Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Wickless Candles?

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
My mom recently got this candle warmer "Scentsy" and I love it. I want one in my own room but I'm worried about the two guinea pigs I have in there. If I keep it on the other side of the room would it be safe? All it does is warm up some "aromatic wax". It says Ingredients: Wax, Fragrance, Dye. I'm well aware of spraying anything such as air fresheners or cleaning stuff. I constantly have my ceiling fan on low. So would this be safe? It wouldn't be on 24/7 but just sometimes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not safe for the guinea pigs, and it's not safe for you. (broken link removed)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Also read (broken link removed)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
If you want scented candles, go for all natural beewax candles with pure essential oils.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Even with the natural ones, you're still burning and inhaling chemicals.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Even with the natural ones, you're still burning and inhaling chemicals.

But what kind of chemicals?
So far I haven't found any sources claiming beeswax candles with cotton wicks release anything hazardous when burned?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Everything is chemicals. The fact that they're natural doesn't mean that they can't harm you.

I don't know of any sources claiming that either, but I also doubt seriously that anyone has tested it. There's this prevailing notion that if it's natural, it's ok. But it's not necessarily so. Poison ivy is all natural, and inhaled, it can kill you.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Everything is chemicals. The fact that they're natural doesn't mean that they can't harm you.

I don't know of any sources claiming that either, but I also doubt seriously that anyone has tested it. There's this prevailing notion that if it's natural, it's ok. But it's not necessarily so. Poison ivy is all natural, and inhaled, it can kill you.

Absolutely.
But since they've tested these candles to prove they release negative ions and are non-polluting, they should've noticed any known hazardous chemicals I'd hope.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're more hopeful than I am. I'd want to know who did the testing, if they had any vested interest in the results.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Depends on your level of concern. As mentioned none of that stuff is great for you but to me it does not personally concern me, I burn candles regularly and I've used the wax tarts. That being said if your room is small it can be more concentrated and stronger smelling which can be more irritating. It is all a judgement call.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I remember reading a study on this in college and I'm still searching for it online if you guys want to read it.
Basically, scented candles made with paraffin (the most common ingredient for candles) are carcinogenic, especially in areas that are not well ventilated. Beeswax candles have less pollutants but yes, they still have them. I have never seen a study on wickless candles but assume it's basically the same, without the risk of lead in the air that some wicks produce.

Here's some research done by the EPA identifying pollutants in candles and incense. This study doesn't distinguish between paraffin and beeswax but I'll keep looking for that study.
https://nepis.epa.gov/Adobe/PDF/P1009BZL.pdf

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Well I can't find the article. I saw lots of information about paraffin vs beeswax on google, but none of them were academic sources so I tend to not trust those as much. Of course, when you are burning anything it gives off chemicals in the air - that's what smoke is. Honestly, I have scented candles at my house and love the way they smell. I haven't used them since I got pets but after doing some research today, I'm going to throw away those Yankee candles today. I have allergies and asthma and never really thought about how horrible candles and some of the cleaners I use are. Obviously, everyone can make their own decisions on that but candles and incense have a seriously scary amount of carcinogens when I read the study in post (broken link removed) so keep that in mind.
Sorry OP, I feel like this post has digressed but it was interesting to me :)
If anyone is looking for safer candles, I also found this little article on what to look for: https://asthma.ca/corp/services/pdf/asthma_candles_eng.pdf

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
Depends on your level of concern. As mentioned none of that stuff is great for you but to me it does not personally concern me, I burn candles regularly and I've used the wax tarts. That being said if your room is small it can be more concentrated and stronger smelling which can be more irritating. It is all a judgement call.
In all honesty I know that they aren't great for you but that's not going to stop me. My pigs never had any problems with small candles in my room and neither have I. My room is rather large and they're right next to the door (no drafts don't worry). I tried the scentsy in my room for a few minutes and the smell was gentle and and nice. I prefer using a eucalyptus smelling one. All I want to know is if it it'll seriously harm my guinea pigs. It would only be on for maybe and hour and then i'd turn it off because even i know when a smell needs to go away. What do you recommend that I do? I don't want anything that'll kill them.

