Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Yes, Olivia finally decided that she wants to cuddle

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Wow she's such a beautiful piggy and congrats on getting her to cuddle with you! :) And it's good that she gets to last a long time cuddling with you, I only get 20 minutes max with my babies! Haha!

Thanks. I actually have two piggies, Dora and Olivia. Dora has no problems cuddling with me, which is why I'm spending some extra time with Olivia trying to build up the trust. Here's a picture of both.

CAM00172.jpg

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave
Thanks. When I adopted them I was told that both Dora and Olivia were very shy and nervous and they needed someone who was willing to spend lots of quality time with them and would also be very patient with them. Apparently I'm starting to reap some of the rewards for being patient and working with them.

That's great, [MENTION=30816]piggydaddy1[/MENTION]! Good for both of you. :) I have the same sort of issue with one of my piggies. So if you don't mind, how long & how often did you work with Olivia before she finally came around? Plus, if you have any tips or tricks to share, anything special you did along the way that you think helped, I'd really love to hear. Thanks!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
That's great, [MENTION=30816]piggydaddy1[/MENTION]! Good for both of you. :) I have the same sort of issue with one of my piggies. So if you don't mind, how long & how often did you work with Olivia before she finally came around? Plus, if you have any tips or tricks to share, anything special you did along the way that you think helped, I'd really love to hear. Thanks!

It's still a work in progress. My advise is to work each day with your piggies, but don't force it. What I found to help is to have one of there favorite vegetables right next to you and to reward them with some when they would cuddle and let me pet them. I think they learned that cuddling wasn't a scary after all.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
How sweet <3 I'm so glad that she's finally warming up!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
How sweet <3 I'm so glad that she's finally warming up!

Both Dora and Olivia were very shy when I first got them, but like most things, you get out of it what you put into it, so the more I work with them, the more trust they have in me and the more handling they will allow me to do.

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave
It's still a work in progress. My advise is to work each day with your piggies, but don't force it. What I found to help is to have one of there favorite vegetables right next to you and to reward them with some when they would cuddle and let me pet them. I think they learned that cuddling wasn't a scary after all.

Thanks for the tips & encouraging words, @piggydaddy1 . :) Much appreciated! I guess I'll just keep at it, then. It's interesting, as, like you, we have 2 piggies & their personalities are completely different. The other one, Emmy, totally adores lap time! She loves getting petted & happily munches on veggies, sprawls out & even naps sometimes. But we've been at it since July, and Lisbeth has just never warmed up to the idea. She likes to get petted when she's in her cage, but it's like she isn't yet able to relax when we take her out for lap time. So I'll just be patient & keep my fingers crossed that, eventually, she'll learn to trust me & enjoy it.

Last edited:

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@Epiphanee it really helped get Ferb used to lap time if I kept a cuddle sack on my lap so he could hide in it but I could still hand feed him veggies and pet his head. It did take some time.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I think I owe both Dora and Olivia some extra cuddle time tonight. I had my 6 and 4 year old daughters this weekend and lets just say they can be very energetic at times. Both piggies pretty much stayed in there cuddle sacks except when it was veggie time. When I came home from dropping my daughters off at there mothers, both piggies finally came out, I think to check and see if they were still around.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Tonights cuddle time with Dora as she's laying very content on my chest.

Attachments

CAM00256.jpg CAM00262.jpg
Last edited:

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I guess Dora decided laying on my arm was much more comfortable then my chest.

CAM00264.jpgCAM00266.jpg

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave
@Epiphanee it really helped get Ferb used to lap time if I kept a cuddle sack on my lap so he could hide in it but I could still hand feed him veggies and pet his head. It did take some time.

Thanks for pointing that out, [MENTION=30078]Rywen[/MENTION]! :) We use snuggle sacks for piggy-transport to & from the cage, so both our piggies are already in one for lap time. You are so right about it helping Lisbeth feel safer, though, just like with Ferb! She totally freezes up when we have to take her out of it, like for weight checks & nail trims. Still, we're trying.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Lisbeth is a really pretty name.

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave
Lisbeth is a really pretty name.

Thanks so much, [MENTION=30078]Rywen[/MENTION]. :) My hubster named her after the character in Girl with a Dragon Tattoo because she is super smart, pretty in an unusual way, but rather high strung & kind of a, uhm, errr, well, kind of "cranky". hahaha

KimmiA

Cavy Slave
Awwww! This put a huge smile on my face! What a lucky piggy :D

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Well aparently Dora has decided she would rather play in her cuddle sack tonight then actually cuddle, but she so being so cute doing it, so it's ok.

CAM00336.jpgCAM00326.jpgCAM00325.jpgCAM00330.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.