Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Aw Christmas babies!! I can’t wait to see pictures ��

Yes, I will definitely put up pictures!

She still hasn't had them but ever since last night she has been acting really uncomfortable and always up and basically pacing. There is still a chance for her to have Christmas babies! I really hope she does!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Aw Christmas babies!! I can’t wait to see pictures 💕

Yes I will definitely post pictures!

She still has not had them... I wish they were Christmas babies but oh well.

We cleaned out her cage, and while I was holding her I felt kicking right in between her pelvic bones and her vulva is really puffy and swollen. Does this mean anything? And I heard some teeth gnashing coming from her behind. And she was constantly squealing and only took a few bites from her carrot. Is all this normal preparing for labor signs? Or do you think something may be wrong?

Other then just now, she has been eager to eat. She just doesn't look like she is feeling too good which is understandable.

Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes I will definitely post pictures!

She still has not had them... I wish they were Christmas babies but oh well.

We cleaned out her cage, and while I was holding her I felt kicking right in between her pelvic bones and her vulva is really puffy and swollen. Does this mean anything? And I heard some teeth gnashing coming from her behind. And she was constantly squealing and only took a few bites from her carrot. Is all this normal preparing for labor signs? Or do you think something may be wrong?

Other then just now, she has been eager to eat. She just doesn't look like she is feeling too good which is understandable.

Thanks!

I've never had sows, but something tells me you're almost at the end of your wait. Possibly even overnight tonight.

I've heard a lot of pups being born during the overnight hours, when no one is disturbing them.

Fingers crossed. I truly hope everything goes smoothly with your girl, and no problems. All are safe and healthy when all is said and done.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I just keep checking in.......I feel as though we are all on pregnancy watch! I hope that everything goes according to Nature's plan and that we soon have some baby pics. :love:

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
I've never had sows, but something tells me you're almost at the end of your wait. Possibly even overnight tonight.

I've heard a lot of pups being born during the overnight hours, when no one is disturbing them.

Fingers crossed. I truly hope everything goes smoothly with your girl, and no problems. All are safe and healthy when all is said and done.

Yes, I have heard that too. Apparently since they are predator animals they wait until all is quiet and nobody is around. Sometimes when I check on her I sneak in so that if she is about to go into labor I won't disturb her.

Thank you!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
I just keep checking in.......I feel as though we are all on pregnancy watch! I hope that everything goes according to Nature's plan and that we soon have some baby pics. :love:

Aww! Thank you so much! That means so much to me because I have been really anxious about it! I will definitely keep a close eye on her and let y'all know if anything suspicious happens!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
I remember I wanted to be there when my girl was having babies. But my family went to my grandparents one day and when we got back, there were four babies.

Yea, last time I had a guinea pig have babies I was really young but I remember I was watching some cartoons and my mom called me into the kitchen and I thought something was wrong but then saw three healthy babies! I wasn't really interested in the birth at that age, more just the cute babies. Now that I'm older I REALLY hope I can catch the birth, although I have been hoping and watching for so long, sometimes I just want to walk in to healthy happy babies! Haha

She is acting kind of strange.... whenever I sneak in without her knowing she just stays in her hideout and spins, she kind of reaches to her sides and back end. I was thinking this is just because she is HUGE and is having difficulty getting comfortable, but wanted to tell y'all in case one of your guinea pigs did this right before birth?

Thank you all SOO much! I will give updates as soon as I wake up tomorrow! Merry Belated Christmas! And Happy (soon to be) New Year! :)

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Yea, last time I had a guinea pig have babies I was really young but I remember I was watching some cartoons and my mom called me into the kitchen and I thought something was wrong but then saw three healthy babies! I wasn't really interested in the birth at that age, more just the cute babies. Now that I'm older I REALLY hope I can catch the birth, although I have been hoping and watching for so long, sometimes I just want to walk in to healthy happy babies! Haha

She is acting kind of strange.... whenever I sneak in without her knowing she just stays in her hideout and spins, she kind of reaches to her sides and back end. I was thinking this is just because she is HUGE and is having difficulty getting comfortable, but wanted to tell y'all in case one of your guinea pigs did this right before birth?

Thank you all SOO much! I will give updates as soon as I wake up tomorrow! Merry Belated Christmas! And Happy (soon to be) New Year! :)

Still no babies... she made a few really high pitched noises that I have never heard before but she did that while I was still in bed so I wasn't able to see if it was a contraction or not. Right now she is laying down in her hideout.

I will let y'all know if anything happens, thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep. We're on baby watch!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Still no babies... she made a few really high pitched noises that I have never heard before but she did that while I was still in bed so I wasn't able to see if it was a contraction or not. Right now she is laying down in her hideout.

I will let y'all know if anything happens, thanks!

SHE'S IN LABOR!!!!!!!!! Right after I posted this I walked in and she started having contractions!!!!!!!!! I can't see the baby is starting to come out because she's in her hideout so I'm just praying that it's all ok. I think if ther's no baby in the next ten to fifteen minutes I will move the hideout to check her.
THANK YOU ALL I HOPE TO BE POSTING PICTURES SOOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Just keep in mind each baby has 4 legs, so feeling the kicks will only give you a very rough idea of how many pups. Also how large or small the sows stomach is can also be deceiving, some sows can carry the pups slightly differently or have a different amount of fluid.

