Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Toliet Paper Tubes

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
How do I make them more interest for my piggies? Flower always loved then but the herd I have now doesnt even bother with them. The only mark the one in there now is a chew from a baby.

How do I make more toys with them?
Is there any chance of the pigs to like them in the furture?

Im probably just comparing the pigs I have now to Flower.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I tried to make toilet paper tubes in any creative way I could, but my guinea pigs won't touch them. I might find a nibble on them sometimes, but that's it. You can look on YouTube, on homemade guinea pig toys, and there are a lot of homemade ideas! They might like them in the future, but mine don't. :sad: Maybe you could put hay in the middle.

Last edited:

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My pigs like "paper bag tunnels". I just get a brown paper lunch bag, rip open one end to make a tunnel, and ta-da! instant toy. Not quite a toilet paper tube, but they're much more popular with my herd.

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Mine love that!!!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Stuff hay into the tubes. They'll start eating most of the hay from the ends, but when that runs out they'll tear up the tube to get to the rest of it.

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I fill them with hay. They toss them around and tear them apart. It's fun to watch.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
A WORD OF CAUTION:
Please be very careful with toilet paper tubes. The glue used to attach the toilet paper sheets to the roll is not food grade, and should not be ingested. It is my understanding that your piggies are not terribly interested in chewing on them, however, you still must take great caution. It is almost impossible to get all traces of this glue off, and I would rather be safe than sorry.
Paper towel roles, on the other hand, are perfectly harmless, and most piggies love them.

To generate more interest in the tube, try stuffing it with many guinea pig necessities ;) . Stuff it with hay, or put their breakfast/dinner veggies inside, pinch the ends closed (so they have to chew through the role to get their snack), and leave in their cage. If you put their veggies inside, monitor them to make sure they figure it out. If they can't in 5-10 minutes, remove the veggies and serve them in the usual bowl.
You could also use a binder clip, or punch a hole in the tube and thread a metal ring hook through it to hang the tube from the side, or top of the cage. My guinea pigs don't usually show an interest in tubes unless I hang them up.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
A WORD OF CAUTION:
Please be very careful with toilet paper tubes. The glue used to attach the toilet paper sheets to the roll is not food grade, and should not be ingested. It is my understanding that your piggies are not terribly interested in chewing on them, however, you still must take great caution. It is almost impossible to get all traces of this glue off, and I would rather be safe than sorry.
Paper towel roles, on the other hand, are perfectly harmless, and most piggies love them.

To generate more interest in the tube, try stuffing it with many guinea pig necessities ;) . Stuff it with hay, or put their breakfast/dinner veggies inside, pinch the ends closed (so they have to chew through the role to get their snack), and leave in their cage. If you put their veggies inside, monitor them to make sure they figure it out. If they can't in 5-10 minutes, remove the veggies and serve them in the usual bowl.
You could also use a binder clip, or punch a hole in the tube and thread a metal ring hook through it to hang the tube from the side, or top of the cage. My guinea pigs don't usually show an interest in tubes unless I hang them up.

Ok. I will start using paper towel tubes. And those are good ideas. I like the hanging idea since you can stuff it with hay, veggies, treats, etc.

[MENTION=28211]BestGuineaPigs[/MENTION] Ok! I will look. I made a little kabob toy with one and just threw the kabob with iot on the ground for playtime and they seemed to love it.

[MENTION=22877]stray hares[/MENTION] I will have to try that. I know Flower and Firecracker used to love bags, but I havent tried them out with the herd.

[MENTION=21775]Mastershroom[/MENTION] I can do that now, because babies can stick their heads inside. Pretty soon I will need to take them out for a bit so babies won't get stuck

[MENTION=28379]GeekPrincess[/MENTION] I take stuffing with hay is popular? lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
My pigs destroy toilet paper tubes - even without hay in. What I do is poke some holes in the tube and thread willow sticks/branches through. Then, I add some finely chopped up veggies inside.
The piggies then have to shake and throw the tube to get their treats, its so entertaining to watch! They love it, and chew the remains after. Another good toy is the roll and snack ball (it doesn't have an actual name) where you thread veggies through the holes. The pigs have to "roll" the ball for them to drop out.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I found something that said to cut the tube into circles 1/2 - 1 inch thick put a little tomato in one and thread the other circles over it to make a kind of ball. I could only fit 3 circles together. Rolled them into the cages and the piggies went bonkers!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.