Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Want to adopt more, but parents say NO.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all, I really want to adopt these two boys. I have another midwest cage I can connect to theirs to make it a nice big space, but my parents say NO! Is there any tips on how I can persuade them? Heres their link: (broken link removed) Thanks in advance!

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
If their reason for not adopting another piggy is money then i would say just leave it unless you pay for them. Piggies are expensive, i only brought home my third pig bc hes going to live with my other pig i already had.
If their reason is smell them tell them youll clean more or find new methods to make them less stinky.
If its some other reason i cant think of right now just say it. Im sure there are lots of reasons other people wouldnt want another pig but those would be my main reasons for not wanting me/my kid to get another piggy/piggies

pigger123

Cavy Slave
If your parents don't want you to have more pigs, I wouldn't try to get more pigs. Since you're living with your parents I assume that you depend on them at least somewhat to help pay for your piggies (if you are in fact completely financially responsible for them, you can ignore this!), and they probably wouldn't be thrilled to have to spend money on pigs they never wanted you to have in the first place.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
@pigger123, I am completely financially responsible for them, but sometimes my mom offers to pay for little stuff just for fun ig. But I do buy everything for them myself. [MENTION=33002]Krystaleb97[/MENTION], thank you! I do pay for them myself so that wouldn't be the problem. These two pigs won't live with my other two, they'll live in the same room (after quarantine).

pinky

Cavy Slave
Your parents have the last word. I don't know how old you are but at some point you might go away to college and won't be able to take them with you. Pets should be family pets, not kids'. If someone is unable to care or provide for them, another family member can step in. Doesn't sound like that's the case in your situation. The guinea pigs will be the ones to suffer if you can't care for them so I wouldn't get any more until you're an adult or you have the support of your family. Two of my guinea pigs came from kids who didn't have time for them due to after school activities. One was a 16 year old boy and the other was a 12 year old girl. In both cases, the guinea pigs were the kids' pets, not a family pet, and the parents were anxious to rehome them when the kids didn't have time. The 16 year old boy was really upset about rehoming them but said school was priority and he couldn't manage both things on his own.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Have you asked them why they are saying no? I understand wanting to help two piggies in need (as I am a frequent CL scanner for piggies needing a better home), but perhaps they are worried that the addition of 2 guinea pigs would be to much upkeep/making the place feel like a "zoo?"

I would look online to see if there is a guinea pig rescue near you, then find their facebook page, and post that CL ad on their page. Hopefully, someone at the rescue or who sees the ad will be in a better position to adopt them :)

Definitely have a calm sit down with your parents though and ask them why. Even if they don't change their minds, at least you will understand why; rather than feeling like they are being unfair or unreasonable :)

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Your parents have the last word. I don't know how old you are but at some point you might go away to college and won't be able to take them with you. Pets should be family pets, not kids'. If someone is unable to care or provide for them, another family member can step in. Doesn't sound like that's the case in your situation. The guinea pigs will be the ones to suffer if you can't care for them so I wouldn't get any more until you're an adult or you have the support of your family. Two of my guinea pigs came from kids who didn't have time for them due to after school activities. One was a 16 year old boy and the other was a 12 year old girl. In both cases, the guinea pigs were the kids' pets, not a family pet, and the parents were anxious to rehome them when the kids didn't have time. The 16 year old boy was really upset about rehoming them but said school was priority and he couldn't manage both things on his own.
I completely understand that. My parents and all my friends sometimes get annoyed, but I put my boys before everything. Sometimes it annoys my friends because they wanna come over and I'm like "well we have to clean the pigs" and they're like: "ugh" Haha my boys are my everything <3

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Have you asked them why they are saying no? I understand wanting to help two piggies in need (as I am a frequent CL scanner for piggies needing a better home), but perhaps they are worried that the addition of 2 guinea pigs would be to much upkeep/making the place feel like a "zoo?"

I would look online to see if there is a guinea pig rescue near you, then find their facebook page, and post that CL ad on their page. Hopefully, someone at the rescue or who sees the ad will be in a better position to adopt them :)

Thank you! They've always told me they're happy how well I take care of the boys. I buy everything for them myself, but I've spent so much money on fleece stuff for them, I don't think they want to deal with me buying double the stuff.
Definitely have a calm sit down with your parents though and ask them why. Even if they don't change their minds, at least you will understand why; rather than feeling like they are being unfair or unreasonable :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you're financially responsible, the choice of whether or not to get more should be yours alone, but if you're living with your parents, they do deserve a say in the matter. For example, I live with family, but my pigs live in my room, and I'm financially responsible for them. If yours live in a shared area like a living room, then I understand your parents wanting to give their input.

However, I think when you take on a pet, you should be able to look X years in to the future, and know that you can commit to them for that amount of time. Lets say you get a three year old pig, you need to look about five years in to the future and decide if you'll still be able to be fully responsible for them. If you have doubts, (like for example when [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] mentioned college) then you shouldn't commit to them without having a concrete plan in place, like choosing a college that allows pets in your rooms etc.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I completely understand that. My parents and all my friends sometimes get annoyed, but I put my boys before everything. Sometimes it annoys my friends because they wanna come over and I'm like "well we have to clean the pigs" and they're like: "ugh" Haha my boys are my everything <3

I can tell that you're a very responsible pet owner but you have to look to the future, too. You'd be surprised how many pets are rehomed due to kids going away to college or other things that become more of a priority. There was a thread last week by someone on here who was accepted at their first choice of colleges that doesn't allow pets. That's why it's so important that you don't commit to something that might not work out somewhere down the line. The animals are the ones that suffer because they're usually older and no one wants them. It's also really hard on them being rehomed once they're used to an environment.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I understand now. I can't even think about college without crying that I have to leave them :( My parents will take care of them

TheDNDWizard

Cavy Slave
I can tell that you're a very responsible pet owner but you have to look to the future, too. You'd be surprised how many pets are rehomed due to kids going away to college or other things that become more of a priority. There was a thread last week by someone on here who was accepted at their first choice of colleges that doesn't allow pets. That's why it's so important that you don't commit to something that might not work out somewhere down the line. The animals are the ones that suffer because they're usually older and no one wants them. It's also really hard on them being rehomed once they're used to an environment.

Yup that was me honey! :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I understand now. I can't even think about college without crying that I have to leave them :( My parents will take care of them

Why do you have to leave them? I didn't get my undergrad with piggies, but I went through two graduate programs with them. I had to make choices, and turn down educational opportunities, because of the commitment I made when I brought them into my life. I didn't think about it at the time, but that's part of being a pet owner, standing by the decisions you've made and seeing them through.

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
You don't have to leave your pigs for college. Is there a community college near you? Go there and get your associates in general education. Community colleges are great because you can live at home. Then once you're done with that must transfer to whatever university you want, but rent an apartment that is pet friendly. That's what I'm doing! Also, I just say to go to community college first because most universities won't let you live off campus as a freshman.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It is very possible to manage guinea pigs and college/university. You just need to put the effort into finding pet friendly housing off campus instead of living in residence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.