Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

saving a CL pig

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Those look like rabbits in the other cage and the setup reminds me of my father's most recent wife, who hoarded them :(

I thought they were rabbits too and their cages are disgusting! :-(

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I understood exactly what was making you snappy. I have a bad habit of looking at Craigslist myself and get so frustrated at not being able to take half the pigs I see since so many are in bad situations. I'm just so glad it turned out not to be a breeder so this will all have a happy ending. I'm a big promoter of CL as a source for piggies since it's where Miss Abby-tude Amy came from, and people don't even realize there are so many needy piggies there. I hate the breeders who sneak on CL and steal homes from the legitimate rehomers.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Can't wait for you to get that little one out of there and to your home. The guinea pigs who live with me found their way to my home via CL.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you can give him/her a great new home. How on earth does that poor thing even turn around without bumping its nose? I am SO happy to hear that you are giving it a second chance at life. Have any names picked out?

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you can give him/her a great new home. How on earth does that poor thing even turn around without bumping its nose? I am SO happy to hear that you are giving it a second chance at life. Have any names picked out?

Thank you! Still trying to come up with name options. :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Can't wait for you to get that little one out of there and to your home. The guinea pigs who live with me found their way to my home via CL.

Thank you! I'm pretty excited myself! :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I understood exactly what was making you snappy. I have a bad habit of looking at Craigslist myself and get so frustrated at not being able to take half the pigs I see since so many are in bad situations. I'm just so glad it turned out not to be a breeder so this will all have a happy ending. I'm a big promoter of CL as a source for piggies since it's where Miss Abby-tude Amy came from, and people don't even realize there are so many needy piggies there. I hate the breeders who sneak on CL and steal homes from the legitimate rehomers.

my hubby is going to end up blocking Craigslist on my computer before too long! Ha!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I asked the seller what veggies the pig likes and she said the pig has never had any veggies. :grumpy:

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I guess I should have seen that one coming though with the condition of her "cage".....

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I asked the seller what veggies the pig likes and she said the pig has never had any veggies. :grumpy:

The last piggy I adopted was like that. :( The good news is that it took less than a week to get her interested, and a couple weeks later she is absolutely chowing on a huge variety! She was on straw for bedding and I don't even want to know what kind of pellets she was eating!!

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I'm in DFW, too, and I absolutely must stay away from CL!! I would adopt them ALL if I had the $$ and space! As it is I have six!

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
When I rescued Penelope, she had never even had grass! I was so mad I could have had a meltdown in the rescue. She was kept in a cardboard box, was pregnant, and seemed to have had extremely limited human contact. Penelope now has proper nutrition, a proper cage, and all the love she can take.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
@Brandi0509 Good call on the "friend looking for a pig" thing. Super inconspicuous way to totally scan for breeders.
Let us know how everything goes and post pigtures when the piggy is all settled in :)
All three of my girls are from Kijiji and lordy some of the ads there, honestly if I had infinite space and money I would just take them all. I always look on their first - provided it's not a breeder - only because I know rescues know how to care for piggies and have their best interest at heart. Most owners want to quickly dump the pigs they don't have time for or kids got bored of already.
Why do people stink more than a guinea pig cage that's never been cleaned before >:[

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
The last piggy I adopted was like that. :( The good news is that it took less than a week to get her interested, and a couple weeks later she is absolutely chowing on a huge variety! She was on straw for bedding and I don't even want to know what kind of pellets she was eating!!

I didn't even ask what kind of pellets because I don't even want to know!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I'm in DFW, too, and I absolutely must stay away from CL!! I would adopt them ALL if I had the $$ and space! As it is I have six!

Oh goodness! With 6 you def have to stay away from CL. There are a few on there right now that are killing me but none as bad off as this one. There is a really cute Himalayan on there right now. And theres one that is 5 yrs old and he is on there because "the kids don't want him anymore". Come on now! He is an old man and you have had him that long.....just suck it up and let him finish out his life where he is comfortable! :grumpy: I really have got to stop looking....

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
When I rescued Penelope, she had never even had grass! I was so mad I could have had a meltdown in the rescue. She was kept in a cardboard box, was pregnant, and seemed to have had extremely limited human contact. Penelope now has proper nutrition, a proper cage, and all the love she can take.

Glad you were able to save that poor piggy! That's awful!

And we picked out a name! It's Phoebe. lol

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Awww how cute! I'm guessing she is a she! ;) Haha, any pics of her in her new home? Before and after pics would be awesome.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Well, we are getting her tonight and will be double checking that she is definitely a she.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Great name "Phoebe". Is she home yet?
One time I asked about the diet "of a guinea pig I was thinking about adopting from CL, and I always ask about hay because so many people do not feed them hay, and the person on the other side of CL said that his/her mom bought hay once and "the guinea pig ate all if it". "So we didn't buy it again." Sad, sad, sad.
I have to avoid CL too. That is how I came to have six living with me. One snuck in under the guise of being a lady. (always turn over and view their "other" parts). I would have brought him home anyway. He needed food. But really, so glad each came to my home when they did.
So looking forward to pictures of Phoebe. Lucky little furry one, finding her/his way to your home.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Can't wait to see the pigtures! It will be an adventure learning what veggies and fruits she likes (and loves). I don't think Quinn ever had any before we got her, but Amy was a veggie eating machine and that helped Quinn catch on quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.