Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior male and female

Asaf Ayali

Cavy Slave
So, I adopted around 1 week ago 2 guinea pigs form a family around my house, I was sure both of them are male, but now i found out that one of the is a female, they are brother and sister. I do not want them to breed but i already saw the male "humping" the female, not sure if its too late or not but what can i do?

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Im in the exact predicament. .. ive had to seperate them, but i think its all to late :(

pigger123

Cavy Slave
She might be pregnant, she might not be. Keep them separated. Guinea pig pregnancies last about 10 weeks. If there are no babies 10 weeks after the day you separated them, she's not pregnant.

Asaf Ayali

Cavy Slave
That is not the thing i'm worried about, if she is then there is nothing to do with it but if she is not what do I do for her to not get pregnant?.

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Kep them seperated or get ur boy neutered when he is old enough

pigger123

Cavy Slave
The only way to prevent the male from mating with her is to either neuter him or keep him where he can't get to her. Keep them in separate cages, and don't let them interact at all even with supervision.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she is pregnant you need to separate the male immediately. As if she is pregnant you have no idea how far along and she can get pregnant again within minutes of birthing, the same applies for if she were to miscarry. If she isn't pregnant you need to do the exact same thing, separate the male immediately to prevent pregnancy. Neutering the boar is a more long term solution if you wish to house them together, but even then he still needs to be separate for at least three weeks after surgery (Read https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm ).

Also keep in mind male guinea pigs can be surprisingly agile when attempting to get to a sow, they may not look it but they can climb quite well so make sure her cage has a top on it. A male guinea pig can push up a lid and climb out their own cage, but they can't lift a lid to get into a sows cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Soecara. Separate immediately, and keep them separated. He can go back three weeks after being neutered.

Asaf Ayali

Cavy Slave
and at what age is it ok to neuter him?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Most vets will do it once he's 4 months old.

Asaf Ayali

Cavy Slave
To my eye, it seems like he is sort of trying to force it on her,sort of raping her, they have a hide house and they push it to the middle of th cage and then she is on one side and then he runs to her and she scream or does a sound and runs away or turns to him, is he actuality raping her? and i tried sepertaing them and they both stareted screaming and being sad...

Fay

Cavy Slave
Why have you not separated them yet??? Pregnancy is extremely hard on the sow because the babies are far developed by the time delivery happens. You're risking losing both your sow and any potential babies by allowing them to mate. Please, please separate them. Wait until you know for sure whether the female pig is pregnant or not, if she's not you can neuter the male and after 3 weeks after the neuter you can put them back together. If she is pregnant you could wait until babies arrive while keeping your fingers crossed she will make it out alive and then you might be able to have one male only cage and one female only cage or you could adopt out either the males or the females and keep a pair of the same gender pigs. Just please separate them, do not put them back together no matter how sad they look, it's not worth losing a pig over.

https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

You can read about what normal behavior is here:

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html
https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Last edited:

Asaf Ayali

Cavy Slave
I separated them already, and you say that if i will neuter him after 3 weeks they can live in the same cage with no problems?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Being able to live together peacefully is a matter of the personalities of the pigs so although it's likely, it's not 100% sure. However, neutering him will 100% prevent him from impregnating her. IF you keep him separate from her for 3 weeks after the surgery. No visits. No play dates. The 3 weeks is how long it takes for the remaining sperm to die off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.