Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Lazy, Antisocial Guinea Pigs

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
So I have two guinea pigs, both females just over one year old. I'm a little concerned about their activity level. After doing a fair amount of research, I've come to the conclusion that guinea pigs are generally very social, active little critters. Not mine. They sit in separate cages (due to fighting and intimidating each other away from their food) and used to run around every morning, but they've long since stopped. I try to put them in the same cage, but they end up sitting in opposite corners, not changing their behavior in any way. I set them on the floor, and they hide in a corner. I take them outside and they refuse to leave my lap. Is there any way I can promote activity, or at least more playfulness between the two? I'm worried that their laziness may affect their health.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How large are their cages? Cage size might be why they don't get along and why they aren't active.

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
Their cages are a little on the smaller side, but that's a factor I do not currently have control over. The "main" cage is actually sold as a rabbit cage, so it isn't TOO small, just not the recommended size. They don't really play when I take the two of them out together though. I've been told they tend to fight if they aren't from the same litter, which they aren't. I'd love for them to get along, because I've also heard that they get most of their exercise from playing and chasing each other. Is there anything I can do with their current cage size? Are there any toys they like to use? Some sources say that a hamster ball is safe if it is large enough, but I'm still wary of that option.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Their cages are a little on the smaller side, but that's a factor I do not currently have control over. The "main" cage is actually sold as a rabbit cage, so it isn't TOO small, just not the recommended size. They don't really play when I take the two of them out together though. I've been told they tend to fight if they aren't from the same litter, which they aren't. I'd love for them to get along, because I've also heard that they get most of their exercise from playing and chasing each other. Is there anything I can do with their current cage size? Are there any toys they like to use? Some sources say that a hamster ball is safe if it is large enough, but I'm still wary of that option.

Hamster exercise balls are most definitely NOT safe. Guinea pigs backs should not bend like a hamster's. What are the dimensions of the rabbit cage? It's probably stressing out your guinea pigs by plopping them together in the same cage/floor space randomly - you need to introduce them on neutral territory with veggies and hay, and then put them in the same cage after a few hours. Normal dominance behavior includes rumble-strutting, humping, teeth-chattering, etc. Don't separate them unless they draw blood.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are thousands and thousands of guinea pigs who are not litter mates who are living happily together. Whoever told you that they couldn't doesn't know anything about guinea pigs.

See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for the best way to introduce them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Look on craigslist for inexpensive cube grids. You can use a shower curtain underneath as a waterproof base.... cheap, inexpensive cage that will meet size standards.

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for replying! I'll try to allow them more time together and follow the article linked.

Look on craigslist for inexpensive cube grids. You can use a shower curtain underneath as a waterproof base.... cheap, inexpensive cage that will meet size standards.

That's a very good idea! I will look around, thank you so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.