Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbit destruction?

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
My husband and I have been considering getting a rabbit or two for years but we always come back to the same worry, how much will they destroy our apartment?

We would like to give two small (under 4 pound) buns a home in our living room, in an X-Pen habitat. The X-Pen will be a few inches away from a plug that has two cords plugged in.
We will obviously case the cords and rabbit proof as much as we can but I'm worried how far the buns will be able to reach through the cage. We will frame the cage in wood so they can't bend the cage out any farther.

We will obviously give them toys and chews and hideys to keep them entertained but I'm still worried what they will be capable of.

Does anyone have any insight on how to protect our home but still allow us a precious bunny?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
If you are a beginner I would just get one. Im not a expert on rabbits but I don't think they are as social as guinea pigs.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Im not that knowledageable on rabbits, and they've never really liked me and my cousins rabbit attacked me so now Im scared of them. @Inle_Rabbit has/had rabbits before and knows about them.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Many people have buns that are completely free-range 100% of the time, so it obviously can be done. You would have to bunny-proof well no matter what, since they need a lot of floor time every day. Probably the worst destruction they could do would be chewing up furniture, digging/chewing carpeting (especially the corners), destroying power cords, and gnawing on baseboards. Keep in mind that these are the worst, and well-trained rabbits might not cause any kind of destruction at all. All of these things can be at least limited, if not completely prevented, by thoroughly bunny-proofing and providing them with plenty of healthy and safe play/dig/chew options.

myhouserabbit.com and rabbit.org have great information on bunny-proofing, training, and all things bunny.

@Starthecavy123 rabbits can be kept singly, but they generally are happier with a bunny-friend. They actually might be considered even more social than guinea pigs, as most pairs form deep bonds in which they groom each other, play with each other, snuggle with each other, etc.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Many people have buns that are completely free-range 100% of the time, so it obviously can be done. You would have to bunny-proof well no matter what, since they need a lot of floor time every day. Probably the worst destruction they could do would be chewing up furniture, digging/chewing carpeting (especially the corners), destroying power cords, and gnawing on baseboards. All of these things can be at least limited, if not completely prevented, by thoroughly bunny-proofing and providing them with plenty of healthy and safe play/dig/chew options.
@Starthecavy123 rabbits can be kept singly, but they generally are happier with a bunny-friend. They actually might be considered even more social than guinea pigs, as most pairs form deep bonds in which they groom each other, play with each other, snuggle with each other, etc.

See you learn something new everyday. Like I said in my answer I've never had rabbits before.

pinky

Cavy Slave
All I can say is that if indoor rabbits can do what wild rabbits can do, I'd keep a close eye on them. We had to take down two trees and dig out three roses we couldn't save. I had protective plastic around the bases of my trees but the snow was so deep, the rabbits got up higher on trunks and branches and completely ate all the bark off around the trees. They preferred Prairiefire crabapple trees and left the other trees alone. The also ate the thorns and all the outer parts of the rose canes almost down to the ground. I think they must have been starving due to the deep snow this winter.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I have no problem adopting two, my main concern is if they can get through the cage bars at all to get to cords that would be covered but near by.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I believe more than training it is personality. I have had rabbits that were 100% trustable and others that were not. Despite my best rabbit proofing those hard headed rabbits still cause significant destruction.

From personal experience I would suggest staying away from rexes. They are bull headed, independent, and intelligent. A hard mixture for the new owner. Mini rexes were the breed of rabbit I had that constantly cause problems within the household. They are also my favorite breed.

Rabbits do much better in pairs so plan in two. If you have a rescue in your area go there because they will already be fixed and bonded saving you a lot of frustration and money.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
All rabbits are unique. Some, as Inle rabbit said, are more destructive than others. You will need to bunny proof more than just the 2 cords near the cage. They'll need an area in which to exercise regularly too. Ideally the room in which you keep the cage would be bunny proofed as well.
Binkybunny site has great bunny proofing tips.

I would also second Inle Rabbit's suggestion to get a bonded, neutered pair from a rabbit rescue. The rescue will be more likely to know the personalty of the individual rabbits and you can see their personalities as well. Either way, though, bunny proofing is always a matter of trial and error. What works for one bunny may not work for another. What some rabbits are interested in destroying holds no interest to others.

Oh, and if you're specifically concerned about that one plug and the rabbits reaching their noses through that x-pen, you could stand a panel of plexiglass between the x-pen and the cords.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit thanks love! I am working with a rescue that I've adopted 5 of my piggies from and the woman is so great and helpful.
I'm currently just in the research phase and I don't really have any direct rabbits in mind. I'm definitely adopting and I'm hoping for a pair but if not I'll at least get one bun and work with a shelter closer to me that I can try bonding with the original bun. (The shelter I'm currently working with is 4 hours away but I adore them so I always go back haha)
@Gandalf, I don't know why I didn't think about plexiglass, genius! Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.