Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Coconut oil - is this brand ok?

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Long story short...one of my guinea pigs had dry flaky skin that we have been treating for fungus using micazole lotion 1%. The fungal culture came back negative, but the vet had us treat her anyway, just in case. It cleared up the spot on her ear, and then the spot on her foot. However, I'm now doubting that it was actually fungal. The other two piggies have never shown any sign of it. I'm wondering if she just has dry skin. In any event, I'd like to get some coconut oil to use on her ears and feet. The micazole lotion had an oily feel to it, which I think got rid of the dryness. So, maybe coconut oil is actually what she needs? Is this brand ok? Amazon.com: Nature&(broken link removed)s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 16 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Any coconut oil really should do. For my piggy with dry skin I massage some oil onto her feet or ears and let it sit for a minute or so and wipe off extra with either a dry towel or wet one. This also has helped with my piggies burrs on their feet. I don't know if everyone knows this but I like to mention that below I think 75 degrees the oil is a solid and anything above it turns into a liquid. It's also fabulous for your own hair and you can feed some to your dogs/cats (my dog will eat chunks of it straight).

Guinealover10
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Guinealover10
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
What? no. I was just saying that your pigs are pampered, it was a joke..

LOL!!! Oh my...I thought you meant that was the name of a website or brand for coconut oil for guinea pigs. There is a actually a website called Gorgeous Guineas. Hehe!! I don't know if they sell coconut oil....I should check. And yes, our piggies are very pampered!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.