Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth Something stuck in Guinea Pigs mouth

thecuteness

Cavy Slave
I had my two guinea pigs out for floor time, in a safe place for them to run around, but one of my little girls just started doing this weird licking thing in her mouth, like a dog would do when you give them peanut butter. I give them salads during floor time generally, so I don't know if its food in her teeth or something more serious.

This just happened a couple of minutes ago, immediate replies would be very helpful. I tried to see if I could "flush it out" by giving her her favorite treats, and she reaches for them but doesn't open her mouth to eat them.
I tried to check what she had in her mouth but with it so small and my fingers so big I can't see or help out. I know it's not an overgrown tooth problem, she just got back from the vet for an all over wellness check a couple days ago who had said her and her sister were as healthy as can be.

I know if its am emergency don't post on this site first, but since it just started, I'm not sure if it'll go away or anyone else had similar problem they were able to resolve it on their own. I'm more than willing to take her to an emergency vet if need be, but it can be resolved at home I would appreciate the advice.

thecuteness

Cavy Slave
I had my two guinea pigs out for floor time, in a safe place for them to run around, but one of my little girls just started doing this weird licking thing in her mouth, like a dog would do when you give them peanut butter. I give them salads during floor time generally, so I don't know if its food in her teeth or something more serious.

This just happened a couple of minutes ago, immediate replies would be very helpful. I tried to see if I could "flush it out" by giving her her favorite treats, and she reaches for them but doesn't open her mouth to eat them.
I tried to check what she had in her mouth but with it so small and my fingers so big I can't see or help out. I know it's not an overgrown tooth problem, she just got back from the vet for an all over wellness check a couple days ago who had said her and her sister were as healthy as can be.

I know if its am emergency don't post on this site first, but since it just started, I'm not sure if it'll go away or anyone else had similar problem they were able to resolve it on their own. I'm more than willing to take her to an emergency vet if need be, but it can be resolved at home I would appreciate the advice.

Hi admin!! I apologize I went into panic mode. Never figured out the cause but shes eating again, so I think we are ay-okay. Delete this post if you would :)

thecuteness

Cavy Slave
@thecuteness, I'm glad your pig is back to normal. I just wanted to say that occasionally a pig will get a piece of food or hay stuck in their mouth and you might see them coughing or pawing at their mouth. I will say that most of the time they will get it out with no problem. When I was new at owning pigs, one of mine starting gagging and I was in a full panic I was sure she was choking on something. I immediately picked her up and she gave one loud cough and then was completely fine. Since then, I have on occasion seen my pigs do that especially if they try to eat too quickly.

Don't feel bad about getting scared, I'm sure we've all done that at one time or another. I'm glad your piggie is fine.

Thank you so much. makes me feel so much better. I was hoping it was food or something stuck in her mouth. She didn’t eat for the rest of the night though, so unless she doesn’t eat again when I feed her today, I’ll be taking her to a vet to see what they can do. I’m glad i am not the only one that’s experienced something like this.

thecuteness

Cavy Slave
@thecuteness, how is your pig doing? Hopefully, she started to eat normally again.

Thank you for checking in again. It means a lot. She’s back to eating every lettuce and bell pepper slice in sight :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.