Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Guinea Pig Lump On Chin/Neck Area

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Carrot has a weight of 1075g that have not changed in the past 2 weeks (I've been weighing him every day as he has had some repiratory issues). He is male and just passed his 4th birthday. He has been eating normally. He's a smooth haired guinea pig and male.

Today when he was out on floor time I noticed he had a swelling around his chin/neck area below his mouth. I picked him up and one side was hard and considerably larger that the other. It felt like a hard lump. It was covered by fur, so hard to see unless from the right angle.
Anybody know what it is? Should I take him to the emergency vet or see how he is?

I have also posted this on GuineaLynx forum but nobody has replied yet and i am very worried.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Should I post a photo or are the details I have provided enough?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It sounds like an abscess or possibly a cyst. I doubt you need to get to an emergency vet unless he's not eating or anything else is amiss, but I would get him in Monday or as early next week as possible.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, we just booked him in with our nearest cavy savvy vet for Monday

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Found out it was an abscess, luckily nothing more serious. The vet took out some of the pus and confirmed it was (that was yesterday) and now it's gone down a considerable amount. He also had some antibiotics.
Thanks for your suggestions.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Unless he took out a substantial amount of the pus, it's doubtful it will go away with only antibiotics. Usually either the thing is removed surgically, or else lanced and flushed several times daily.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I think it was a fair amount that he took out - we are going back next week to see if it needs to be lanced or anything else done to it.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Mine had a very similar lump/abscess on his throat, we only did a round of antibiotics (my Cavy vet likes to try only antibiotics before sticking it or opening them up). It's been gone ever since, and that was almost 5 months ago.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
It's very difficult to write this, but unfortunately Carrot passed away yesterday. :'( He might still be coming with us to see if we can work out why he died.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's possible the abscess burst inside. Did you decide to take him in anyway?

I am sorry for your loss.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
He didn't end up coming with us, but why ever he died he had as good a life as I could give him. RIP :(

BingoandBrownie

Cavy Slave
I am so sor
ry about what happened to Carrot. I hope he died happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.