Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Still waiting on first pig birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

critter_country

Cavy Gazer
My girl had still not delivered :( tons of fetal movement, she is very uncomfy for a week or more.
Stopped staring at her in hopes of babies and still nothing. Sigh.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I hope she has a healthy and uneventful delivery. I also hope there is a vet you can contact in case of emergency.

critter_country

Cavy Gazer
This is her tonight. Pelvic bones are about a finger's width apart.
I have seen strong movement for three weeks. She lies around some of the time and others, like now, she is racing around digging through her straw and drinking like mad. She drags herself. I thought she was going to have them a week ago!
any idea on how many might be in there?
I do have a local vet that deals with guinea pigs, and lots of help ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

lissie

Cavy Slave
@critter_country I've removed your picture. Pictures of guinea pigs that are purposely bred are not allowed on this site.
Please don't hold your pregnant pig on her back. That must be very uncomfortable for her.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Now, I thought of this earlier when I was pondering the current events of the forum. Is it not ironic and hypocrtical that I myself post on such threads and wish the owners the best of luck, and compliment the babies on being adorable? Perhaps. But I do so because it brings me joy to not have to see another Deceased thread or to hear and feel the pain of losing a loved one, even a pet. It makes me happy to see the mother and her babies safe and healthy and to hear they're eating well and that a boy was born to join the currently alone father, and there is a girl to stay with the mother so she is not alone. I speak politely and offer support because I know that their owner is torn apart with worry for the well-being of their pigs, and should something happen they would be devestated. But no matter how cute the babies or the prospect of money that comes from breeding them, they know and I know and many people here know that it is down-right inexcusable to breed them for such selfish reasons. What they worry of is not the beauty of the babies or of arguing breeders vs. adoption, in the end they and myself just want their pigs safe and healthy. And that's what matters.

Unfortunately, there was this one very recently where one of the pups had to be put down:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/108801-Newborn-not-able-to-sit-up-or-walk

It's very sad and I wish people wouldn't deliberately breed pigs if they know better. I hope that @critter_country will not repeat this again but I get the feeling they just don't care enough whether the pigs die or not. Unfortunately you can't magically grant people empathy and the ones to suffer most from that lack of empathy are vulnerable innocent creatures that count on us to care for them, whose lives are in our hands. People can and SHOULD do better than this...

As the saying goes: "The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest" and this counts on an individual level also.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
As others have said, this is an anti-breeding/pro-rescue forum. As such, information about breeding and discussion about breeding is not allowed. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.