Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New & would like advice on adoption

Rescuepigs11

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I’m new here but not to guinea pigs. I’m a veterinary nurse, so I work with pigs and I’ve always had them! Right now I have a single female English crested who’s a year old. I recently adopted her from a family member. The family member did have another piggy with her who passed away, they didn’t want to get another pig so they rehomed her to me knowing I would gladly get her some friends!
she’s a very sweet pig who does great with others (we have had a few play dates and they go great!) anyways….here’s where I need advice. Tomorrow I’m adopting (free of charge) three young bonded females from a family about an hour away from me. Mind you I’m 29 and the piggy’s I’m getting are from a family with kids. They come with a tiny horrible pet store cage also for free. Feel free to disagree, but I strongly feel like guinea pigs aren’t for kids. This family made the post to rehome saying they don’t have time to give them care anymore. This is such a typical thing I see everywhere, where parents buy them for kids and rehome them soon after.
I made arrangements to pick them up tomorrow and today the Mom asked if they could visit the pigs sometime because her kids would miss them. I’m a people pleaser, so I texted back and said “yeah sure! And I can always send photos too!” I’m regretting this. I do not want them to visit. But I will gladly send photos if they would like. My husband is also not ok with a family we really don’t know coming to our home to visit pets that they couldn’t care for. We don’t know them, just because we’re taking their piggy’s doesn’t mean I want them to visit, ever. I said sure, so now am I really going to have to let them in the future? Or if it ever comes up, can I make an excuse? Can I just say no? Should I not adopt these pigs and find others? Help!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You're not obligated to do anything for anyone, so find your chosen excuse and use it (covid, family says no visitors, etc), or just block their phone number. If they really care about/miss the pigs, they wouldn't be having to rehome them in the first place.

The good thing about all the pigs, is if your current pig doesn't like the other three or they don't like her, you can always have the three by themselves and try a new friend for the lone pig! But supposedly girls are way easier to bond than boys. I only have boys.

What size cage do you have right now? I'd go as big as possible with 4 sows! This site recommends 2x6 grids to start, but I'd go even bigger if you can. If it were me, I'd go wider in addition to the 6 grids long.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @4boipigs. Good advice.

When introducing one pig to a group, be sure to give it LOTS of time and don't rush the process. Make sure they're thoroughly worn out before putting them in the cage. And just before doing that, a buddy bath might be helpful -- the shared terror may increase their liking for each other. And put a teeny tiny drop of vanilla on each nose and tail. That way they'll all smell alike.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
In addition to @4boipigs' good advice, my gut is that this family likely won't follow through with coming to visit the pigs at your place. This family lives about an hour away, which makes it inconvenient. During these COVID times, that is definitely a good reason not to have visitors, especially indoors. Due to COVIDI I haven't seen friends for almost two years, never mind people that I don't know. By the time COVID is really under control, that family's connection to the pigs will likely be a distant memory.

Rescuepigs11

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much!!! Yeah I’ll think of something, likely COVID. Or I’ll block the number. I agree that if they really cared they wouldn’t be getting rid of them due to “not having time” you make time when you care! Yeah from what I know sows typically bond well with appropriate cage size and other factors. My pigs have their own bedroom, I did a custom cage floor that’s huge! It basically takes up the entire rooms floor haha. Long sides are 6 grids by 3 grids on the ends! Hoping for the best picking them up tonight!!

Rescuepigs11

Cavy Gazer
Hahaha share the hatred of the bath!!! Yes good thinking!

Rescuepigs11

Cavy Gazer
That’s what I’m hoping for, that they will just move on!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I agree with @SSLee that this family will quickly lose interest in visiting the pigs once they are gone from their house. I wouldn't be afraid to continue with the rehoming because I don't think they will even contact you again. I do agree with you that guinea pigs are not for children. We adults love them for the innocent little beings that they are but kids quickly lose interest in them because they aren't the most exciting pets to own. They are also far too fragile for children to handle.

Thank you for adopting these piggies and giving them a wonderful new life. I would love to see pictures of them when you have the time to post.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.