Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Is my skinny pig okay?

Squiiggles

Cavy Gazer
Hello! This is my first post to the forum. I have 3 girls at home, 2 of them are skinnies. My one skinny named Bean, is the pig who is worrying/confusing me. She is oldest (about a year and a half) and is the strangest/most unique pig I have owned. I have both cared for and worked with pigs for many years now and I honestly cannot compare her to any.

I obviously don't know everything but I'm hoping guys can either give me some opinions/ideas about this if something IS wrong or just tell me I'm a hypochondriac otherwise!

Alittle background info: They all live in a cage together over 14 square feet in size. The other 2 are very active both in cage and during floor time while Bean, if not eating, is usually sleeping in a snuggle sac. Everyone gets very regular health check, never have they ever had anything come up so its just routine check ups. They get fresh veggies every day and such. Bean isn't picky with her veg, and she eats her hay. I worry sometimes she eats alittle too much even for a skinny pig. She doesn't appear depressed or lethargic. Almost just lazy maybe.

Ever since I have had Bean she has always been this way. She is very socially awkward with other guinea pigs, and by that I mean she will go out of her way to avoid interacting with other pigs. While I'm trying to not come off like I'm placing human emotions on her, she will walk away and ignore other pigs and during floor time as well as in the cage and will either stand by herself or only seeked to interact with humans. When we got her she was alone but we had gotten her a buddy only week later. No matter how slowly we introduced/weened them together Bean would fight and bite if our other pig tried to interact with her at all. To this day she will still fight the other girls/any pig if they interact with her. The only improvement I think she sort of conditioned them to not interact with her now so they can live together with less fighting because they leave her be. She has never bitten me or any other person and is very sweet with people oddly enough. (Shes a kisser) I just find this weird because while i understand normally pigs will fight for order and dominance I find they learn to get along over time, and with Bean I don't see over that she has. The only change as mentioned is in this is the other pigs and how they just give her space. Has anyone ever had a pig like this? Is this neurological? Is it just her personality? I just wish I knew because I feel bad seeing her alone all the time. I know Guinea Pigs tend to be pretty social even if it doesn't look like it's bothering Bean.

Squiiggles

Cavy Gazer
Also here's some pictures of her!
She also has the buldgiest eyes I've ever seen on a pig
Screenshot_20200103-152249_Video Player.jpg20200103_152307.jpg

petluv

Cavy Slave
Some piggies are loners, just like people. If he once was social and then suddenly became antisocial then there might be something to be concerned about. So personality wise, since he has always been that way, he is probably ok. I don’t know about any medical issues or concerns you may have about his appearance, the eyes etc.

Squiiggles

Cavy Gazer
Some piggies are loners, just like people. If he once was social and then suddenly became antisocial then there might be something to be concerned about. So personality wise, since he has always been that way, he is probably ok. I don’t know about any medical issues or concerns you may have about his appearance, the eyes etc.

I mean in terms of her eyes they are really buldgy and she eats ALOT and drinks more than the 2 other pigs. I was worried about it maybe being thyroid related or even diabetes but my vet tested (earlier on though) and said she seemed fine. I try to feed lower sugar veg like parsley, cucumber, green pepper, and such. Is there anything else I could do? Do you think based off her appearance she could have maybe an underlying issue with that?20200103_192447.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't really see a problem with her eyes. Some of them just bulge more than others.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
They simply appear to bulge more because they have no hair around them. They look perfectly normal to me. And yes, a skinny has a high metabolism in order to keep it warm and that high metabolism includes both eating and pooping more than haired cavies.

Cathryn

Cavy Slave
Hello! This is my first post to the forum. I have 3 girls at home, 2 of them are skinnies. My one skinny named Bean, is the pig who is worrying/confusing me. She is oldest (about a year and a half) and is the strangest/most unique pig I have owned. I have both cared for and worked with pigs for many years now and I honestly cannot compare her to any.

I obviously don't know everything but I'm hoping guys can either give me some opinions/ideas about this if something IS wrong or just tell me I'm a hypochondriac otherwise!

Alittle background info: They all live in a cage together over 14 square feet in size. The other 2 are very active both in cage and during floor time while Bean, if not eating, is usually sleeping in a snuggle sac. Everyone gets very regular health check, never have they ever had anything come up so its just routine check ups. They get fresh veggies every day and such. Bean isn't picky with her veg, and she eats her hay. I worry sometimes she eats alittle too much even for a skinny pig. She doesn't appear depressed or lethargic. Almost just lazy maybe.

Ever since I have had Bean she has always been this way. She is very socially awkward with other guinea pigs, and by that I mean she will go out of her way to avoid interacting with other pigs. While I'm trying to not come off like I'm placing human emotions on her, she will walk away and ignore other pigs and during floor time as well as in the cage and will either stand by herself or only seeked to interact with humans. When we got her she was alone but we had gotten her a buddy only week later. No matter how slowly we introduced/weened them together Bean would fight and bite if our other pig tried to interact with her at all. To this day she will still fight the other girls/any pig if they interact with her. The only improvement I think she sort of conditioned them to not interact with her now so they can live together with less fighting because they leave her be. She has never bitten me or any other person and is very sweet with people oddly enough. (Shes a kisser) I just find this weird because while i understand normally pigs will fight for order and dominance I find they learn to get along over time, and with Bean I don't see over that she has. The only change as mentioned is in this is the other pigs and how they just give her space. Has anyone ever had a pig like this? Is this neurological? Is it just her personality? I just wish I knew because I feel bad seeing her alone all the time. I know Guinea Pigs tend to be pretty social even if it doesn't look like it's bothering Bean.
My bore is the same. Ok with people. Can't be in with a buddy. Doest seem to impact on his health this far. I just make sure he has a great snuggle bed to keep him feel safe and warm :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.