Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Advise needed on newly single pig

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Yesterday was a traumatic day. Our piggy Gidget had some sort of seizure or something. My husband found her on the floor of the cage not moving, not able to stand, barely breathing. It took us over half an hour to even find a vet that would put her to sleep because "they don't see guinea pigs." She was 7 and it was clear she wasn't going to live so it was really our only option. It was a mess. The real problem is our now single pig Lexi.

We aren't entirely sure if we should be getting her a new friend. About two months ago one of our other piggies was found dead in their cage. She was only about 5 but her entire family had medical issues, we rescued her, her siblings and her mother when the babies were only about 2 weeks old from a backyard breeder. Our girl was the longest survivor of that family by several years so it wasn't a surprise that she had a seizure or something of the sort and passed suddenly. What was a surprise was that when I found her it looked like she had been attacked, there were wounds on her nose and her face and we thought Lexi had attacked her. We later realized that since there was no blood in the cage Lexi had done the damage after she was dead. Except when we found Gidget she was still alive. And her ears had been chewed off. Lexi ate her ears while she was still alive and unable to move.

I'm terrified of getting Lexi a new friend now. I know she's not attacking them herself, I'm not sure why she is attacking them after they have a seizure or stroke but it's really scary to think of it happening again. Lexi is only about 5 years old and of all our pigs had the best health. I don't see her having any problems like the others did at least not right now. I don't want her to get depressed but I also am not sure a new cage mate is a good call. To complicate things further we are moving out of our house in 5 days and she will have to go into boarding for about a week. I'm worried that we won't be able to keep an eye on her and notice if she is getting depressed.

Another issue with keeping her as a single pig. I am 5 months pregnant and the smell of the cage makes me so sick. They haven't got floor time in months but Gidget was old, Lexi always hated it and they had each other so we didn't worry. Now that she is alone I know she will need more cuddles and interaction but with pregnancy and then a newborn that's just not possible for us. I NEVER want to be that person who rehomes a pet just because they are pregnant but if she has to remain a single pig she deserves to be with an owner that can give her the time and attention she deserves and that's just not us anymore.

I'm really torn. What do you guys think? I'll take any advise I can get.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I think that you should get her a cagemate, but that you should find a cavy-savvy vet first. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I think that you should get her a cagemate, but that you should find a cavy-savvy vet first. I'm sorry for your loss.

We HAVE a cavy savy vet. I've had pigs for over 5 years and I used to run a rescue from my home when I lived in another state, believe me we have a yet. Yesterday was Sunday, everywhere is closed. Kind of limited my options. We called every emergency vet in our city, none would take her.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave

I'm so sorry! That totally sounded snarky and I didn't mean for it to. Been a long couple days. I do apologize!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It's alright, I can't imagine what sort of a state I would be in if that had happened to me. Sorry for assuming.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
So Lexi only has issues when her cagemate is experiencing a medical event but is fine with them the rest of the time? If that is the case then I see no major reason not to try and find her a new cage mate as she is only doing the behaviour under very specific circumstances.

As for why she hurts them when they experience a major medical event, my best guess would be either distress or fear. If they were flailing during the medical event that could have scared Lexi and led her to attack. Alternatively if she had noticed something was off with them she could have become distressed and attempted to groom them, then been much too rough with her grooming leading to physical damage and she may not have know she was being too rough as the sick/dying guinea pig may not have reacted at all (this kind of over grooming to the point of physical damage behaviour is also sometimes seen in mother guinea pigs who have a stillborn pup).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.