Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Craigslist...hold my tongue?

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
I've become a craigslist vigilante for cavy care... I'm not sure it's a good thing or a bad thing. I email the people offering cages or guinea pigs n mostly say why they shouldn't do "x" and follow it with this website... Am i taking it too far?

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I have wanted to do that or someone who is giving some guinea pigs away to come here but I guess I am to cowardly or afraid to do it. >_< Which sounds so stupid because that is what is best for the animal but I feel like they will scream at me or something. I don't know.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I can't imagine someone looking to offload a guinea pig is going to be terribly receptive to receiving unsolicited advice on better care for an animal they are looking to get rid of anyway. There are nice ways to do it, I know some folks approach it from the standpoint, 'please tell the people in their new home about _____' ... if you have the time and energy and feel you're doing something positive, I suppose it isn't a bad thing. Perusing CL gets tiring, though. The halfwits and idiots gravitate toward it, it seems, and it's more a source of frustration than anything else, for me.

chas25

Cavy Slave
I havent done that but I did contact a lady looking for a guinea pig and directed her to this website and a guinea pig rescue thats closeby

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
I only do that for cages. If rehoming guinea pigs, i route them to guineapigzone or petfinder. I also suggest to all of them this site... I just don't know if someone gets really ticked, will they take it out on me or the site? Me, i can handle. The site, well, maybe i just shouldn't suggest this site...?

chas25

Cavy Slave
I don't see why they would take it out on the site. And if they do the admin can always block them if they get out of hand

Sunny

Cavy Slave
The key is to do it from an understanding, non-judgemental perspective. Don't say, "Oh my God, your are a cruel and terrible person!"

More like, "What a cute guinea pig! I've had pigs for quite awhile and noticed that they are much happier and healthier when xyz.... Maybe suggest that the next owner looks into that! Good luck rehoming your piggy."

I find that approach is much more effective.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The only times I have e-mailed were to ads rehoming guinea pigs because of allergies. I suggest switching bedding and hay types before trying to rehome. I've kept a few pigs in their homes this way, most people in that situation are grateful but not all. There are lots of stupid people on CL as Paula said.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I'd been fairly diplomatic but these suggestions will help more!

GuineaGirls
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
@GuineaGirls You are against me emailing listers? Or you are against Craigslist? The answer was a bit vague for my ADD brain... I'm trying to help people get properly educated on guinea pig care.

GuineaGirls
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
:) I'm all for Craigslist WHEN USED PROPERLY!! I hate when people misuse any site, actually. I've gotten a TON of yarn really cheap off Craigslist when I was living in Chicago... Got over $600 worth of patterns, hooks, books, yarn, kits, and accessories once for $40... :) So I get where you're coming from. I'd rescue but just can't afford it at this point. I'm trying to find homes for a couple cavies I got from the original owner of mine. I have 2 boars and 3 sows. I want to keep 2 total...just not sure which two!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
There's no reason to be against Craigslist itself. It makes an excellent complement to shelters and rescues. If people are able to rehome their unwanted piggies on CL, they won't dump them off to take up rescue or shelter space or, worse yet, just let them loose. I adopted Amy from Craigslist and wouldn't hesitate to get a pig from there again. You just have to be very, very careful of the breeders. They're not supposed to post there, but of course they do, and some are very stealthy about pretending they're just rehoming.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=22259]mufasa[/MENTION] i was also worried about giving my pigs to someone advertising wanting them. Unfortunately, the kokomo lady fell thru. Got some closer to her. Still hopeful about the michigan girl

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.