Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New Guinea Pig // Bonding? // Cage help?

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay so I picked up my new baby boy today. His name is Makai, meaning handsome in Hawaiian. He is 4 weeks old today. I also have a 4 year old boar. He was submissive to his cage mate who just passed. Is it okay for me to bond them immediately? Or soon? Also, is it okay for him to live on the same fleece pads and hideys that my past boar lived on? He passed about 2 weeks ago. The fleece has been washed completely and cared for well... I'm just making sure he can live on it until I get some new liners...

thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where did you get him from? If he came from a rescue or a private home where he was well cared for, you can go ahead and do introductions. If you got him from a shelter or a pet store, he needs to be quarantined for three weeks, preferably in a separate room.

Be sure to turn them both over and compare their private parts before you put them together. We've had an awful lot of pregnant males on this forum.

Yes, he can live on the fleece.

Here's how you go about introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
He did come from a very humane, in-home breeder, which is the best option for me because I for sure I wanted a texel and the nearest rescue from me is an hour and a half away. Thank you for your reply

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
A couple more questions, @bpatters, for introductions I plan to use grids but he is a very tiny, 4 week old baby. They are the 9 swuare across grids. As long as I'm sitting there watching, is it okay if I use them? If not, I can put up towels to cover the holes. Also, while he is still tiny, can I use corollary that is 10" high on all sides and then cut it down to 6" when he is ready? Would that do the trick to "babyproof" the cage?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
10 inch high coroplast will work as baby proofing for their permanent cage.

During introductions I would definitely add something to the grids - cardboard can work well as a temporary solution. He will be able to slip the grid holes so you will need something.

Personally I would introduce them, if you are confident that he came from a healthy place. It's stressful for babies to be on their own. Skipping quarantine just means being prepared to pay double the vet fees if something comes up (mites, URI, ect.).

We would love to see pictures of the little guy! I myself got a baby texel this summer (she's 7 months old now) and she is the most goofy, silly, mop-like creature. Be prepared for many hair cuts in your future!

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Here he is :)

Attachments

IMG_0549.jpg IMG_0550.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
He is super cute, I love his colours. Hopefully introductions go smoothly for you guys!

I love texels, they are like little walking mops. Just another until his curls grow in, he will be even more adorable!

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
I know I think to myself "I can't wait for those curls!" and then I think "I'm so gonna miss this tiny baby stage." Im torn! I did introductions today. There was some rumbling and chasing/mounting, but they turned out liking each other. So thankful on this Christmas Day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.