Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage question

SkippyQ

Cavy Slave
I currently have a 24x14x15 cage,not a c&c. It's jut a standard cage until I can build a bigger one.
right now I'm using Timothy hay for bedding,he has a pigloo in there also.
should I be using something else for bedding? I've seen people using fleece,but she likes to nest in the hay.
id would like her to have a nice cage set up and want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong
tips or advice is welcome. :)
I plan on making her some toys and tunnels to play in during floor time.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girl loves burrowing in hay too so I can a set up in a corner of hay for her to play in and a hay rack for her to get additional hay. It starts in a corner but after awhile they hay gets moved, like she likes to scavenger hunt for it or something. It's entertaining to her.

I use disposable bedding right now but will switch to fleece flippers when they come. I still plan on keeping a hay stack for her since she loves this "toy" so much.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
Hay isn't recommended to use as bedding. When the pig pees on it, it will get wet and it will start to stink.

With your cage setup right now, I would use shavings, such as aspen shavings. Avoid using cedar shavings, they are toxic. Make sure your guinea pig still has access to hay to eat 24/7.

When you make your bigger cage, I would suggest making a C&C cage with a kitchen area. The kitchen can be filled with shavings so your guinea pig can still play around in the shavings, but you can use fleece on the remaining part. Below is my cage setup to show you what I mean. The green coroplast insert is the Cavy Kitchen. (purchased of the GPCs store)

DSCN2231.jpg

socky

Cavy Slave
Hay isn't recommended to use as bedding. When the pig pees on it, it will get wet and it will start to stink.

With your cage setup right now, I would use shavings, such as aspen shavings. Avoid using cedar shavings, they are toxic. Make sure your guinea pig still has access to hay to eat 24/7.

When you make your bigger cage, I would suggest making a C&C cage with a kitchen area. The kitchen can be filled with shavings so your guinea pig can still play around in the shavings, but you can use fleece on the remaining part. Below is my cage setup to show you what I mean. The green coroplast insert is the Cavy Kitchen. (purchased of the GPCs store)

View attachment 47824
Just so you know, I like your cage a lot. :)

Artista

Cavy Slave

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Hay isn't a good choice in bedding as it isn't absorbent and gets damp quickly. Especially in the cage they are in now.

I definitely suggest C&C cages, they are cheap and can be adjusted to any size or shape, not to mention they look really cool.

IMG_20130419_191401.jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
How many inches long is this cage? In the pic it looks small?

This cage would probably be around 28x52 inches. Each grid is about 14 inches square.

Artista

Cavy Slave

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
How many inches long is this cage? In the pic it looks small?

Its about 56 inches by 30 inches. It probably just looks small in the picture because this is when I just finished making it, and my piggies weren't in the cage yet. To give you a size comparison, my piggies are about 1/2 the size of that green tunnel.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
fleece is lots of fun but requires daily poop picking and prepping :) overall i think it's worth it though. the litterbox is a good idea, because before i had it the piggies would make a little hay nest on the fleece, which wasn't very easy to get off for cleaning. :)

peed-on hay doesn't smell very good! most or all piggies love nesting in hay, so i put the hay rack over the bigger litter box in my cage, and remove the old hay at the end of the day.
1366147305888.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.