Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting I want to adopt, but I had a bad experience with the rescue near me

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I got my current guinea pig from a local feed store that kept them in a huge cage and gave them veggies and cleaned out their cages everyday (this i witnessed with my own eyes. but when I was first looking into getting a pig I decided to adopt. I'm contemplating on weather putting the name of the rescue or not... But anyway i live in Los Angeles, California.. and the closest rescue to me was like 10 miles away. So I scheduled an appointment for the upcoming weekend and my mom who wasn't all to happy about getting a ''Rodent" was actually getting pretty excited to. The owner of the rescue and I talked back and forth for quite a while about what I should bring and how excited I was and so on and so forth. When the weekend finally came I was so excited that we decided to bring my GRANDMA along with us who hates small animals but was so happy fr me because I was happy about the pig. So we drove down there and pulled in and talked to the lady, she explained that I HAD to buy two guinea pigs (which I understand) that I HAD to have a c&c cage, nothing else, and continued to give me a VERY strict lecture on all that I HAD to do. Now at the time I was told that it was only PREFERRED to have two Piggie, she never told me that I needed two via email. She told me a mid-western, i think that what they are called, would be fine for a single Piggie and if i wanted to expand It i would need t look farther into a c&c cage. when I gt there EVERYTHING she said changed and then my mom brought up that she thought my brother was allergic to hay (Dustin hay mom. not timothy) so with tears in my eyes I looked at my mom and she looked at the rescue owner. The rescue owner looked me strait int the eyes and said "Well I guess you just cant have a guinea pig, now can you?" with her right eyebrow raised. Before I could say anything to this brat she turned around and walked away. I went to the car , I am a teenager by the way, and I honestly don't cry, like ever. And I just started bawling. It wasn't necessarily because I couldn't get a Piggie or two. I was because this whole situation could have been avoided if she had just been upfront with me. This put a bad taste in my mouth and I ended up getting the biggest pet store cage I could find which was the equivalent to a 1 and a half by three and picked my pig up from my local feed and tack store that really cared about these pigs. The even NICELY explained that he wold do best with another pig and explained to me how to make a c&c cage. He pointed out all of the BEST brands to use for food, hay and toys. He told me that yogurt drops and colored treats were not good because they contained much sugar. He gave me the WHOLE run down of everything and told me to bring Asher back in in a few months so he could see how big he got. I have never been so happy. When Asher turned 10 months I started gathering supplies to make a c&c cage. I finished it last night and it is a 3x4 and he loves it. Now I want to get hi a cage mate. I know adopting is the right thing to do but I had such a BAD experience I just don't want to go back! My mom vowed that we would NEVER go back there because she never wants to see me that upset again. And no there aren't any ore even semi-close rescues around me.... any help?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Look on craigslist and Petfinder. Just make sure you bring your mom along wherever you decide to get another one from. You can't just put a second guinea pig in with the other. You have to do introductions in a neutral area to make sure they'll get along.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
thank you pinky :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
There are likely more rescues somewhere close to you. They may not be guinea pig specific, but a lot of shelters do have guinea pigs too.

I guess, I wasn't there... and it's hard to judge when you don't hear tone and exact words... but based on the way you relay the story, my guess is the woman was worried you were not going to care for the pig in the way she wanted. Rescues have the right to refuse adopters, and I work at a rescue (dog) that does refuse some adopters. There are people who are unhappy with that, and some who even write nasty things about them, but there are reasons why they are so strict and can sometimes come off as rude. Does her website/FB page have the information on it that she told you? When you say you were told these were the preferred ways, was it her who told you? Did you ask her in the emails about her requirements?

Likely, with the hay comment she was concerned that you would stop giving hay, or return the pig, if your brother had an allergic reaction to it. I'm not sure what Dustin hay is? If you are meaning dust in the hay, then timothy does have dust in it. And, I can understand the woman's concern because we see people all the time post their pigs for rehome because of allergies.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
If you know you meet the requirements, I would say to go back to the rescue. Rescues are strict for a reason. If you have never had guinea pigs, there's really a lot you don't know (most likely). The person did not get along with your personality, which your post reveals to be somewhat... use line breaks next time.

