Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Experiences / uncertainties with Vet, am I just overprotective?

Gutfunk

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have always been having a nagging feeling that my vet may be trying to upcharge extra services that aren't needed, but this latest trip to the vet made me feel like I made a terrible choice.

First of all, one of my pigs is terrified of everything involving the vet. Last week we listened to her breathing, and it sounded ever so slightly off. There were no other signs of illness, no lethargy, crusts, no change in eating habits / pooping / etc. But just to be safe we thought we should probably take her in. We've done this before half a dozen times with both of our pigs, they never really show any concrete signs of illness, most of the time we hear their breathing sounds a little off so we take them in, because the universal advice on the internet is to take them in whenever something is off.

Most of the time, the vet examines them, and then comes up with 'well... I can't really tell if they are sick, it's really hard to tell with guinea pigs, but you should probably get Xrays and Baytril just in case.' Usually I just accept and trust the vet and go through with the Baytril and usually pass on the Xrays, because that seems excessive for something that the vet isn't even sure about. But this happens every time we are concerned that they are sick... we've never actually (thank goodness, i suppose!) had a certain 'yep, this pig really is sick!' when we take them in. It's starting to become worrisome that we are giving them baytril for nothing... and thinking about if we accepted Xrays every single time... is it really okay to Xray a guinea pig so much if we did go through with it?? (not to mention... 200 dollars an xray.... on top of the 100 dollars per pig exam)

Anyway, I felt absolutely like I made the wrong choice when the vet suggested giving our guinea pig a fluid injection. Our guinea pig was already very stressed during our hour long visit, but I decided I should trust the vet. I thought it was going to be a quick and slightly annoying procedure for the guinea pig, but they brought out a very large needle with what looked like 100ml of water. My guinea pig screamed constantly, flailed, squirmed, and went limp several times during this traumatic ordeal of injecting all that water into her... (I had to help the vet hold her because she kept trying to jump off the table) which took around a full minute to do. The fact that they weren't even sure if she was sick and they still went with such an extremely stressful ordeal... I am not sure I feel like I can trust them now. It took a full day for my guinea pig to come out of hiding after the whole experience, and at least for the time being, she runs the second she sees me in sight. When I am not around, she is still acting normal with the other pig, eating fine, drinking fine, etc, no signs of sickness, she just seems a bit terrified of me whenever I come in to check on them.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I just feel like I need to get this out and ask if anyone has any opinions or advice regarding this... I just feel like I made a bad choice recently and can't get it out of my head.

I guess a few questions I'd like to ask in summary:

Am I being too cautious and taking my pigs to the vet too much? (The vet seems to think I'm catching these things early, but also tells me they can't really tell for sure if they are sick)

Should I trust my vet has my pets best interest in mind and stop worrying about any trauma the guinea pig goes through with suggested procedures?

Is it weird to think the vet is pushing procedures just to get more money? At 100 dollars per pig the bill seems pretty high already, but each time they always seem to suggest extra shots and xrays that send the price soaring... Don't get me wrong, money is no object to my pigs health, but I want to pay for procedures that are actually needed, not 'maybe they might need this.'

SavvyCavy1

Cavy Gazer
I've found that vets often push procedures just for an extra buck, they would do this often with my Labrador. I quickly changed vets. You shouldn't do anything stressful to the piggie unless absolutely nessesary; injections for prevention of something they aren't even sure is there is a sign that your vet is trying to pile on expensive and unnecessary treatments for an extra buck. Personally, I would try to find a vet that specializes in exotics and/or small animals in your area if you haven't done so already. Usually a vet who is being honest and who is actually trying to help your animal will give you a diagnosis before starting a medication. In all my years of having pets, the only time my pigs have needed x rays are if the vet suspects a broken limb or bone. A chest X-ray on a cavy is really quite unheard of due to the changes you can hear in their breathing. My piggie, Daisy, had a uri (upper respiratory infection) and my vet and I caught it via the change in her breathing. Started her on anti biotics given orally by syringe. The only time my vet has ever given injections to my piggie is when she was having seizures in order to combat them on her last day. I hoped this helps! ~Savvy

