Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Oasis vita c drops

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So bella has decided at 2 yrs of age that she doesn't care for peppers of any color. I'm tired of fighting her so while I'll keep putting green and yellow peppers in front of her, I'm looking to syringe this to her. How many ml should I give her a day? I know you can't OD on it since what's not used is peed out.

TIA!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They may not be able to OD on the Vita Drops, but you can induce pseudo-scurvy by drastically overdoing vitamin C and then dropping it back to a normal level.

How do you plan to give it? You can put drops (four or five) on the food, or syringe two small drops to them in a bit of juice. Just don't put it in the water bottle.

Artista

Cavy Slave
They may not be able to OD on the Vita Drops, but you can induce pseudo-scurvy by drastically overdoing vitamin C and then dropping it back to a normal level.

How do you plan to give it? You can put drops (four or five) on the food, or syringe two small drops to them in a bit of juice. Just don't put it in the water bottle.

Syringe. I read people here do it but didn't catch how much. The only veggie that for sure is eaten is lettuce.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Was she eating peppers previously and now decided against them? If so, I'd take them away for a while, then try again with just one color. I don't know about others, but my guinea pig gets tired of the same foods and hay even when there is a variety each day. She didn't like cukes, now they're her favorite. She loved fresh grass, now it's corn husks. Sometimes they just need a break and then everything old is new again.

Artista

Cavy Slave
The only saving grace is she loves her kms pellets. Just don't know if that's good enough. I'm now giving her 2 tbsp a day. Especially since she probably has an ovarian cyst and some days she doesn't seem as active. Hoping that's when she's too warm, but no way to know. I'm on the fence about getting these drops. Since peppers are off the table, syringing her a little until she'll eat peppers again. What do you think @bpatters and all? And I'm not sure there's nothing else going on with her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do it.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I can share my own experience with you, but ultimately you have to make your own decision. Personally, I would never sprinkle anything on food and believe that my cavy actually ingests it. The only way to be sure is to syringe it to him.

Three or four months ago Sparky decided that he had no interest in his peppers, of any color. After about a week, I began to syringe the Vit. C two or three times a week. Then he had his episode where he almost died with CHF (congestive heart failure). Almost like a human who goes through a severely stressful experience, he began profusely shedding his hair in excessive amounts. Dr. Albin put him on two heart meds (Furosamide and Vetmedin) and recommended that I increase the dose of Vit. C. I increased the dose to 0.5 ml q.d. for the next two months. I just recently decreased the dosage to 0.3ml.

I don't know how much the Vit. C has to do with his recovery, but his fur is thick and shiny, and he sheds less than at any time in his adult life. And, he has a renewed interest in peppers. I buy the mini peppers in a variety pack of red, yellow, orange and slice them fresh for his salad. I never thought I'd see the day that he would choose the peppers to eat first from his salad, but that's exactly what he is doing these days. As an aside, I used to mix the drops with water, but now that he has other medication to take, I find that the less volume, the more amenable he is to taking his meds........and my boy takes them like a champ!

If the only thing that you are syringing is the Vit. C, then feel free to mix them with water or a little pedialyte. I don't recommend mixing anything with fruit juice, but then if that's the only way the girl will take them, then "by any means necessary".

Artista

Cavy Slave
I can share my own experience with you, but ultimately you have to make your own decision. Personally, I would never sprinkle anything on food and believe that my cavy actually ingests it. The only way to be sure is to syringe it to him.

Three or four months ago Sparky decided that he had no interest in his peppers, of any color. After about a week, I began to syringe the Vit. C two or three times a week. Then he had his episode where he almost died with CHF (congestive heart failure). Almost like a human who goes through a severely stressful experience, he began profusely shedding his hair in excessive amounts. Dr. Albin put him on two heart meds (Furosamide and Vetmedin) and recommended that I increase the dose of Vit. C. I increased the dose to 0.5 ml q.d. for the next two months. I just recently decreased the dosage to 0.3ml.

I don't know how much the Vit. C has to do with his recovery, but his fur is thick and shiny, and he sheds less than at any time in his adult life. And, he has a renewed interest in peppers. I buy the mini peppers in a variety pack of red, yellow, orange and slice them fresh for his salad. I never thought I'd see the day that he would choose the peppers to eat first from his salad, but that's exactly what he is doing these days. As an aside, I used to mix the drops with water, but now that he has other medication to take, I find that the less volume, the more amenable he is to taking his meds........and my boy takes them like a champ!

If the only thing that you are syringing is the Vit. C, then feel free to mix them with water or a little pedialyte. I don't recommend mixing anything with fruit juice, but then if that's the only way the girl will take them, then "by any means necessary".

Thanks! How many ml a day should I syringe since thus far it's whatever she gets in kms pellets which she's surprisingly not wolfing dow. I tried the small sweet peppers in every cutting style. I

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use the Oasis Vitamin C drops also. Just recently put two drops in a syringe, then filled it the rest of the way with water to supplement Punkins vitamin C when he stopped eating. Relatively painless.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thanks! How many ml a day should I syringe since thus far it's whatever she gets in kms pellets which she's surprisingly not wolfing dow.

It's not an exact science! If she's not eating peppers at all, I would draw up 0.3ml and add a little water or pedialyte.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.