Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scabbed sore/mites

jjn3beans

Cavy Slave
Our new pig has been diagnosed with mites. He has an open sore that's scabbed over, clipped hair all around his neck and around the "saddle" area. There are little crusty bumps everywhere. Anyway, he has had an ivermectin shot.

I asked the vet if I could give him a bath and what should I use. I wanted to use Nizoral, as I read here it would be okay, just to cover bases and to possibly sooth his skin. He scratches and squeals so horribly it hurts our hearts! She told me not to use it because she wasn't sure if it was okay. Should I do anything bath-wise? If so, what can I use that can be obtained easily, possibly my local pharmacy?

Also, how in the world did he get this? We've had him for a few months, and he was perfectly healthy before. Our other pig is in a separate cage and doesn't have anything. What happened?

Gorgeous Piggys

Cavy Slave
Our new pig has been diagnosed with mites. He has an open sore that's scabbed over, clipped hair all around his neck and around the "saddle" area. There are little crusty bumps everywhere. Anyway, he has had an ivermectin shot.

I asked the vet if I could give him a bath and what should I use. I wanted to use Nizoral, as I read here it would be okay, just to cover bases and to possibly sooth his skin. He scratches and squeals so horribly it hurts our hearts! She told me not to use it because she wasn't sure if it was okay. Should I do anything bath-wise? If so, what can I use that can be obtained easily, possibly my local pharmacy?

Also, how in the world did he get this? We've had him for a few months, and he was perfectly healthy before. Our other pig is in a separate cage and doesn't have anything. What happened?

Hi

I would use Nizoral for fungal skin problems.

Not long ago i treated my guinea pigs for mites and I used neem oil at a dilution rate of four parts carrier oil( i used extra virgin oilve oil) to one part Neem oil.

(broken link removed)

This link will tell you how to apply and how often.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Do not bathe a guinea pig that has a severe mite infestation, it will cause a lot of pain to your pig.

Mites can flare up when a guinea pig is put under stress, and the moving about during adoption can definitely set this off. Mites are invisible to the naked eye and mite infections are barely noticable to the untrained eye (extra scratching), so it is easy for them to get out of control. Ivermectin should clear this up.

If you want something to just soothe your pigs skin I would purchase something from (broken link removed) and bathe them after the mites clear up.

nousername

Cavy Slave
Do not bathe a guinea pig that has a severe mite infestation, it will cause a lot of pain to your pig.

Mites can flare up when a guinea pig is put under stress, and the moving about during adoption can definitely set this off. Mites are invisible to the naked eye and mite infections are barely noticable to the untrained eye (extra scratching), so it is easy for them to get out of control. Ivermectin should clear this up.

If you want something to just soothe your pigs skin I would purchase something from (broken link removed) and bathe them after the mites clear up.

Mites can flare up when they are under stress? Does it mean guinea pigs always have mites? Therefore, the medicine we use can only oppress mites and not cure it?

JadeRenee

Cavy Slave
Mites can flare up when they are under stress? Does it mean guinea pigs always have mites? Therefore, the medicine we use can only oppress mites and not cure it?

I'm interested to know this information too... I just treated both my guys for mites. After taking Stella the Fella to the vet, and voicing my concerns, she gave me an ivermectin solution to give orally to both of my boars. I have noticed a decrease in scratching/etc., but am wondering about another flare up and the possibility of that happening if the above is true. Hopefully someone with better knowledge can shed some light.

Thanks for the information!

nousername

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are new from a rescue. I'm thinking to purchase this

Amazon.com: Ivermectin Pour On, 250ML: Home Improvementust try to be safe. And this stuff is supposed to help us saving money.

Dosage is mentioned for guinea pig in one of the review.

"Our guinea pig had mites and was always scratching. It got bad enough where he would scratch til he bled. We looked up ways to treat mites and Ivermectin was suggested. Guinea pigs only need 0.5mg of Ivermectin per kg of their weight. So basically only 1 drop behind each ear was required. It's been about a week and he's already improved so much. No more scratching and the wounds are healing really nicely. It's recommended to give 3 doses total at 7-10 days apart for maximum effectiveness. At 2 drops per dose, this big bottle seems like it'll last forever. Much cheaper than visiting the vet."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.