Anyway, just remember it's nothing personal. The person got a more clear picture when you visited with your mother. Do you need your mom to drive you? If so, then you just have to try other places to adopt.

chloej

Cavy Slave
It sounds like a lot of the problem you had was a human problem and not an issue on your part. You seem to understand what you need to do to be a good pig owner, and seem willing to learn. Based on the information you gave, it sounds like there was some miscommunication going on via email. As ClemmieOddielady pointed out, there are most likely general animal shelters near you. Do some research on their websites. When I was looking into getting another pig I first checked these shelters and found that some had guinea pigs. Also, Petfinder is a great place to look, it's how we found out about the local guinea pig rescue where we adopted our third guinea pig. And don't forget to keep an eye out in your own neighborhood too. We got our first guinea pig from the neighbors down the street who couldn't keep him anymore.

If you can find it in you to forgive, it may be that lady was having a bad day. It's possible you won't even have to meet with her if this is a rescue run by more than one person. :)

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I also live in LA and got my pigs through the Orange County Cavy Haven rescue. I doubt this is the rescue you met with since they do not have a single location--they are a network of fosters. There was definitely a lengthy and in-depth vetting process, which I appreciated because they took the time to help us find a good fit. In addition to OCCH, I know there are several other small animal rescues in the area, a number of shelters that have pigs, and I constantly see adds for adoptable piggs on Craigslist. So, there is absolutely no reason you should not be adopting.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@chloej
thanks for being s sweet :) I actually am going back to get my current piggie a cage mate from them. I feel like the welfare of my pig out-ways my hurt feelings. It did seem like she was pretty stressed out that day, she had many people in and out, and taking care of that many piggies can't be easy. Thanks for giving me a new perspective@
@ginipigsinspace
No it wasn't :) it was a more local rescue. I understand when the do in-depth questioning. And I prefer that. But it was a huge misunderstanding. I will be adopting. Dont get me wrong. I just had hard feelings towards this particular place.
@Bodhi
Hahahah sorry about the line breaks. I was venting and all my english classes went out the window.
I will be going back and I understand that this was a misunderstanding on both my part and hers.
@ClemmyOddieIndy
I Directly messaged her and These were her direct responses. I understand they have the right to refuse adopters but
*I* decided I didn't want to adopt from her.

To all of you: I have been able to put this behind me and I am adopting from her

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I have been able to put this behind me and I am adopting from her

So glad to hear! Sorry if my message came across as harsh. I find myself on Craigslist a lot, looking at all the piggies people are trying to get rid of and feel sad that I can't go get them all; then I read through thread after thread on here of people who claim they couldn't find pigs to adopt. Thus, I just wanted to make sure you knew how many adoption options there are in our area.

On a related note, check out this guy: (broken link removed) His name is Mr. Crackers! And he was found in a garbage can! And whoever writes the copy for the Torrance shelter needs to edit before they post! I'm pretty sure a third boy would just making the bickering a thousand times worse, but I'm super tempted!

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
When are you going over to the rescue? Just curious if we might bump into one another, ha!

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
ginipigsinspace, its taking forever to load :/
but no you didn't come off harsh :) I know Im surrounded by a lot of places but I cant really find anything on craigslist. Please PM me if you find any males and/or spayed females! Thank you again for replying! Much love! -Cheyenne

When are you going over to the rescue? Just curious if we might bump into one another, ha!
Hopefully within the next two weeks! Im not quite sure yet though, Im talking with Saskia right now and Figuring all of that out. When are you going? I'll see if I can schedule on the same day :)

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
I'll probably be there on Friday mornin next week? I have the day from work, as it's my birthday.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
YOUR LYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS MY BIRTHDAY ALSO omg @Red5Iam

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.