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think breathing being "ever so slightly off" is enough reason to go to the vet. Pigs can go downhill in a hurry, but if you're watchful for other signs, you can catch any illness before it really gets started. With respiratory stuff, you're concerned with things like sneezing, eyes watering, runny nose, harsh breathing, sitting with their nose in a corner and/or their hair puffed up, or really abnormal breathing. If the breathing stays "off," or the pig isn't eating/pooping/drinking/peeing normally, then you can see a vet.

I second the need for a good exotic vet. "Small animal" vets means dogs and cats, not pocket pets, and many small animal vets know little or nothing about guinea pigs, and can be downright dangerous. And $200 for an x-ray is ridiculous unless there's something really wrong and they're sending it out to a radiologist for a reading. Even then, that's high.

Pigs really don't like administration of fluids by subcue, which is what your pig had, but they're sometimes necessary. However, the pig usually just protests when the needle is being inserted, and then calms down. Mine will usually actually eat when sitting there with the fluid running in. That said, subcues are usually only given when the pig shows signs of dehydration (eyes sunken in, skin doesn't immediately rebound when pinched, etc), or when the owner reports that the pig hasn't been drinking or peeing.

It does sound like your vet might be padding the bill a bit. I'd find an exotic vet.

Gutfunk

Cavy Slave
Thank you, that helps so, so much, just that little bit of input! I would still love to hear more people's advice. I've actually had a vet tech at the same clinic decide NOT to do a suggested treatment because of how stressed my pig already was. Something about this last visit felt very wrong, and I haven't seen much advice about 'trust' issues with vets. I think I will need to start my search in this area again, because exotics around here seem to be very hard to find without driving an hour away.

Gutfunk

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advice too, bpatters. I really appreciate your input and your activity in these forums, as I frequent them from time to time to read other posts as well. I feel like my concerns are starting to be justified, and I will be now trying another search for a better vet in the area.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Wow, that vet sounds terrible. Other advice here was great so I just needed to comment, you are being scammed!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Thank you, that helps so, so much, just that little bit of input! I would still love to hear more people's advice. I've actually had a vet tech at the same clinic decide NOT to do a suggested treatment because of how stressed my pig already was. Something about this last visit felt very wrong, and I haven't seen much advice about 'trust' issues with vets. I think I will need to start my search in this area again, because exotics around here seem to be very hard to find without driving an hour away.

It sounds to me like that vet is semi-clueless and just wants your $.

To help put things in perspective, driving an hour away for a good exotics vet is not unusual. I've found it's well worth my time (even when it takes longer b/c of bad traffic) and gets the best care from the start for my piggies.

SavvyCavy1

Cavy Gazer
Ill second that, I usually drive 30-40 minutes to see my exotic. Like Rywen said, once you find a trustworthy vet, it's well worth the money in gas. The vet I found is worth her weight in gold (and she's not a very skinny person :). Once you find 'The Vet' you and your piggies will be much happier.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
My god, trust your gut. That sounds so traumatic for your poor baby.

We had a terrible experience with a vet once who literally pulled stitches out of one of our babies' wounds. Not cut, or carefully removed, but -pulled- them. After that I refused to go back there.

Get yourself a good exotic vet. Ring around, do some research, get a feel for the place before there is an emergency. We moved recently and because I don't drive, we settled for the vets I could get to on foot, also a mistake. They frequently underdosed my piggies when they were sick. There was one lady there who was amazing and really went out of her way, but as I could never guarantee getting her, I changed vets again. It's close enough I can get a taxi without it costing the earth, and all the vets there have done advanced qualifications in small animals. Yes, they are more expensive, but I need a vet I can trust again, and that, you know actually know what a probiotic is... (my last vet didn't...)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.