Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General guinea pigs outside

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
is it okay for guinea pigs to have time to run outside in the grass??

what’s a good temp for them to be out??

how long should they be out?

is regular grass okay for them to eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Regular grass is OK if it hasn't been treated with a pesticide or recently fertilized. But start them out VERY slowly. Eating too much green grass all at once can cause bloat. Put them out for maybe five minutes the first time, then increase it by a minute or two every two to three days.

Guinea pigs do better in cooler temperatures rather than warmer ones. They can die of heat stroke at anything above 85 degrees. High sixties or low seventies is best.

They'll need to be in a corral of some sort, or you may lose them under a bush or the house or some other impossible-to-get-out-of hiding place. You also need to stay out with them to protect them from birds, cats, dogs, and stinging insects.

They might be happier if you just cut the grass with some scissors and brought it in for them. Many pigs are afraid of the wide open spaces, and won't move unless there's some sort of shelter over them. You could use a large cardboard box with the sides cut out for that, or a small table, or some cloth draped over the end of the corral.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I've tried bringing my guinea pigs outside before. They were really freaked out by the whole thing so I haven't done it since. I also feed them regular grass a couple of times a week (not in winter, of course) and they love it. I've never had problems with grass, but I do suggest you introduce it slowly, just like any other fruit or vegetable.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Two of my piggies do fine being penned up outside to graze (supervised!) for awhile. The other is terrified of the big open sky and wants to hide under me.

Make sure they aren't in direct sunlight, or that at least part of their pen stays in the shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.