Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Q&A, Comments, Feedback about Contests

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please use this thread for general comments, questions, feedback, etc. Thanks@

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to suspend voting until a certain time. I have seen before when forms do photo contests and don't wait to vote the first few photos usually win just because they have been up the longest and had more of a chance to get more votes. Also I'm having trouble uploading photos from my iPhone. I don't know if this is a change or just my phone being buggy.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I can't do that. I don't have the technical means and I've already got hundreds of dollars invested in getting the enhancements to the point that we can use it as it is right now.

Everyone has a 5 vote limit. Once a number of entries are submitted, people will have to rearrange their votes. And if you don't win this time, you can resubmit your photo in another contest. I'm extending the first week's contest to be longer than a week to give everyone a chance to get the hang of it. Also, depending on the success and participation, I'll see about adding 2nd and 3rd place prizes.

I concede it's not perfect, but let's just work together to do the best we can. Let's roll with it for while and see if it works out. I'm not going to allow something that ends up being unfair in the end to stand. I think it will work out, but if not, we'll make adjustments.

Pigluv

Cavy Slave
I am pretty excited for these contests! I think they are gonna be a lot of fun and I love the idea of the new 'LIKE' button. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
That's cool, I was just trying to relay my experience from other forums I have been on. I think the interaction between members and the photos will be fun. The forum looks wonderful BTW.

Guineapig2012

Cavy Slave
Does the like button only show on other photos and not yours.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
If you post a picture and then find another you like better, can you request that the first one be removed so you can post a different one? Understandably you would lose your votes on the first picture but you never know when you might get a last minute candid shot :) Wasn't sure if that would be too much for you guys to do or not since you have to remove them. Is there any way to give the OP the privilege to delete their own posts?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you post a picture and then find another you like better, can you request that the first one be removed so you can post a different one? Understandably you would lose your votes on the first picture but you never know when you might get a last minute candid shot :) Wasn't sure if that would be too much for you guys to do or not since you have to remove them. Is there any way to give the OP the privilege to delete their own posts?

I designed it that way from the beginning. It's already there. When you LIKE a post, you will see the button turn from a LIKE to an UNLIKE. Just click on the UNLIKE button and you get your vote back to use somewhere else. Rather fun!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Would it be possible to have all the entries on the same page? It seems like later entries would be overlooked because they are on pages that are farther back and people might not bother to scroll that far.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Would it be possible to have all the entries on the same page? It seems like later entries would be overlooked because they are on pages that are farther back and people might not bother to scroll that far.

That's true.
Maybe if all the photos could be put into a gallery or something? Previewing all the thumbnails on one page would make it easier.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's true.
Maybe if all the photos could be put into a gallery or something? Previewing all the thumbnails on one page would make it easier.
Sorry, not going to happen for a while.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
if i like something on this page will it cound tord my 5 likes? ...

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
if i like something on this page will it cound tord my 5 likes? ...
The 5 like limit is per thread, so you have 5 for this thread, too.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I designed it that way from the beginning. It's already there. When you LIKE a post, you will see the button turn from a LIKE to an UNLIKE. Just click on the UNLIKE button and you get your vote back to use somewhere else. Rather fun!

I meant the picture you actually post, not the likes. :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I meant the picture you actually post, not the likes. :)
Oh sorry, no, once you submit a photo, that's it. I think I would have to pay my developers more money to write a script to recalculate likes if a post is deleted. I can't afford it at the moment. You'll have opportunities to submit better photos in future contests.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
okay, anouther Q. lol so alot of people have been posting pics.. and i understanf you can like them.. but im almost outta likes and i wanna save what i have till the end.. but some of the pics are just cool and I'd like to encourage the poster.. can i like write out a message like this?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
okay, anouther Q. lol so alot of people have been posting pics.. and i understanf you can like them.. but im almost outta likes and i wanna save what i have till the end.. but some of the pics are just cool and I'd like to encourage the poster.. can i like write out a message like this?
I know it's tempting, but no. If I allow people to write posts, like "awwww, how cute", the thread will be full of conversations and NOT photos and will take forever to look at. So, no. I'm sorry. I know you want to reply to the photos. So do I, but no, you cannot.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
I know it's tempting, but no. If I allow people to write posts, like "awwww, how cute", the thread will be full of conversations and NOT photos and will take forever to look at. So, no. I'm sorry. I know you want to reply to the photos. So do I, but no, you cannot.

okay, haha i thought id ask :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.