Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Guinea Pigs

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
I have 2 new guinea pigs and have researched every detail I can about them but feel google is not enough so I decided to start this Topic on caring and Behavior and things to look for and do and not do.
I have a 3/4 months old Named Luna that i have purchased from a local Petco.
Then Nahla who is 29 days old and I have rescued from a local Humane society. I got her for companionship with Luna as I do know they are social and prefer to have a friend. They have been with each other in their new cage (plus I made a play area about 10Ft big for them for some floor time) and I noticed that Luna is not as active as Nahla. When I say not as active I mean she hides mainly all day in her hide away house I see her eat here and their or drag her food in her house to hide and eat which I googled as well and found was normal. At first Nahla would hide under Luna and run around trying to play with Luna but more recently I have noticed now hides under Nahla I do not really see her being social or enjoying Nahla’s presents as much as Nahla enjoys hers I feed them fresh veggies 2 times a day and Nahla none stop loves to eat while Luna is pickier and will refuse to eat unless we are not around I do catch her eating pellets but not often and I some what catch her drink water. Nahla does not mind as much human interaction due to being a rescue and having had that as where Luna will run and be terrified even attempting to pick her up to put her in the play area. Is something wrong? I feel something is wrong or maybe I over worry But please and advise would be helpful as to why my Luna is acting a little different then Nahla, when i first got Luna she was a more laid back guinea pig but would popcorn around the cage until Nahla came and now Luna does not seem interested in much she does not chatter as much as Nahla she is just kind of “there” which makes me feel bad.

Thank you in advance for any advise IMG_1727.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
First possibility I can think of... Luna was fine being by herself in the cage, but adding Nahla is making her feel crowded. You said "new cage" -- the one in your picture, or a different one that's bigger? Two guinea pigs really need a bare minimum of 7.5 square feet of living space (a play area that they're not in all the time doesn't count), and more is much better. Most pet store cages don't have nearly enough space for one guinea pig, much less two. So unless you've already upgraded past the pet store cage, having a bigger cage might help Luna feel more secure and thus more lively.

Another possibility... Luna and Nahla just have different personalities. That's totally normal. Some are more outgoing; some are shyer. And you said that Luna is from a pet store, while Nahla is from a shelter, so that could add into it as well -- Nahla is more accustomed to people. In this case, just give Luna some time. She'll get used to you at some point.

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
There home is about 6/7 feet i bought a bigger cage when i adopted Luna just knowing they were going to need space how ever I know I have one 1 hiding house for the both of them and would like to get another for them to have their own in there play area I do however use Nahlas cat cage (taken apart) to add extra hide spots which they do like but Nahla will usually hide with Luna which seems to bug her some times because she will push her or nudge her away

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Forget the hiding houses. All hideys in a guinea pig cage need at least two doors so no pig can trap another. And [MENTION=44864]MaiaBex[/MENTION] is right -- that cage isn't nearly large enough for two pigs.

And on another note, you have, I hope, turned them both over and compared their private parts to make sure they're both the same sex. Pet store employees are notoriously bad about sexing pigs, and some humane societies aren't much better.

Here's some recommended reading for new pigs: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
So the 6/7 foot cage is not long enough? And got it i will deff look into a 2 door hidey house i was reading some tubes like the Piping the white ones were good would you guys recommend this? Sorry for so many questions this is my first guinea babies i want to get them everything they need deff with them being younger I want them to be healthy and happy. I do have a vet appointment scheduled for them just for a well check up and make sure they are healthy is the sex something they check there as well? Or how would you recommend checking the sex the only one who lets me hold her with out panicking is Nahla who I was told has seen the vet due to being taken in at 2 weeks to the Humane society and being malnutrition

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
I have only owned them both since the 15th of april so I want to get everything they need thank you all for your advise [emoji3590]

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
Forget the hiding houses. All hideys in a guinea pig cage need at least two doors so no pig can trap another. And [MENTION=44864]MaiaBex[/MENTION] is right -- that cage isn't nearly large enough for two pigs.

And on another note, you have, I hope, turned them both over and compared their private parts to make sure they're both the same sex. Pet store employees are notoriously bad about sexing pigs, and some humane societies aren't much better.

Here's some recommended reading for new pigs: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
I was able to get a picture of both of their bottoms

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use plastic pipe for tunnels since you'll have to be cleaning them all the time. Tunnels are best without a floor and can be something as simple as a cardboard box with openings cut on two sides. Remove any tape that they may chew. Or drape fabric or a lightweight scarf over a corner of the cage. It can be secured with binder clips if needed.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I think a bigger cage and multiple two-entrance hideys will really help Luna come out of herself, and make both piggies much happier! With two piggies, two of everything (hideys, food bowl, hay pile, water bottle ) is always a must. They're very pretty girls! :)

It could very much be a case of different personalities and different backgrounds that affects their behavior. At the humane society, Nahla would have gotten lots of positive socialization and a well rounded diet with veggies, etc. At the petsore, Luna would've been handled little, if at all, and got only pellets and small amounts of hay. She might have to learn to like veggies. Most petcos also have way too many piggies together in a small cage, so she may have been bullied, and that could be why she's also nervous around Nahla. I wouldn't be too worried unless Luna starts showing signs of being sick, like sneezing, runny nose, etc.

It will take them about a week or two to really settle in and feel safe and happy enough to be out in the open. Everything's new for them right now: the sounds of your home, you, a new cage and cage mate. It could really help Luna if you put some hay, veggies and pellets just outside her hidey! Then she can eat while feeling safe. Try feeding them favorite veggies by hand to get them used to your hands and voice.

