Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Feeding baby pig alfalfa when he lives with an older pig?

MochiLover

Cavy Slave
I have a young guinea pig and he lives with another guinea pig that is over a year old. I don’t want my older pig to eat the alfalfa does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? Maybe I can just give them both Timothy hay but give the young pig vegetables high in calcium? If that’s a good idea what vegetables would be best and how much would I give him?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep. Timothy for both, and take the baby out for a parsley sprig a couple of times a day.

MochiLover

Cavy Slave
Yep. Timothy for both, and take the baby out for a parsley sprig a couple of times a day.
Okay, thank you! Should I also give him romaine lettuce as well as his usual vegetables ( bell pepper and leaf lettuce)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd avoid romaine. In some pigs, it causes excess calcium excretion which can contribute to bladder stones. It doesn't bother others, but there's no way to know which is which. Safer to just avoid it.

He can have a variety of veggies -- small pieces of carrots and tomatoes, corn silks and inner husks, bits of fruit, radicchio and other lettuces except iceberg (no nutrition there).

MochiLover

Cavy Slave
I'd avoid romaine. In some pigs, it causes excess calcium excretion which can contribute to bladder stones. It doesn't bother others, but there's no way to know which is which. Safer to just avoid it.

He can have a variety of veggies -- small pieces of carrots and tomatoes, corn silks and inner husks, bits of fruit, radicchio and other lettuces except iceberg (no nutrition there).

okay, thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.