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
Well I can't find the article. I saw lots of information about paraffin vs beeswax on google, but none of them were academic sources so I tend to not trust those as much. Of course, when you are burning anything it gives off chemicals in the air - that's what smoke is. Honestly, I have scented candles at my house and love the way they smell. I haven't used them since I got pets but after doing some research today, I'm going to throw away those Yankee candles today. I have allergies and asthma and never really thought about how horrible candles and some of the cleaners I use are. Obviously, everyone can make their own decisions on that but candles and incense have a seriously scary amount of carcinogens when I read the study in post (broken link removed) so keep that in mind.
Sorry OP, I feel like this post has digressed but it was interesting to me :)
If anyone is looking for safer candles, I also found this little article on what to look for: https://asthma.ca/corp/services/pdf/asthma_candles_eng.pdf
Thanks for the reply and yeah i know it's kind of on a debate of chemicals now but that's so not what i was asking. luckily i have you and another to answer the actual question. I don't usually burn candles in my room because it doesn't do anything for me. The scentsy thing my mom bought actually makes it smell sweet in my room. I know everything gives off chemicals and nothing is 100% natural or whatever. But what I just want to know is if it'll seriously harm my pigs. I have a well ventilated room and a rather large one at that.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
In all honesty I know that they aren't great for you but that's not going to stop me. My pigs never had any problems with small candles in my room and neither have I. My room is rather large and they're right next to the door (no drafts don't worry). I tried the scentsy in my room for a few minutes and the smell was gentle and and nice. I prefer using a eucalyptus smelling one. All I want to know is if it it'll seriously harm my guinea pigs. It would only be on for maybe and hour and then i'd turn it off because even i know when a smell needs to go away. What do you recommend that I do? I don't want anything that'll kill them.

I'm not going to say anything with certainty- I am not a vet- but I personally have never had a pig get sick with burning candles in the same room as them. My pigs are in the living room and I burn candles regularly in the same room as them, no one has died, no one has gotten a URI. Just watch them, if they sneeze, get lethargic, or you notice anything 'off' about them, then id recommend stopping. Again I'm no vet, but in my personal experience burning tarts/ candles has not hurt and certainly not killed my guinea pigs.

That being said, if it is your pigs that smell, perhaps you need to look into switching to more effective odor controlling bedding or cleaning their cage more often.

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
I'm not going to say anything with certainty- I am not a vet- but I personally have never had a pig get sick with burning candles in the same room as them. My pigs are in the living room and I burn candles regularly in the same room as them, no one has died, no one has gotten a URI. Just watch them, if they sneeze, get lethargic, or you notice anything 'off' about them, then id recommend stopping. Again I'm no vet, but in my personal experience burning tarts/ candles has not hurt and certainly not killed my guinea pigs.

That being said, if it is your pigs that smell, perhaps you need to look into switching to more effective odor controlling bedding or cleaning their cage more often.

Hope that helped!
Yes this helps quite a lot thank you!

mecole

Cavy Slave
Out of curiosity: my exotics vet sells candles that are specifically created to eliminate pet odors, and they say they are safe for pets to inhale. They're called "Pet Odor Exterminator Candle" (different colors with silver lids; see Amazon). I've never bought one because I don't trust myself with fire, but has anyone had any experience with them? They *might* be a good option (I can't verify if their claims are truthful), though I personally would say it's better to be safe than sorry, and just go without candles in that room.

Last edited:

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
When one of my pigs died we did a necropsy on her and her lungs had something strange in them (black spots/scaring). I did make a mental note to never burn scented candles or use scented spray again because we weren't sure what caused it and those were potential causes. I rarely burned candles or even use scented sprays prior, but I wouldn't want to risk it since it's not a life necessity that my house smell like fake flowers or vanilla. It's not what killed her, but she was only 4.5 at the time so who knows what it might've turned into given the chance.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.