Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Future Guinea Mom + Love This Site!

Cavy Enthusiast

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and decided to jump in after exploring the forum, spectator style, for a week.
I must say I learned SO much and can't wait to be a piggy mom. :)

About Me
  • I'm a non-traditional college student (I'm 2.5-3 yrs behind due to gap years)
  • I absolutely ADORE the "science" of Business, and wish to be an operations manager one day.
  • The only pets I've ever had were budgies a hamster.
  • I love video games, cooking, Steven Universe (lol), and reading.

Why No Pigs Yet:

• I'm still plenty reliant on my parents for income , and...
  • ...any income I DO make is very inconsistent and not enough for emergency vet costs
  • I'm living in an apartment, with a roommate, not enough space, and no small pet policy
  • I can't financially 100% independently care for them yet.

Question, Though:

Has this site gone relatively inactive?
All the threads I've been reading are around the 2005 - 2013 range.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

This site is nowhere near inactive. It's likely.that whatever you're searching for has been back that far, but this site has been around for quite some time and there is a LOT of information here.

That said, I have to say this. I don't want to curb your enthusiasm for being a piggy mom. They are wonderful little creatures that bring a tremendous amount of joy to my life.

Which brings me to my next statement. It's not a question of IF your pig will require medical treatment, but WHEN. If you are not financially independent and cannot afford vet visits I would strongly advise against getting pigs at this stage of your life. They require exotic vets which are more difficult to come by, and are more expensive. It isn't fair to the pigs to have medical care denied them because mom can't afford it. And they WILL require it.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean here. But part of being a responsible pet owner will require vet visits, and piggie vets will be costly. If this is the reason why you havent gotten them yet then I applaud you for holding back. Definitely wait until you're more secure, and we'd love to have you here whether you've got pigs or not!

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Cavy Enthusiast! I'm a newbie myself, one pig with plans to get a second, and I also poked around on the site for a while before finally setting up an account. This is a good place to be; lots of accurate information and knowledgeable people, and advice and support when you need it.

No, the site isn't inactive. There's still people posting on a regular basis. At the top of the page, click on "New Posts" - that will give you a list of the most recent posts and news feeds. You can also set your preferences to show threads from newest to oldest, but I don't have that process memorized. :)

TedValentine

Cavy Gazer
Oh they are so cute. I am also willing to have a pair.

Cavy Enthusiast

Cavy Gazer
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Which brings me to my next statement. It's not a question of IF your pig will require medical treatment, but WHEN. If you are not financially independent and cannot afford vet visits I would strongly advise against getting pigs at this stage of your life. They require exotic vets which are more difficult to come by, and are more expensive. It isn't fair to the pigs to have medical care denied them because mom can't afford it. And they WILL require it.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean here. But part of being a responsible pet owner will require vet visits, and piggie vets will be costly. If this is the reason why you havent gotten them yet then I applaud you for holding back. Definitely wait until you're more secure, and we'd love to have you here whether you've got pigs or not!

You're not being mean, I just wasnt clear that I will NOT get any pets until there's a vet fund :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You are doing the right thing in waiting until you are secure financially before taking on piggies. I am researching insurance for my piggie in addition to an emergency vet fund. There is a thread about that in one of the forums.

Take time and look through tacked post in the forums. There is a lot of good information contained in them. Many of the basic questions are answered in those tacked post.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.