Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat My Guinea Pig eat only vegetables and fruits! :(

sebboy

Cavy Slave
Hi, I got my guinea pig from a pet shop on friday night. Since the first day we have been feeding him a suitable amount of fresh vegetables and fruits. But she has become too picky and stopped eating her hay and pellet food. Besides, whenever I move around her she squeaks and (i suppose) asks for food. I don't know what I should do. What can I do to make her eat her hay and pellet food?

:sorry::( :weepy::sad:

This is one of the many reasons you should never buy from a pet store or shop. While the fact that they came from one may not be the reason it isn't eating, it is a possibility.

Try to find a Lettuce that he likes. Pigs go crazy for Leaf lettuces like Green Leaf or Red Leaf. Then dice up very finely (pencil eraser size) Veggies and roll them up in the lettuce. Then feed them to him and he can get the taste of a lot of different Veggies this way.

She isn't eating hay or pellets either? That is unheard of to me.

I think your Guinea Pig needs to see a vet and soon if he doesn't start eating normally.

How much fruit and veggies are you feeding? You maybe over feeding her fruit and vegies and she doesn't want to eat her hay or pellets. It should be 1 cup of veggies per pig per day, unlimited hay and a 1/4 cup of pellets. Fruit should be given occisionally as a treat.

I'm guessing in my following statement as im not a piggy expert yet but I think that she is eating the veg as its a treat (I doubt she got much fresh veg in the pet shop)

Focus on the hay as it should be 80% of her diet and keeps her digestive system going so don't worry about the pellets for right now. Try maybe a different type of hay and give her LOADS so she can burry herself in it. Try leave her alone as much as possible, she's only been with you a few days and if you look a her every few minutes to check if she's eating she won't eat. I'd give her a massive amount of hay and leave her alone as much as possible for a few hours so she can settle in.

If she isn't eating hay after trying the above for 1-2 days you may want to take her to the vet to have her checked out but if she's eating veg she is probably not sick.

Lastly, try not to overload her with veg, if she isn't get much veg before in her previous home it may upset her tummy a bit. Keep an eye on her poops to ensure they continue to be nice and solid. If so, she probably is eating the hy when you are not looking :)

Sorry, I'm not a cavy expert but I hope it helps a bit. I just got my cavies a few weeks ago and the experience told me I just had to leave them alone as much as possible (do have laptime etc but try not to snoop around the cage too much)

:)

I never saw her eat any hay or pellets. She only eats the vegetables I give her, other than that, no she never eats her hay or pellet food. Like I said, she only wants to eat the food she likes...

Hi and welcome to the forums. An adult pig should only get 1 cup of vegetables a day with fruits being an occasional treat (a couple times a week). To much sugar can cause many health problems for them. If your guinea pig is younger 1 cup may be to much. Here is a list of veggies you can feed and it is color coded to how often they should be fed https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730 .

What kind of hay and pellets are feeding? Most store brands of hay and pellets are junk. What we usually recommend are Oxbow pellets and hay (available online and in some pet stores), KMS only available on line (broken link removed) , there is another brand I think called Sweet Meadow (?) which I have never used .

Does your pig have access to unlimited hay? And how much pellets are you feeding? The recommended pellet amount is 1/4-1/8 cup per pig.

How old is your pig?

One more thing- she is so scared of me. Whenever I come anywhere close to her she runs away. I can't even touch her. I feel really really sad. :'(

Hi and welcome to the forums. An adult pig should only get 1 cup of vegetables a day with fruits being an occasional treat (a couple times a week). To much sugar can cause many health problems for them. If your guinea pig is younger 1 cup may be to much. Here is a list of veggies you can feed and it is color coded to how often they should be fed https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730 .

What kind of hay and pellets are feeding? Most store brands of hay and pellets are junk. What we usually recommend are Oxbow pellets and hay (available online and in some pet stores), KMS only available on line (broken link removed) , there is another brand I think called Sweet Meadow (?) which I have never used .

Does your pig have access to unlimited hay? And how much pellets are you feeding? The recommended pellet amount is 1/4-1/8 cup per pig.

How old is your pig?

Hi, thanks for the welcome. :) I live in Turkey, so I can't find the brands you listed. I bought a hay that is recommended by other guinea pig owners. And yes, she has access to unlimited hay.

One more thing- she is so scared of me. Whenever I come anywhere close to her she runs away. I can't even touch her. I feel really really sad. :'(

Calm down. You haven't even had her for a week. You can't just expect her to love you right away-- Guinea Pigs aren't like dogs.

Don't begin just jumping in and wanting to hold her and stuff. You need to build trust first. Let her know you will never hurt her, and that you are the one who brings her food. Eventually you will be able to hold her. But work for a good amount of time each day on hand feeding her and bonding and building your trust. :)

Well I know nothing of the food available in Turkey :). What kind of hay is it? How old is your pig? And how much fruit and veg do you feed per day?

Well I know nothing of the food available in Turkey :). What kind of hay is it? How old is your pig? And how much fruit and veg do you feed per day?

She probably is 2-3 months old. Today I gave her 1/4 of green pepper, 4-5 leaves of persley, and 2 slices of cucumber (very little slices) and a little bit of cucumber covering. I didn't give her any fruits today. Yesterday she ate just a little bit of apple. Apple is the only fruit she has eaten so far. I fed apple only once.

She probably is 2-3 months old. Today I gave her 1/4 of green pepper, 4-5 leaves of persley, and 2 slices of cucumber (very little slices) and a little bit of cucumber covering. I didn't give her any fruits today. Yesterday she ate just a little bit of apple. Apple is the only fruit she has eaten so far. I fed apple only once.
Try cutting up the veg and fruit into really small pieces and mixing it will the pellets. Hopefully she will eat the pellets along with the fruit and veg. Also hide her veg and fruit under hay piles, to encourage her to nibble the hay. If that doesn't work take her to the vet.

Hopefully an admin will come along with some sage words of advice.

Try cutting up the veg and fruit into really small pieces and mixing it will the pellets. Hopefully she will eat the pellets along with the fruit and veg. Also hide her veg and fruit under hay piles, to encourage her to nibble the hay. If that doesn't work take her to the vet.

Hopefully an admin will come along with some sage words of advice.

Thank you very much for the help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.