Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Help me! My guinea pig sounds different!

kankrisfaygo

Cavy Gazer
Just a few minutes ago. I was holding my guinea pig. I know it might be my fault but when I was putting him back into his cage he fell out of my hands and landed on the ground. Instantly I picked him back up to comfort him and see if he was hurt. But then I noticed after I put him back, he began to make different sounds. No longer squeaking or any normal sounds a guinea pig would make. I've had these guys for a little over three years and this is the first time this has happened. He's eating fine and drinking fine and acting fine. I am just scared something happened to him that was bad. :(

Here is a video of the sounds, please help me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCNmoxhVAU

Thank you so much for your help.

PiggygirlsMama

Cavy Gazer
I am no vet, and not experienced in the ways of guinea pigs. But I am experienced in small animal caring (proud mom of a diva rabbit). If something doesn't seem right, out of the normal take him to a vet.
I know that's most likely not the advice you want to hear, but it's the best I can give. I hope someone can give better advice.

kankrisfaygo

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much!

kankrisfaygo

Cavy Gazer
@grace&piggies He's all better now. I think he was just scared maybe? Or spooked. I don't know but he is fine and making his little guinea pig sounds. :D

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do keep an eye on him for any sudden changes. Pigs are very good at masking illness or injury until it's almost too late, so monitoring him for a period of time will help determine if he truly is fine.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it, @kankrisfaygo! I do agree that keeping a close eye on him is a very good idea just in case. Being a prey animal, guinea pigs are unfortunately pro at hiding ailments. Don't let this cutie get one over you.

kankrisfaygo

Cavy Gazer
@grace&piggies @GuineaPigpapa Since their cage is in my bedroom, do you think that is good enough monitoring since I don't regularly leave it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're with them regularly that's great. Just be mindful to any changes in appetite, behavior, things like that. And especially weight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.