Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Yesterday's News and Carefresh

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey all!

I am trying to help get a little more for my money with using carefresh so I decided I would try out yesterday’s news litter to mix with it. I got it yesterday and it looks so much like their food pellets I thought, oh I hope they don’t eat them! And of course first thing they each did was eat one. Well, hopefully they learned it wasn’t good after that, I didn’t notice them eating any more!
I’ll have to see how the week goes on if the addition of the litter aids in odor control or gives me a longer time between cleanings. Usually I can go about a week between cleanings sometimes with spot cleaning as well. Carefresh has the best odor control but it is just so darn pricey!

How about everyone else, good experiences with yesterday’s news? Do you use it on it’s own or what do you mix it with? Better suggestions on what I could mix with carefresh to extend its use?

Thanks!

miniver

Cavy Slave
That's the combination I use - Carefresh and YN. It works great for me. Every now and then they nibble on a piece, but it only seems to happen when I'm late with the veggies, or when they are mad at me.:)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've used both but prefer Fresh News for Cats. It's pelleted but softer than Yesterday's News. What I like the most about it is that it's really absorbent... much more than either of the two you mentioned. The other nice thing is that you can tell if any of it's not soiled so you can scoop out the clean stuff when you clean cages and reuse it. I've found the cheapest price is at Pet Supplies Plus. I have have fleece and having Fresh News in my cages.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the suggestion. I love Carefresh but its a hefty price at about $20 a week. Is Pet Supplies Plus a brick and mortar store only?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the suggestion. I love Carefresh but its a hefty price at about $20 a week. Is Pet Supplies Plus a brick and mortar store only?
It is. It sells for about $12 for a 25 lb bag there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.