Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do you baby proof a c&c cage?

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
Im wondering how do you baby proof a c&c cage?
I am getting my male guinea pig a c&c cage soon, I am ordering the grids later and they take about 4weeks to come in (im in ireland)

So, when I do get the cage I will be getting a guinea pig! How will I baby proof the c&c cage so he doesnt fit or choke himself in the holes?

Also for how long about untill he wont be able to fit through the holes? I know it depends but an estimate?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
One thing I know for safety is having the coroplast sides at least 6 inches high so it covers the grid holes that he would be able to reach.

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
Ok :)
So Ill put them 6 inches high, after that then could I cut them down to 4/5inches?

Will that do or will I need to do other things?
I just ordered my grids there, I may have enough to overlap them as I see you can do that, if not how will I do it?

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
You definitely can cut them down when the piggies are bigger. Also make sure there is nothing they can crawl up on to get at those grids, some of them like to climb. If things are movable they shouldn't get get stuck while exploring. Permanent objects they can get behind can be dangerous for them because they are so tiny. Hope this helps a little.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Mine is a climber and I doubled the grids, making the second one a bit shifted to the side so holes are smaller.

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I will double the grids up if I have enough, I think I do but not 100% sure.
If not what else could I do? Maybe carborad and cable tie it on the inside of the cage? If so how high would it have to be?

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
I started with cardboard up to 10", was suggested that.
But then make sure you have lot of light that goes in the cage. Lack of light had a negative effect on my piggy. Less active and less friendly. Since I doubled the grids instead, he's a totally different one. Active, popcorning and super friendly.

michellexgix

Cavy Slave
Yes I was wondering that, how to keep the light in with the carbored up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.