Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should I adopt these guinea pigs?

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
I have researched guinea pigs for months. I am 99% sure that there are no guinea pig rescues in my state (I did a lot of online searching). However, the there are two animal shelters that are both several hours away and have guinea pigs. I will be going through both of these towns on Monday and probably wont be there again for a long time. I would like some opinions about how I could go about adopting them.

About the guinea pigs:
The guinea pigs that I am looking at are on the website below. All 4 of them are males and I will have to call to see if any of them are kept in pairs already. I am guessing that at least one of them is living alone. Is it worth adopting them together even if they don't get along with eachother? I am not even sure how many I would adopt. I know I want at least two but I also know that I have the supplies/space for all four. Based on photos alone I love (broken link removed) and (broken link removed)'s colors. I would of course adopt based on personality but they are still adorable.
(broken link removed)

About my supplies/knowledge

Cage- I have 23 grids so can make many different cage setups with this and I also could get more grids easily. I think that if none of them were kept together I would give each pig a 2 by 3 cage with grids separating the cages so they can see each other and communicate. Basicaly I would make a 3 by 8 cage with dividers. (that takes up a ton of space in my room so if I get more grids I might make two levels with one or more pigs on top but the same floor space as the 3 by 8 if I got all 4)

Bedding - I have fleece bedding with towels underneath and instead of coroplast I use a shower curtain liner. After the cage size and all that is figured out I would like to build a kitchen area with bedding.

Food -
Pellets: Oxbow (I will ask the shelter for some of the food they are on to introduce them slowly). I plan to do 1/4 cup per pig daily until I get them eating vegetables well when I might change it to 1/8 cup.
Hay: I have access to some wonderful meadow hay (I know the people who grew it). If they don't like it I could buy timothy hay also.
Veggies: I have read and printed out a whole bunch of veggie charts and can't wait to see what they like. Also I'm super excited to expend the garden for them.

Toys/hides -
Since I don't know how many guinea pigs I'm getting I might need to buy one or two more hides but I have plenty of toys/chews.

Thanks for all replies and sorry if I rambled. I'm super excited. How many of them should I get and how should I introduce them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The major expense in guinea pigs is vet bills. Small animal (dog and cat) vets can't treat them adequately, and exotic vets can be hard to find. The first thing you need to consider is whether or not you can afford vet care for your pigs. If you can, and are willing to have to drive as far as it takes to get them to an exotic vet, there's no reason not to get as many as you have room for.

If they're adult pigs, limit them to 1/8 cup per day. More is risking bladder stones from the added calcium in the pellets.

I wouldn't buy hideys at this point. Upside-down cardboard boxes, no lids, with holes cut in the ends, work very well. So do plastic step stools, fleece draped across the corners of the cage, and fleece forests.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I agree with @bpatters. If you can afford vet care for them and have the space to separate them if necessary then I would get them all.

Also just make sure that you are committed to treating them for things like fungus or lice or mites should they have them. It can be pretty overwhelming but it is so worth it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If you are capable of providing the care for all four then I see no reason not to get all of them, except if any happened to be incorrectly sexed which of course you should double check when you are there.

If they don't work out as one big group you could keep them as two separate pairs. If they end up as two separate pairs you could look into doing slightly smaller stacked cages (think 2x5 or 3x3 or 3x4 for one pair, then a second cage stacked above that is the same size, with adequate space in between the cages to allow you access to clean the bottom cage).

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
Good point @Soecara. I didn't think about them sexing them incorrectly. I will be sure to check.

I think that if/when they need vet care it would be best to ask for the same vet that takes care of them at the animal shelter. I would hope that since they have 4 guinea pigs and other exotics that they would have or know of a good exotic vet in the state. You never know for sure how good the vet will be till you meet them. As for vet funds I have savings set aside and a plan for how the savings will grow.

How hard would it be to introduce two adult males? I've never introduced males before (not hard to tell when to separate them though). I was thinking that I could give them a bath and place them in a completely new place with new items. I could try to introduce them when I get them home the first day. Do you think that would be a good idea or should I let them meet through the bars first? I wonder if they might enjoy the company of another pig after the scary car ride and the new surroundings which could make them more likely to bond than to fight since they will both be sharing the experience.

I will probably get either two or four of them. If I were to get three of them I'm not sure how intros would go and if they go badly I would have to take one back the long drive or get another guinea pig. There are more possible guinea pig pair combinations with 4 anyway. I think as I type this that I have talked myself into getting all four. I would like all four. I think that I must put the decision of 2 vs 4 to my family though. Adding two guinea pigs is a big change so four will definitely be. We may just decide when we are at the shelter. I will prepare for four.

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would hope that since they have 4 guinea pigs and other exotics that they would have or know of a good exotic vet in the state.

Not necessarily true. Most shelters run on a shoestring, and they may use a vet who donates services or provides them at a reduced rate. I wouldn't count on them knowing anything about exotic pets. You might find a guinea rescue who knows of a good vet. Or, if you'll post the name of the city/state you're in or close to, we might be able to help you find a vet.

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. Do them when you've got hours to devote to it if necessary, and under no circumstances should you rush the process.

Don't get three males. We never recommend that anyone try that. A few very experienced guinea pig owners have made it work, but three usually results in favor. Two, or four or more, seem to do much better.

Here's some recommended reading material:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters those are some great websites. I have a few vet places in mind that would take guinea pigs but when the time comes I must take them somewhere I will call and inquire about their guinea pig experience. They seem to get different vets all the time since not many people take their small or exotic animals to the vet several go out of business all the time. I will certainly make sure to find a good vet and getting second opinions are also something I would like to do.

I will not be keeping any of them in a group of three. I'm thinking two pairs would give me several options about which pig likes which pig. I think that I read somewhere that you can put vanilla extract on their bums before introductions also? If that is safe I might try it as well as a bath. Before I had researched guinea pig shampoos I had bought some kaytee clean and cozy shampoo but have never used it. Is this safe? I have seen some controversy about this shampoo. If not, what shampoo would you recommend. I am looking into getting some shampoo from gorgeous guineas. Do they ship to the US?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use Squeaky Clean critter shampoo. And yes, Gorgeous Guineas ships to the US.

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
Oops, I meant Squeaky Clean. I think that clean and cozy is bedding? Good to know that I can use it.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Good luck tomorrow and I have to say "big baby" is so precious

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.