Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General So I walk into petco today....

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
So, I walk into petco today to grab a 40L of recycled pellets for the pigs kitchen area and i grabbed the biggest one for 20 bucks, walk passed the guinea pig section.. first mistake.
Saw the sad condition the cages were in no food no water NO bedding! Eatting their own poo and scratching. Id go to petsmart but they don't have this bedding my boars love. So I ask for help to make a complaint on the condition of the cages but of course busy Friday shopping day only 2 people working the store.
But at the corner of my eye I spy a guinia pig in a 10 gallon tank up for adoption. Small little guy. Well short story short. I have 4 boars now. He was given up and left there a few days early and they had no room as it is. They did not like the fact that I took my sweet time inspecting the little guy who was skinny but in good condition. 5 Dollar donation fee hes out the door with me.
My 3 boars can smell him they are all excited to meet him but I will take my time. I will post pigtures once he settles in tonight for awhile.
Why I should just order my items online. Always walk out with something. I do have the room extra midwest cage but am going to have to extend my C & C cage in the future. But it sure is noisy in this office!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
:( its sad to hear how badly some pet stores are run. today i went into one and it was strange because they had a large wonderful floor cage made of glass (uncovered) with fun tunnels, good bedding and lots of hay for the piggies... but right next to it was the typical aquarium cages with only hay as bedding and no hideys. the piggies made their own hideys out of hay.

i understand that petstores can be limited in space when it comes to trying to sell animals, but i think the least they can do is make sure the animals have everything else.

hope your introductions go smoothly :)

momma liz

Cavy Slave
awww! I once walked into a pet shop and saw a hamster giving birth, and other hamsters in the same cage EATING the baby hamsters! I complained but nothing was done. pet shops these days are disgusting! all the best for the new arrival :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
uff, i think the worst was seeing a half eaten dead hamster that wasn't removed..............................................

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
At my petsmart, where i got my piggies (who died after a year) were in very good condition.(before i knew it was bad). The people who work there have several guinea pigs of their own and know about each pets specifically. They take them out of the cage and hold each one. Every worker loved each of the pigs and was sad to see them go. I know some of you think this is a crock of nonsense but they did. Petco on the other hand, well i walked in there and they had 7 guinea pigs in a 20 gallon aquarium, literally stacked on top of each other.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
Its strange for me to hear such horriable things about petco, cuz the two near me. in CA ( sunnyvale and saratoga) are rescues connected to the Humane society and take very good care of there piggies. :(

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
IMG_0094.jpgIMG_0095.jpg

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
can anyone tell me the breed?
Yea this was a petco located in the mall so of course not the best location for animals in general, so little staff on top of it.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I would call the Petco corporate office and file a complaint. If you can go back and get cell phone photos to send, that would give your complaint more weight.

Did the store donate the $5 adoption fee to their charitable fund? I adopted Quinn at our local Petco, and they had me pay the fee directly to the spay/neuter fund (I could stand the idea of giving the store any money, but the donation was fine wtih me).

Such a cute boar! I'm sure he's glad to be out of that aquarium. That's what poor Quinn was in, too. Thankfully, the Petco here takes okay care of their piggies, but at one of the Petsmarts I found a dead pig in with the live ones. That bummed me out for the whole day. Couldn't report them for anything because there was food and water and the live pigs were in okay condition.

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
Yes I took pictures and am planning on calling the corporate office. My 3 boars running around the cage trying to find him. Hes under their cage in the mean time 2x3 poor lil guy.

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
He is so cute!!!! I walked into a local pet store today to see if they had some good pellets/hay. It's a local mom and pop store. I was sad to see these guinea pigs in a tiny (smaller than pet store cage) glass enclosed container. just hay. no food, no water. The piggies were bigger and older piggies. I asked where they got their pigs from and they said local breeders :sad: If you truly love guinea pigs then there is no way, NO WAY you would sell one or several of your pups to a pet store in that condition or any at all. I walked out and decided not to give them my business.
I am glad you spotted the little guy. He sure is cute!

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
can anyone tell me the breed?
Yea this was a petco located in the mall so of course not the best location for animals in general, so little staff on top of it.

im guessing he's an Abyssinian

mekalika

Cavy Slave
Its strange for me to hear such horriable things about petco, cuz the two near me. in CA ( sunnyvale and saratoga) are rescues connected to the Humane society and take very good care of there piggies. :(

I live near those PetCos too, and while it's great that they let the Humane Society adopt out pets in the backrooms (I got my first pig from the Sunnyvale location), I'm not so sure their store guinea pigs are super well taken care of. They're in the usual PetCo aquarium cages that are tiny, and the last time I went to PetCo in El Paseo de Saratoga, the baby female there had very crusty eyes.

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
Most of the petco/petsmart places I've been to take good care of all of their animals. The guy helping us with our new pig Hazel was more of a reptile guy, and was hitting on me every chance he got :eyeroll. He was clueless about pigs though. Other places have been wonderful with experienced associates that were pig-crazy.

Your new boy sure is cute! I'm glad you rescued him :)

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
ive never been there personal, i jest heard they have big cages! that horriable! i volenteer for HSSV i dont think i could help socialize the guinea pigs if there like that D: guess ill stick to the rabbit :(

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Awh gosh I really hate it when you see animals in terrible conditions.
I don't know how it is over there,
but I reported Pets At Home last month because of their cage conditions, I called the RSPCA emergency line
and they made them fix it in my store, which is good.
And I sent them nasty tweets ;)
I go in there a lot to check the cages as it's like 5 minutes from my flat, and they're okay at the moment.
So although it's hassle, I would encourage people to complain. It will work if enough of us do it.
p.s they hated me abusing them on twitter xD they deserved it though.
Good luck with your new boy piggy :):)

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
At my petsmart, where i got my piggies (who died after a year) were in very good condition.(before i knew it was bad). The people who work there have several guinea pigs of their own and know about each pets specifically. They take them out of the cage and hold each one. Every worker loved each of the pigs and was sad to see them go. I know some of you think this is a crock of nonsense but they did. Petco on the other hand, well i walked in there and they had 7 guinea pigs in a 20 gallon aquarium, literally stacked on top of each other.

I have the same situation. I went to petsmart tonight because I wanted to see some of the animals plus needed FOOD. My dad wants to get a skunk piggie (when we got our two, he saw one that looked like a skunk) did not see one. off to petco ( my local has an adoption center)

cavy_love43

Cavy Slave
Where about was this petco? He looks like one that's near me.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Awwww he's a cutie! No wonder you had to bring him home!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.