Tab Content
No Recent Activity
About melinda

Basic Information

About melinda
Gallery:
Yes

Statistics


Total Posts
Total Posts
52
Posts Per Day
0.01
Last Post
Human pregnancy and rodents? 07-30-10 06:59 am
Total Thanks given
Total Thanks given
0
  • Thanks
    13 Rec'd/11 Posts
General Information
Last Activity
08-30-10 11:28 am
Joined
05-19-10

2 Friends

  1. ChatterandRusty ChatterandRusty is offline

    Cavy Slave

    ChatterandRusty
  2. GuineaLove GuineaLove is offline

    Cavy Slave

    GuineaLove
Showing Friends 1 to 2 of 2
No results to display...
No results to display...
No results to display...

Gallery Statistics

Statistics

Number of Photos
1
Number of Comments
2
Number of times photos viewed
9,486
Disk space used
0.1MB
Last Photo Uploaded
DSC_0005.JPG
our-first-c-26amp-3bc-cage
Last Comment Posted
our-first-c-26amp-3bc-cage
Thanks!

I made the bottom of each floor and the top of the cage first, so 4 - 2x5 grid pieces, attached with zip ties at each end and one in the middle on all connecting sides of each 14" piece.

Then I built the storage base. I built a strip of grids the length of the cage, attaching them to each other the same way (3 zip ties per connecting side). Once the center strip of grids was together, I put grids 2 deep at either end and then 2 in from each end (hope that made sense). Once the base was built, I attached the floor to it. On the bottom floor, I divided it into a 2x2 "kitchen" area (where all their food will go) and a 2x3 area (haven't decided what to put there yet...maybe bunkbeds?) by putting the end of one grid against the back wall and a second grid overlapping the first by half. This also added a lot of stability to the cage overall.

Next, I built all the sides I would need for every level by again making strips of grids. So, 6 - 1x2 strips and 6 - 1x5 strips. I zip tied the sides and back in the same way, adding the floor to each level as I went. I did not add the roof over the whole thing until the end though, to make it easier for fitting the coroplast in. I attached the front side only on the bottom part, so that I am now able to unhook the entire front side one level at a time for easy access (the whole front wall of each level drops open).

When the whole thing (grid-wise) was built, I measured for the coroplast by laying the coroplast on the floor with a 2x5 grid (the roof) on top of it. I traced the outside of the 2x5 piece, then added 5"on the sides and front (later trimmed the front part down) and roughly 12 1/2" extra on the back (to protect my wall). I cut it a little too large and forgot to allow for space to slide the coroplast in and out. I think I ended up eventually cutting everything about an inch smaller that what I measured for. I repeated the process for the different areas of the cage. Once the coroplast was the right size and shape, I scored it gently and made all the boxes I would need. I taped the boxes shut at the corners except in the kitchen (the only area where I am using litter -- yesterday's news, in my case -- the rest will be fleece bedding). I left the kitchen floor box un-taped in the front so that when I go to clean it, I can open the front of the box and slide the used litter directly into the trash can rather than trying to lift and carry it.

I used latches like you would see at the end of a dog leash (2 for $3 from Home Depot) and 2 pieces of 10 ft long 3/4" PVC pipes (about $4 for both) for support because of the weight of the cage.

I ordered the ramps online and when they came, I cut the coroplast in the areas I wanted to place them. I also had to move the grids to overlap the one next to them to avoid cutting the grids.

I ended up using two bungee cords attached to the top at one end and the back at the other, to pull the top up and make it taut. The bungee cords are where the pigs shouldn't be able to reach.

So now, it is on to making the bedding. The brown fabric in the picture is terrycloth that I will be laying under the bedding I make.

Hope my instructions made sense.