It's awesome you already got them some cute little toys! But there's two things I couldn't help but notice in their picture....You should get rid of the seed chews right away. Even though they're marketed for piggies, anything with seeds is dangerous for them. They're a big choking hazard, and very hard to digest, which can lead to intestinal blockages. Also, it looks like their pellets have colored biscuits and possibly seeds in them. Pellets like that are often too high in calcium and lack important nutrients ( it would be like us eating potato chips lol ) The best pellets are Oxbow and KMS! They might cost a little more but are well, well worth it. My piggies love Oxbow, and once they started eating their fur got so shiny and healthy!

bpatters' link for new owners is fantastic. This site could also really help you! www.guineapigmanual.com It's very readable, fun, and packed with important info.

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
I think a bigger cage and multiple two-entrance hideys will really help Luna come out of herself, and make both piggies much happier! With two piggies, two of everything (hideys, food bowl, hay pile, water bottle ) is always a must. They're very pretty girls! :)

It could very much be a case of different personalities and different backgrounds that affects their behavior. At the humane society, Nahla would have gotten lots of positive socialization and a well rounded diet with veggies, etc. At the petsore, Luna would've been handled little, if at all, and got only pellets and small amounts of hay. She might have to learn to like veggies. Most petcos also have way too many piggies together in a small cage, so she may have been bullied, and that could be why she's also nervous around Nahla. I wouldn't be too worried unless Luna starts showing signs of being sick, like sneezing, runny nose, etc.

It will take them about a week or two to really settle in and feel safe and happy enough to be out in the open. Everything's new for them right now: the sounds of your home, you, a new cage and cage mate. It could really help Luna if you put some hay, veggies and pellets just outside her hidey! Then she can eat while feeling safe. Try feeding them favorite veggies by hand to get them used to your hands and voice.

It's awesome you already got them some cute little toys! But there's two things I couldn't help but notice in their picture....You should get rid of the seed chews right away. Even though they're marketed for piggies, anything with seeds is dangerous for them. They're a big choking hazard, and very hard to digest, which can lead to intestinal blockages. Also, it looks like their pellets have colored biscuits and possibly seeds in them. Pellets like that are often too high in calcium and lack important nutrients ( it would be like us eating potato chips lol ) The best pellets are Oxbow and KMS! They might cost a little more but are well, well worth it. My piggies love Oxbow, and once they started eating their fur got so shiny and healthy!

bpatters' link for new owners is fantastic. This site could also really help you! www.guineapigmanual.com It's very readable, fun, and packed with important info.

Thank you so much I will look into this as well and take the seeds away i plan on getting them more things i started with Luna only and then decided to get Nahla so originally every thing was for 1 but i do want to upgrade and get them much more things i have 2 water spouts 2 bowls and make 2 piles of fresh veggies 2 times a day i typically do romaine lettuce and green lettuce and throw in a little carrots and cucumbers, ive tried brussel sprouts, kale, and green bell pepper and i was reading fruits at least 1 time a week so i got them a apple some straw berrys the cherry tomatos and some kiwis ive only attempted strawberry as of right now and they have a hay feeder? I believe its called it sits on the other side of the cage where they can get as much hay a day as they would like. Thank you for this im happy to know any and all information i can find!! I will read the link as well

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
Also i googled a bunch and sat with them with some lap time and found out they are both girls but i will also be taking them to the vet to be 100000% positive [emoji3590]

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much I will look into this as well and take the seeds away i plan on getting them more things i started with Luna only and then decided to get Nahla so originally every thing was for 1 but i do want to upgrade and get them much more things i have 2 water spouts 2 bowls and make 2 piles of fresh veggies 2 times a day i typically do romaine lettuce and green lettuce and throw in a little carrots and cucumbers, ive tried brussel sprouts, kale, and green bell pepper and i was reading fruits at least 1 time a week so i got them a apple some straw berrys the cherry tomatos and some kiwis ive only attempted strawberry as of right now and they have a hay feeder? I believe its called it sits on the other side of the cage where they can get as much hay a day as they would like. Thank you for this im happy to know any and all information i can find!! I will read the link as well

Glad to help! It sounds like you're doing great!! :)

I give my piggies green leaf lettuce, yellow and green bell pepper, and little bits of carrots and cucumber everyday. Bell pepper is important every day for vitamin c, and piggies love it!! You're feeding great veggies. There's only one thing to be aware of with kale and brussel sprouts; they're very high in calcium and can be gassy, so just make sure they only get small amounts of those once a week. My piggies enjoy apple, oranges, strawberries, or kiwi as their once a week fruit treat.

I used to have two hay feeders/ hay racks, but then I realized my piggies love to have hay in a pile on the floor of their cage! They burrow and play with it, and eat more than they used to in the hay rack, which is awesome :)

Kaytelyn

Cavy Slave
Glad to help! It sounds like you're doing great!! :)

I give my piggies green leaf lettuce, yellow and green bell pepper, and little bits of carrots and cucumber everyday. Bell pepper is important every day for vitamin c, and piggies love it!! You're feeding great veggies. There's only one thing to be aware of with kale and brussel sprouts; they're very high in calcium and can be gassy, so just make sure they only get small amounts of those once a week. My piggies enjoy apple, oranges, strawberries, or kiwi as their once a week fruit treat.

I used to have two hay feeders/ hay racks, but then I realized my piggies love to have hay in a pile on the floor of their cage! They burrow and play with it, and eat more than they used to in the hay rack, which is awesome :)

I feel glad to hear this thank you also do you know of any good toys or things to help them naturally cut nails or any tips on how to ensure their nails are good for them luna has sharper nails and i have a vet appointment Wednesday for both but due to covid they stated they will clip their nails this time but wouldnt be able to teach me until a later day

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.