Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! I forgot to introduce myself and my piggies!

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
My name is Bridget, I'm 22 and have two handsome boars. I call them my baby boys even though one is eight months and my other is five months lol. My oldest boar's name is Sebastian James, and my youngest his name is Cosmo James. Sebastian (Bash) turned into such a lover, he kisses a lot he snuggles, sometimes when I put my hand in the cage after being gone for a while at work he comes up to my hand and lays under it asking to be pet. Now Cosmo... he's so mischievous. He zooms around his cage, pulls at his fleece, pulls hay out of Bash's mouth, pulls toys out from his mouth, burrows in my hair, nibbles my fingers (sometimes too hard) and tugs at the pan and broom I use to sweep their poo. Haha he's so bad 🤣🤣 Hopefully when he's Sebastian's age he will calm down a bit. They both are like Domino's with popcorning. Sebastian will see me at the door and start popping and shaking his head then Cosmo will, and then they chase each other around the cage it's great to come home to. I don't know what I'd do without them I love them both so much. Sebastian is the cream with white, Cosmo is the multi color black white and cinnamon color.
398bb1aee634d8e12f5988ef39e040ba.jpg
0144a75e5ac5da99d385bb03b1801493.jpg
29f2015f24c3e4132a4a0bc257de11aa.jpg
1cb3e79af69c4f99542d6cf7de126f05.jpg
9183fe97582246c425e30a3816c849fb.jpg
75548a55b062985a654a2857086ed6e3.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Cute piggies, and great names! But please, please, PLEASE get them a bigger cage. From the photos, it looks like a petstore one, and that's about the size of a liter box. Piggies need lots of room, especially two boars, to do lots of zooms around their cage. More space means more fun, and less squabbles.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
This cage is just for now, I didn't know what kind of cage they were coming with when I adopted them. I have a Midwest cage on the way. I ordered it as soon as I got them. Thanks for your concern!
Cute piggies, and great names! But please, please, PLEASE get them a bigger cage. From the photos, it looks like a petstore one, and that's about the size of a liter box. Piggies need lots of room, especially two boars, to do lots of zooms around their cage. More space means more fun, and less squabbles.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hello, @bridgetann1295 , and welcome to the forum family!

Here is some reading that's recommended for new piggie parents :

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Your new boys are absolutely adorable. Sebastian looks like he's going to be a mischievous little fella.

A Midwest cage is basically good enough to be a travel cage, if you need to transport a short distance but that's about it. Boars need as much space as you can possibly give them, and a Midwest will not be enough.

Start here at the main page https://www.guineapigcages.com/ and read from there about size requirement for pigs. Trust me, the more room they have the more they will flourish.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your help and your concern for my fur babies. But I did my research and asked my exotic pet vet about the cage and he said it is perfectly fine for my two boars. I even checked the website a million times for reviews and pictures of the cage from people who have the cage.
I really and truly appreciate your concern for my piggies [emoji175][emoji175]
Hello, @bridgetann1295 , and welcome to the forum family!

Here is some reading that's recommended for new piggie parents :

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Your new boys are absolutely adorable. Sebastian looks like he's going to be a mischievous little fella.

A Midwest cage is basically good enough to be a travel cage, if you need to transport a short distance but that's about it. Boars need as much space as you can possibly give them, and a Midwest will not be enough.

Start here at the main page https://www.guineapigcages.com/ and read from there about size requirement for pigs. Trust me, the more room they have the more they will flourish.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!
4e08721e8e8d892bbd2af3f4e988783f.jpg
5ff16793c8f0755c1ff217a40f7b272f.jpg
3dc2d41f02bc488c1603dcdc50b19c0e.jpg
c26bad5d57ea4925fba72d7b19497198.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We care about ALL the piggies, which is why we always recommend what we do. Some people can give their pigs lots of space, and some can't.

I wasn't trying to belittle you in any way, I just wanted you to know that while a Midwest is adequate, more is ALWAYS better. My little men have almost 40 square feet of my living room. Yes, I know that's crazy.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I just wanted you to know that while a Midwest is adequate, more is ALWAYS better. My little men have almost 40 square feet of my living room. Yes, I know that's crazy.
Just wanted to add that I totally agree! I started out my boys in a petstore cage, then a 2x3 CC, then a 2x4 CC, then a 3x4 CC, and now they are in a 3x6 CC. Each time I upgrade, they get happier! While that Midwest cage is a respectable size, boars require lots of room.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
So they still will be cramped and I'm not going to make them happy? :(

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Two of those cases can connect... I'm in a room right now that I can only have one of those cages... I guess I shouldn't have gotten the pigs until I moved into my own apartment then.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your pigs will be ok. A Midwest cage will be adequate, but when you can it would be fantastic for you to expand their living space. We are NOT saying they won't be happy. We ARE saying the more space they have, the happier they would be.

Your pigs are still young, at 8 months and 5 months. They still have some growing to do.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Oh okay I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It's hard to tell what people mean sometimes. I'm looking to move out soon, within a few months so they won't be in that cage too long [emoji4]

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
So they still will be cramped and I'm not going to make them happy? :(

Oh no! I hope I didn't make you feel bad! Your pigs can live a happy life in that cage, I was just trying to reinforce the idea that bigger is always better : ) If your boys get along fine in that cage I don't think you should be scrambling to get another addition ASAP.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree. Without the inflection when people speak, sometimes just plain text can be misinterpreted. I'm sure you want only the best for your little guys!

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Thank you snuggly butt and guinea pig papa for your advice! I will definitely get another west cage when I move to attach to it :) by the way, do any of your pigs play tug-of-war with each other?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
by the way, do any of your pigs play tug-of-war with each other?
Sadly my boars don't get along very well! They tolerate each other and that's it. That sounds so cute though, I'm guessing your boars do play it?

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
Yes they do, they play it with hay and they have a lot of toys but they both favor the same toy so they play it with that one too xD Everytime I try to get a picture they drop what they have and stare at me haha

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Punkin and Scooter are always inspecting each others mouths to see if one has something the other doesn't. Scooter will do all the dirty work in asking for treats, while Punkin will just hover around and look as adorable as he can while Scooter works it.

Sly was the same way with the camera. While I have many, many good pictures of him, I literally have 5 times as many blurry ones because he simply would not sit still while my phone camera was pointed at him.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
That is too cute! Sebastian will come as close to the camera as possible if I put it in the cage lol only of I put the phone in the cage other wise sometimes he poses xD piggies are so full of personality!
Punkin and Scooter are always inspecting each others mouths to see if one has something the other doesn't. Scooter will do all the dirty work in asking for treats, while Punkin will just hover around and look as adorable as he can while Scooter works it.

Sly was the same way with the camera. While I have many, many good pictures of him, I literally have 5 times as many blurry ones because he simply would not sit still while my phone camera was pointed at him.
e17f8022d0c7df0c400e093b0e1ce79b.jpg
14587fcd2a88314b3d39f4b5ce4d3d96.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Both of them will stand on their back legs, straight up for treats. This time I only caught Punkin doing it.

bridgetann1295

Cavy Slave
That is so cute!
(broken link removed)

Both of them will stand on their back legs, straight up for treats. This time I only caught Punkin doing it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.