Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

3 Pigs at Kill Shelter in Central FL. Only 1 day left!

• Thread starter porkchophamster
  • Start date

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Re: 3 Pigs at Kill Shelter in Central FL. Only 2 days left!

I would absolutely take them if I wasn't literally as far as I could be away from them without being in a different country. :(

I'll be praying someone can take them! You all are truly amazing for trying so hard to help the poor dears.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave

This is why I love this site...

We all come together as one from all over the world and we just saved save lives.:love:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer

I hope someone can take them even if just temporarily. At this point it's better to live in a pet store cage than be dead.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

I was up at 5 am pacific time to see if there is any news. You couldn't pay me enough to work in a kill shelter. How can you kill an obviously healthy animal. I am for putting to sleep but only if they have something that is painful and cannot be cured, that the quality of life is basically none.

The gps look healthy especially considering their poor circumstances. The rabbit really looks like he needs a special home, his coat does not look good. Poor thing. :(

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer

The rabbit could be perfectly healthy. It may just be shedding out its winter coat.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave

Has anyone saved them yet? Only 1 more day!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

The Humane Society is no-kill right?

The ones I know of are kill shelters, but they usually give animals many months to find a home. And, I doubt that the pigs would be at risk. Our kill shelters don't euthanize small pets. Actually, most of our kill shelters work very closely with local no-kills and the no-kills take the "threatened" animals in.

If there is still no plan in place for tomorrow, by tomorrow, I'm going to call them tomorrow morning to ask if they'd spare them if I sponsored them.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles have you talked to your husband about the pigs yet?
Suntree-Viera Pet rescue replied to my email and said they could take the pigs, but not the rabbit.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Hubby was very against this. He expressed issue with lack of space in the living room(a room we hardly ever use) and the fact that we dont know how long we'll have them to rehome. It absolutely kills me to not be able to take them in. I was very surprised at how stubborn he was, I thought for sure that with it being temporary, he'd waver. But I sort of understand his response.

But in light of this, Hope Ranch said the pigs and buns don't get put to sleep. I was going to call the animal control to see what time their out date is. So I'll see if I can confirm that tidbit info.
uploadfromtaptalk1391536828882.jpg

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Hubby was very against this. He expressed issue with lack of space in the living room(a room we hardly ever use) and the fact that we dont know how long we'll have them to rehome. It absolutely kills me to not be able to take them in. I was very surprised at how stubborn he was, I thought for sure that with it being temporary, he'd waver. But I sort of understand his response.

But in light of this, Hope Ranch said the pigs and buns don't get put to sleep. I was going to call the animal control to see what time their out date is. So I'll see if I can confirm that tidbit info.
View attachment 60835

Oh my gosh, if that's true then that would be amazing.
Please let me know if they would actually be going to that rescue on their out date.
I've been so worried about these guys.
Should I continue trying to find a place to take in the rabbit or wait to see if them going to Fallin Pines is actually legitimate?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I just got off the phone with animal services, they didn't mention the animals going to Faillin Pines. They said the animals could be euthinzied if there is no adoption application and adoption fee on them. I asked if it could be done over the phone, she said no. I asked if there is a set time for due outs, she said not usually. :/

Now I think I am going to contact Faillin Pines.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
If Fallin Pines says they aren't going to be taking them, let me know and I'll call the place they're all at and ask if they could just hold onto them until i get there to pick them up.
Like I said I have a place that is willing to take in the pigs, I would just have to find somewhere for the rabbit.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
And I just got off the phone with Faillin Pines! All exotics go to Faillin Pines!!! Orange County Animal Services have a contract with the rescue and no exotic gets put to sleep, instead they are immediately sent to Faillin Pines. Whew! That is such a relief!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
And I just got off the phone with Faillin Pines! All exotics go to Faillin Pines!!! Orange County Animal Services have a contract with the rescue and no exotic gets put to sleep, instead they are immediately sent to Faillin Pines. Whew! That is such a relief!

That's great! Oh man, I can't even describe how happy I am!
I was so worried that they wouldn't hold the pigs for me and that I would get there too late.
This is such wonderful news. :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

That's wonderful news. Can you post a link to Fallin Pines?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm sure this exact scenario is playing out all over the country right now. There were lots of comments from individuals wishing they'd be closer so they could take them. if you have the space, why not get in touch with your local animal control to see if they have guinea pigs at risk of being euthanized and adopt or foster them? Our local animal control transfers animals to the different rescues in the area so there's little risk of them being euthanized but I know most aren't like that.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Thanks Aleks. I try to donate each month to rescues (usually the no-kills I volunteer at). They'll be one I'll try to donate too as well (since it sounds like they're responsible for saving seriously at risk pigs and other exotics).

Pinky: I completely agree! Luckily, near me the shelters send their "at risk" animals to no-kill shelters near by. If they don't do that, they don't euthanize small animals. Most shelters near me rarely euthanize, and they usually only euthanize cats (most around here are good at adopting out dogs, but cats... not so much). As a cat lover, it does break my heart. But, there are several shelters just for cats that are no-kill that do try to save the at risk cats when they can.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
That's great! Oh man, I can't even describe how happy I am!
I was so worried that they wouldn't hold the pigs for me and that I would get there too late.
This is such wonderful news. :)

I know! I am so relieved that these guys will go to a better place and have a chance at life. I wonder if they do the same with dogs and cats?

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I've adopted 5 from my local SPCA haha, I'm getting another boy eventually too. Then I'll be at capacity.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.