Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Apple tree sticks? on ebay

natzback

Cavy Slave
Are these safe for piggers? Cut from own farm,etc
If they are ok, should I bake them first like you do birds?

What other things do they like to chew on to wear down the teeth?

Thanks!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Well hay is the most important thing for wearing down their teeth. Things to chew on aren't really so much for wearing teeth down as entertainment. Chews only wear down the front teeth while the back teeth are just as if not more important. They should have unlimited hay both for their teeth and overall health and nutrition. While there are some exceptions pigs aren't usually huge on chewing either. Apple branches are safe toys though and some do like them. Mine mostly just like peeling bark off things. Wiping them clean is usually enough so long as you know they are not sprayed with anything or otherwise contaminated. Baking as an added precaution wouldn't hurt though.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Apple tree limbs are great for pigs to chew on! You just need to be sure they haven't been treated with any pesticides. I have seen the guy "(Reference removed by administrator)" ? selling on ebay and he seems fine to order from.
Some pigs will like them, and some pigs won't. I have an apple tree of my own and my pigs adore the branches--they will strip them of every piece of bark on them. Some people have reported that their pigs were not interested in them at all.
Organic dried fruits are okay for them so long as they havent been treated with a bunch of preservatives... but honestly an occassional piece of fresh fruit is plenty good for them and cheaper too.
My pigs favorite chew toy seems to be their untreated wood hidey house and just plain ole hay.

Last edited by a moderator:

natzback

Cavy Slave
Cool - thanks for the input, I finally remembered carrots and cilantro at the store, I figured that was a good start at least, the conditions they were in when I got them, they probably figured they hit "piggie heaven"
I don't want to give them too much to start with, I am also giving them alfalfa and also timothy, although, they seem way more interested in the alfalfa but at their age I figure it's ok.
I may try the apple sticks just to give them something to do.
:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.