Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! I Just got my first Skinny pig.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone.
The site suggested I 'introduce myself' so here I am. I just got my first Skinny pig, I've wanted one for years! I got 'Harry' (get it?! lol) off of Kijiji. A mom was getting rid of him because her daughter didn't take care of him. I drove for an hour to get him, took him and his very dirty cage home and immediately switched him to fleece bedding. He is currently in a typical rabbit size cage from a pet store. I am building a 2x4 CC cage for him. He is only a few months old and quite skittish but I'm working on bonding with him. I talk to him every day and take him out every night for lap time. He eats his veggies in my lap. I know its awful to have piggies by themselves so I am keeping an eye out on Kijijji for another skinny pig. I have also reached out to a local rescue but they don't get skinny's often that I see. I'm also quite nervous about introducing another pig to him, I don't want them to fight or for him to get hurt! Plus I wouldn't be able to keep another one unless they can go together so that's also a little nerve wracking. Harry joins our zoo of 2 dogs, 3 cats and 2 ferrets. I had a hedgehog until a few months ago when he passed away at the old age of 5! Quite a nice life for a hedgie. I'm very glad I had this forum recommended to me, as I find it very important to have somewhere I can ask questions and find advice, and see pictures of cage set ups etc. Looking forward to getting to know you all and your little ones! :love:
PhotoGrid_1457113367183.jpg

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Awwww <3 good job! He looks like he will be happy with you.
For a friend you can get any other breed of guinea, doesn't have to be a skinny pig, or you could get him neutered and after 2 months get him a "wife"

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Awwww <3 good job! He looks like he will be happy with you.
For a friend you can get any other breed of guinea, doesn't have to be a skinny pig, or you could get him neutered and after 2 months get him a "wife"
Thank you for the info! I am actually impartial to Skinny's unfortunately :( but I am also debating getting a female off kijiji and having her spayed. Just not sure how much the cost would be! Or perhaps getting a female and having him neutered. I've just heard its better to have a male and female together. :)

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Thank you for rescuing. Harry is adorable.

You can keep a haired pig with a skinny. Either way you'll have to be aware of keeping his buddy's nails short and smooth since he doesn't have fur to protect him.

Thank you! I will make sure to keep the nails short. I actually have someone coming to my house to cut Harry's nails because they are quite long and I don't feel comfortable cutting all black nails! I don't want him to scratch himself.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Same-sex pigs can live together just fine if their partners are carefully chosen and the cages are large enough. Surgery on guinea pigs is risky because they don't respond well to anesthesia. It's also fairly expensive. But if you decide to do it, neutering male is less costly and less risky than spaying a female.

You're partial to skinnies, or impartial?

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Same-sex pigs can live together just fine if their partners are carefully chosen and the cages are large enough. Surgery on guinea pigs is risky because they don't respond well to anesthesia. It's also fairly expensive. But if you decide to do it, neutering male is less costly and less risky than spaying a female.

You're partial to skinnies, or impartial?

Oh alright, I have read some bad stories about males with males. I think I will try to get one from a rescue and then maybe they will take him back if it doesn't work out between the two. I am partial to skinnies, my mistake.

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness he is absolutely adorable!!! :) that's wonderful that you decided to take him in and support him with a warm loving home. Welcome to the forum. I have two male guinea pigs who are both young, only a month apart, and get along very well, despite their opposing personalities; it's always a 50/50 chance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A good rescue will let you bring him in and pick out his own mate, and then take the new one back if it doesn't work. And do please get one from a rescue instead of buying one. You may have to wait to find one, but you'll be rescuing a pig that needs a home, and not contributing to the horrible breeding mills that supply pet stores.

BUT... You will need larger than 2x4 cage for two males. A 2x5 is the smallest I'd put two males in, and a 2x6 would be better.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness he is absolutely adorable!!! :) that's wonderful that you decided to take him in and support him with a warm loving home. Welcome to the forum. I have two male guinea pigs who are both young, only a month apart, and get along very well, despite their opposing personalities; it's always a 50/50 chance.

Thank you! I guess i'll just have to see how it plays out :) for now, I just give him lots of attention and cuddle time. <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.