Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig is behaving very differently

charlie12

Cavy Gazer
Hi, my niece's guinea pig has been acting differently than normal. He's been running around A LOT..A LOT and making a ton of noise, to the point where he's waking my niece up throughout the night, because the cage is in her room. We have had him for about 8 months now and this is the wildest he has gotten, like he would often run/jump around but now he's doing it so much and so quick we are worried about him getting hurt because he's being so chaotic. When he isn't running around, he just sits on top of his house (wooden with flat top) and just looks at the wall now instead of towards the front of the cage.

He is also CLIMBING the cage and we are like....why..what is wrong and we give him play time daily. Especially right now since Charlie currently has ringworm and we have been giving him medicine for it for the past 2 weeks. He wasn't acting like this...a few days ago but now he is and its such a sudden change that its concerning us.

Plus it doesnt seem like he's eating/drinking as much as usual? Before he would just want food all the time and he's not rushing to eat his treats. But at the same time we got him a better bowl that he can't knock over, and maybe thats why theres more food??

I can't tell if this is because he's feeling better from the ringworm potentially and thats why he is more hyper..seeming? Like before he was sick and now since he's not as sick thats why he's being chaotic good? I don't want to just take him to the vet when I have to take him in around 5 days to get another test to see if the ringworm is gone now...so I am just in a panic right now.

So is there reason to be concern?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is his weight steady, or is he losing?

Has he been treated for mites?

charlie12

Cavy Gazer
Is his weight steady, or is he losing?

Has he been treated for mites?

Yeah his weight is fine and they checked him for mites and everything. It was just the ringworm he has. I ended up taking him to the vet today because he's running around so much he scratched himself on his wooden house. I told the vet about him not eating as normal and stuff, so hopefully he's okay. She said it could be from the medicine he's taking. Also removing the wooden house it's his favorite house but he's being so hyper I'm gonna just add the plastic one back in instead.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
This really sounds like mites or some other pain or itching irritation. Does he have a large enough cage for exercise, at least 8 square feet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.