-4 leaves scrunches down to her size. Maybe that isn’t exactly how it works, open for suggestions.

Seriously though if she overeats anything it’s her HAY! I know they say unlimited but I’m going to go broke with her silver spoon tastes for hay. lol Not only the amount, but Princess Abby demands it be refreshed and OFTEN! Princess Abby couldn’t possibly eat 3 hour old hay (I’m thinking Princess Abby suits her more and more as time goes by! lol). She also just sniffs the hay for several minutes (I swear she is getting some sort of piggy ‘high’ when she does this) before she sifts through the entire pile to find that exact perfect piece to start her hay feast. lol Princess Abby would not have survived in the wild, she relies too much on the human (aka ‘Hay Fairy’) to deliver her fresh hay every 2-3 hours. :p

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
MaiaBex: My bag says Oxbow Essentials adult guinea pig. She does eat a good amount of lettuce, 3-4 leaves. It says to give them as much as they are big. So I think 3-4 leaves scrunches down to her size. Maybe that isn’t exactly how it works, open for suggestions.

Seriously though if she overeats anything it’s her HAY! I know they say unlimited but I’m going to go broke with her silver spoon tastes for hay. lol Not only the amount, but Princess Abby demands it be refreshed and OFTEN! Princess Abby couldn’t possibly eat 3 hour old hay (I’m thinking Princess Abby suits her more and more as time goes by! lol). She also just sniffs the hay for several minutes (I swear she is getting some sort of piggy ‘high’ when she does this) before she sifts through the entire pile to find that exact perfect piece to start her hay feast. lol Princess Abby would not have survived in the wild, she relies too much on the human (aka ‘Hay Fairy’) to deliver her fresh hay every 2-3 hours. :p

LOL.. I'm thinking "Princess" suits her too! :cool: I'm not sure on counting number of leaves; I use a spring mix that comes in a plastic clam shell and give Tannim about a handful a day. I've heard "a cup of veggies", and while I've never actually measured what I give him, it looks like the right amount in his bowl.

Do you use a hay rack or a pile? If it's a pile, you could try just putting in a handful the every 2-3 hours that Princess Abby demands. But unlimited, yes... and sometimes I feel like I'm pitching perfectly good hay when I'm cleaning, so you're not alone.

As for the pellets, maybe try a different brand... IDK. That's not an issue I've really run into -- Tannim isn't a picky piggie. The only one he's ever turned his nose up at was the bulk pellets I got once when I was in a crunch, and even then he ate them, just not as quickly or as much. (And popcorned all over the place when I was able to replace his Oxbow... I think "Cavy Slave" perfectly describes US! :D) Someone else would probably be able to give you a better answer on the importance of pellets in a piggie's diet.

Best wishes to the Princess in her quest for the perfect hay -- she sounds so adorable! :love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It is very possible to feed a pig so many veggies that they neglect their hay. And that causes problems for you and for them -- overgrown teeth are expensive, and planing them is often painful. I'd limit that to no more than one lettuce leaf per day, and maybe not that much if you're giving other veggies.

She'll eat hay that has been in the cage a while. Just mix it up and put it back in there. She won't know the difference. But don't limit her hay unless you want major problems down the road.

petluv

Cavy Slave
It is very possible to feed a pig so many veggies that they neglect their hay. And that causes problems for you and for them -- overgrown teeth are expensive, and planing them is often painful. I'd limit that to no more than one lettuce leaf per day, and maybe not that much if you're giving other veggies.

She'll eat hay that has been in the cage a while. Just mix it up and put it back in there. She won't know the difference. But don't limit her hay unless you want major problems down the road.
Oh I don’t limit her hay, she always has hay, just not as fresh as she seems to like it. Or it may be the different pieces she’s after. Lol! She eats lots of hay. My problem is I can’t get her to eat her pellets. :confused: I was wondering if the hay and leaf lettuce was sufficient for her daily nutrients. I also am looking for any tips on how to get her to eat her pellets.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets are the best for getting required vitamins and minerals into them.

I'd cut way back on the veggies and see if she'll start eating the pellets. If not, she can get along without them, but you'll have to provide a very varied diet of colored veggies, and also give a vitamin supplement.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Pellets are the best for getting required vitamins and minerals into them.

I'd cut way back on the veggies and see if she'll start eating the pellets. If not, she can get along without them, but you'll have to provide a very varied diet of colored veggies, and also give a vitamin supplement.
Ok I will try very little veggies. If she still won’t eat pellets, she won’t eat most veggies either. What am I going to do? I don’t want her to not grow properly or get sick. What kind of vitamin supplement?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.