One of my sows was absolutely huge by the time she gave birth and she had only 1 pup, but the pup was 180 grams when born. Fortunately some of her history prior to coming into my care was known, so I knew she had birthed at least twice before, otherwise at her estimated age of around 2 that could have been very bad.

Another sow of mine was quite small at the end, still large enough that she looked pregnant but small enough that you could have sworn she was only having 1 or 2, she had 4 pups but they were about 75-80 grams on average when born, the mother herself wasn't fully grown at an estimated age of 7 months. The family I got her from were upfront about the fact that they had recently gotten her thinking she was a boar as a companion for their existing boar but found out she was a sow only after putting them together and were re-homing her. They let me know they didn't know if she was pregnant or not and didn't know anything about her life prior to them.

I hope your sow safely delivers a healthy litter. Christmas babies would be lovely.

How long after contractions start will the baby appear? She has been having contractions every minute or two for the past fifteen minutes. I can't see a baby but her pelvic bones are very very separated.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Has a baby appeared yet? It usually only takes a few minutes per bub, labouring for 15 minutes without a baby is not a great sign. Have you planned ahead with an emergency vet you can access if needed?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Has a baby appeared yet? It usually only takes a few minutes per bub, labouring for 15 minutes without a baby is not a great sign. Have you planned ahead with an emergency vet you can access if needed?

It has been over 30 minutes of contractions. They are just now getting really severe and just a few minutes ago I saw some kicking right in between her pelvic bones. What could be wrong if her pelvic bones are so separated?

There are no babies that I can see, but the kicking makes me think it is right there so I just keep checking her every minute or so.

And yes we will call a vet if she does not have a baby soon.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
It has been over 30 minutes of contractions. They are just now getting really severe and just a few minutes ago I saw some kicking right in between her pelvic bones. What could be wrong if her pelvic bones are so separated?

There are no babies that I can see, but the kicking makes me think it is right there so I just keep checking her every minute or so.

And yes we will call a vet if she does not have a baby soon.

Almond had four babies this morning! It was a 2 hour labor, first hour was severe contractions and second hour was babies! Sadly, one of the babies passed away.
The first baby that came out had some trouble breathing, Almond would not clean any of them probably because she was tired so I did it for her with paper towels. I did a bit of "CPR" and it started breathing better so I left it with Almond but now it can't seem to walk. The other two are running around and playing but it can't keep it's feet underneath itself. Any suggestions? I don't know if I should hand feed it or not.
And thank you to my friend in Australia for walking me through this process!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Almond had four babies this morning! It was a 2 hour labor, first hour was severe contractions and second hour was babies! Sadly, one of the babies passed away.
The first baby that came out had some trouble breathing, Almond would not clean any of them probably because she was tired so I did it for her with paper towels. I did a bit of "CPR" and it started breathing better so I left it with Almond but now it can't seem to walk. The other two are running around and playing but it can't keep it's feet underneath itself. Any suggestions? I don't know if I should hand feed it or not.
And thank you to my friend in Australia for walking me through this process!

There is progress!
I read on another thread about a person who was having the same trouble and her pup died. But somebody suggested leaving the pup and the mom alone together. So I took the two healthy babies out and held them for about 15 minutes and when I went back the pup was able to take a few steps! I guess it just needed some TLC from MOM. So I will do this every hour or so until it is all the way better. But if you have anymore suggestions or information about pup care please let me know! Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear!

I am sorry about the pup that didn't survive. I always hope for everything to turn out perfect. But it sounds like there may be some hope for the one who's having a difficult time.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear!

I am sorry about the pup that didn't survive. I always hope for everything to turn out perfect. But it sounds like there may be some hope for the one who's having a difficult time.

I definitely think there is hope! He is taking mutlible wobbly steps, he's so cute! I hope it Dumbo because it's ears are so big. If you have any info on sexing them that would be helpful too!
Also, how do you post pictures?

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You're welcome. :)

Just for people following this thread, Almond had a really difficult birth and @Ballet2vet did an amazing job listening to my instructions given Ballet2vet struggled to find a vet that would help a piggy that was having birthing difficulties. I don't think Almond or any of the pups would have survived if she didn't intervene because Almond really was struggling. A+ piggy midwifery skills. :)

How are Almond and her pups doing at the moment?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Just for people following this thread, Almond had a really difficult birth and @Ballet2vet did an amazing job listening to my instructions given Ballet2vet struggled to find a vet that would help a piggy that was having birthing difficulties. I don't think Almond or any of the pups would have survived if she didn't intervene because Almond really was struggling. A+ piggy midwifery skills. :)

@stray hares, great job coaching. No doubt you helped save a few lives today.

And also good job to @Ballet2vet for following instructions, as I'm sure you already know that what you've done today saved a few lives.

Congratulations on the new little ones! Do let us know how Mr Wobbly is doing?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave

Thank you! I couldn't have done it without you! :)

They are all wonderful! Almond is a very good mom. The babies are playing and love to be held.

I want to post pictures but am not sure how, does anybody know?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.