Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Tired of fleece and the problems it gives me

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
So when I was in new york I bought 2 yards of fleece from Joannes because it was $2.50 a yard. I washed it twice with no softener and plopped it in the cage. That was 2 days ago. I have 3 girls in a 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 foot cage. It smells. I sweep three times a day and change the little box every day. It smells like poop. This always happens and Im not sure what I do wrong, I have 2 layers of towels under neath. It just bugs me as fleece is easier and so much prettier than shavings. Please help.

Thanks

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
I've found that towels really don't work that well. They retain all of the waste that soaks to them and don't air dry well at all, and thus smell much faster. I'd recommend using u haul pads instead. Or, use another kind of disposable bedding underneath. I know @bpatters uses wood pellets below fleece.

Lindsayruthann

Cavy Slave
Towels are very smelly. I normally use uhaul blankets, 1 blanket folded in half to cover my 2x4 cage bottom. I used towels under the fleece in my 1x2 loft and it stunk after 2 days, they just stay wet and smell. I only clean my cage once a week, and it doesn't even smell at that point. The Uhaul blankets are inexpensive and easy to clean, and you can trim them to fit your cage like I did. I just lay down the layers, I don't have sewn bedding. Here are the blankets I use. (broken link removed)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I swear by wood pellets, I put care fresh on top and go 4-6 weeks without a full change, I stir every few days. Bpatters uses fleece over the pellets, it really does keep the odor down.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Uhaul pads work well under fleece. I have fleece flippers myself that I bought from this site. Check out the fleece store for info on the benefits. I'll never change. I love having it in sections where I can just move it around depending on where the soiled parts are or flip a panel... Sooooooo convenient and prolongs laundry time nicely!

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
I like fleece. I use towels under and don't seem to notice smell or such. Hope Im not just immuned!! lol
Is your fleece wicking ok?? My daughter and I have some fleece from Joann's and it wont wick no matter how many times we've washed it, soaked it, you name it! I haven't had problems with any other Joann fleece, but those two. Sprinkle some water on top and see if it soaks through or sits on top.
Good luck

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
I swear by wood pellets, I put care fresh on top and go 4-6 weeks without a full change, I stir every few days. Bpatters uses fleece over the pellets, it really does keep the odor down.

Any specific brand of pellets? What do you do with the pee spots? Do you spot clean daily?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't do anything with urine spots when you use pellets. The pellets just absorb the moisture, but there's no smell.

I put a layer of thin fleece over the top of mine because it makes it so easy to shake the poop and hay off.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Interesting bpatters. Can I ask what brand you use? Is there somewhere you have this explained? You just do a complete change every? Just shake poop and hay in between? Completely cover bottom? Hmmmm

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use TerrAmigo pellets. but any wood pellets that don't have a pine odor will work. I have fleece from everywhere, but what works best is the thin blankets that you can find for $3 or so at places like Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

I shake the fleece every day or so, depending on how much hay and poop is on it, change the fleece every 4-6 days, and change the pellets every 5-6 weeks.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Well, that explains. It isnt wicking..... I will wash it a few more times with no detergent at all just hot water. Then try it again.

The towels are soaking wet though as well.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Well, that explains. It isnt wicking..... I will wash it a few more times with no detergent at all just hot water. Then try it again.

The towels are soaking wet though as well.

You should be using laundry detergent when you wash it, just not any with fabric softener. :)

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
But if the towels are wet, it must be wicking. Out of all my fleece i do have one that no matter how much i wash i cant get to wick!

Thanks bpatters for the info. May use in kitchens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.